Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

Glaurung

Liberal's alt
Shitposter
So far, Skyrim is playing like a consoletarded version of Morrowind with better graphics, better AI, and much better dungeons. Albeit, my biggest problem with the game is that the dungeons are completely linear - which is a shame, because their design could easily support alternate paths/secret doors/crossroads/etc, but I guess Bethesda was afraid that consoletards would get lost, so every dungeon is a corridor that ends the same place where it begins, to prevent backtracking. :roll:

Oh, and reduced skills for a mage, coupled with Alteration becoming completely useless.

Echo Mirage

Arcane

The Requiem install is having scripting errors and various other issues. At this point I am sick of reinstalling it all. Only for it to throw me conflict prompts to go dick around with papyrus and every other setting under the sun before booting me back to the main menu.

The other reason is that I just want to go grab some unleveled weapons and armor to mess around with before I abandon the game and get stuck into my RPG games backlog.

Grathanich

Novice
Skyrim Scaling Remover and Skyrim Unleashed come to mind, but to think of it I never had to use the console, tesvedit or papyrus to fix anything in Requiem yet.

mastroego

Arcane
Not sure what you mean by unleveled items, but I use Morrowloot and the monster deleveler by the ASIS author (ASIS - Encounter Zone).
These two might well be the most dramatically important mods I have in my installation.

Grathanich

Novice
What do you think of the ASIS encounter module? It is soft leveling like in SkyRe or a complete hardcore deleveling of all mobs?

Luzur

Good Sir
Anyone of you guys that know if Qaxes Winterhold Rebuilt works with Expanded Towns and Cities?

That town gives me some serious Ever-Burning-Kvatch vibes, and that is not tolerated.

Perkel

Arcane
Anyone of you guys that know if Qaxes Winterhold Rebuilt works with Expanded Towns and Cities?

Rule of a thumb is that if mod does something to one place and other mod does to this same place something else you have a conflict and it usually means they are not compatible unless there is a patch or mods themselves change very little in widely different places things.

Luzur

Good Sir
Rule of a thumb is that if mod does something to one place and other mod does to this same place something else you have a conflict and it usually means they are not compatible unless there is a patch or mods themselves change very little in widely different places things.

Well Qaxes only modify those 4 ruined houses behind the inn, while ETaC adds in more ruins around the town, like a city wall etc, thing is, i cant remember if it fucked around with those houses.

DraQ

Arcane
Skyrim is proving to be a pretty efficient cure for my post-DAI gaming depression disorder. It feels like an unholy mix of Morrowind with Oblivion, but closer to Morrowind in most respects that I actually care about.
That's actually pretty good characterization of Skyrim. There are even little bits of Daggerfall here and there. Plus, other than mechanical dumbing down and questlines, there are rather strong vibes of trying to make it feel like the earlier games and unlike OB at all costs.

It even has a minor faction you can join - Bard's College.
All factions are minor in Skyrim.
:troll:

shitload of non-joinable ones.
Most are just used for regulating NPC behaviour, though.

So far, Skyrim is playing like a consoletarded version of Morrowind with better graphics, better AI, and much better dungeons. Albeit, my biggest problem with the game is that the dungeons are completely linear - which is a shame, because their design could easily support alternate paths/secret doors/crossroads/etc, but I guess Bethesda was afraid that consoletards would get lost, so every dungeon is a corridor that ends the same place where it begins, to prevent backtracking. :roll:

Oh, and reduced skills for a mage, coupled with Alteration becoming completely useless.
More or less*.

Oblivion, OTOH, played like a recursively consoletarded version of consoletardation itself.
:prosper:
Truly, a mind-imploding experience.

A few larger dungeon complexes - especially ones intertwinned with exterior structures or containing faux-exterior areas - actually have interesting and non-linear structure.

Anyway, in terms of quality Skyrim sits somewhere between Morrowind and its expansions, so does Dragonborn from what I've seen.

hell bovine

Arcane
A few larger dungeon complexes - especially ones intertwinned with exterior structures or containing faux-exterior areas - actually have interesting and non-linear structure.

Anyway, in terms of quality Skyrim sits somewhere between Morrowind and its expansions, so does Dragonborn from what I've seen.
Dragonborn has some improvement in the NPC departments. Main enemy is a boring, standard bad guy (but hey, at least you are not the only special dragonborn snowflake anymore) that tends to get the "I'm immortal, you can't kill me" bug, but the evil mastermind (or rather mastertentacle) behind it is amusing. And the wizard in the mushroom is proper Telvanni.

DraQ

Arcane
And the wizard in the mushroom is proper Telvanni.
Well, he has mellowed out considerably, it seems.
:martini:
Although I suppose a Telvanni Nerevarine or at least Telvanni Nerevarine who has done quests for Neloth is decidedly non-canon now, because when a guy gives you 5 drakes (IIRC) for arguably the best fucking robe in vanilla game the ending kind of writes itself and yet, Neloth seems to be alive.

mastroego

Arcane
What do you think of the ASIS encounter module? It is soft leveling like in SkyRe or a complete hardcore deleveling of all mobs?

I'm totally happy with it.
It sets base levels for the various zones in the game, and adjusts them with a random component (plus or minus something) so they won't always be the same in all playthroughs.
But, generally, and statistically, "civilized areas" will be quite safer, while remote areas and dungeons will be populated by more dangerous foes.
DLCs are not included, but it doesn't break the immersion if two areas end up scaling to your level.
You won't notice in the flow of the experience.

With my current char I had to travel on roads at the beginning, and avoid going too deep in any specific "quest-tree".
Now I can go just about anywhere, even though I can be still killed fairly easily if I'm not careful.
(of course, there's a bunch of other mods installed to take care of difficulty and stuff)

I don't know how SkyRe works but I hope this answers your question anyway.

Grathanich

Novice
I'm totally happy with it.
It sets base levels for the various zones in the game, and adjusts them with a random component (plus or minus something) so they won't always be the same in all playthroughs.
But, generally, and statistically, "civilized areas" will be quite safer, while remote areas and dungeons will be populated by more dangerous foes.
DLCs are not included, but it doesn't break the immersion if two areas end up scaling to your level.
You won't notice in the flow of the experience.

With my current char I had to travel on roads at the beginning, and avoid going too deep in any specific "quest-tree".
Now I can go just about anywhere, even though I can be still killed fairly easily if I'm not careful.
(of course, there's a bunch of other mods installed to take care of difficulty and stuff)

I don't know how SkyRe works but I hope this answers your question anyway.
Thanks a lot, I will give it a try in my next PerMa playthrough!

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Is there any mod that makes the Dwarven Armor look more like the Dwemer Armor from Morrowind? Always liked the weird, mechanical look of the latter much more than the bland Roman gladiator-ish look of the former.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
:x Is there a mod to fix the reputation mechanics so I don't get a 300gp bounty for killing a dog in the middle of the wilderness?

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
An ice age, suffered through. Uncounted and untold wars. Volcanoes and storms. Uncountable plagues, such as the devestating black death. Advancement of the mind and civilization that is utterly staggering to even try to comprehend. A moment that truly set mankind apart as the only animal capable of uplifting itself through manipulation of it's natural world, in the industrial revolution. Utterly devestating world wars. A civilization progressed through to partial perfection so that without needing to sweat or strain, we may sit in comfortable chairs in a comfortably warm environment, having all of life's needs served to all of us collectively.

The highest point mankind has yet reached.

So that one may create . . a foxman being reprehensive about a yellow elf's butt.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
An ice age, suffered through. Uncounted and untold wars. Volcanoes and storms. Uncountable plagues, such as the devestating black death. Advancement of the mind and civilization that is utterly staggering to even try to comprehend. A moment that truly set mankind apart as the only animal capable of uplifting itself through manipulation of it's natural world, in the industrial revolution. Utterly devestating world wars. A civilization progressed through to partial perfection so that without needing to sweat or strain, we may sit in comfortable chairs in a comfortably warm environment, having all of life's needs served to all of us collectively.

The highest point mankind has yet reached.

So that one may create . . a foxman being reprehensible about a yellow elf's butt.
It's like

Except instead of the spaceship we've got a dildo.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
What are the current best texture mods for the game that won't murder the game? I had created what I thought to be the best combination of them using the Skyrim Mod Combiner to fuse together about a dozen different texture mods for the game but I kept getting constant CTDs when loading into the external Skyrim map. At first I thought it had to be a conflict between one of my other gameplay/quest/location mods, so I tried about a dozen load order variations but continued to get the CTDs. Last night I decided to disable my SMC texture mod (I'm using Mod Organizer, so switching mods in and out is fairly easy) and the problem finally went away. As such I'm fairly certain I went overboard with the textures.

And, yeah, I was using pretty much every performance boosting/stabilization mod and ini tweak known to man already.

My computer specs are:
i7 950 CPU
770 GTX (2GB)
8GB of RAM
Windows 7

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom