Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

circ

Arcane
Yeah I'm following the Wildcat author, but haven't looked into the mod since I don't have Skyrim installed anymore. Wanna plug Wildcat a little?

DraQ

Arcane
I have recently restarted with Requiem (obviously) but without my save having been tortured by several updates along the way, with Heavy Armory
with a bit editing done to the compatibility patch because it wasn't entirely clear which version of HA it was intended for and there were ID mismatches with ones I tried, also because HA weapons were sometimes pidgeonholed into reskins of the vanilla ones by the patch instead of conserving their different advanatages and drawbacks, finally, because reqtifying quarterstaves as they were would turn them into unstoppable murder machines
and Morrowloot replaced with some discrete mods handling separate artifacts
Morrowloot doesn't do adequate beef gating and pollutes the world with rare, but easily accessible very high level loot - it has its upsides, but after some reconsideration I no longer think they outweigh the problems
- one for Goldbrand, Fearstruck (generally Boethiah stuff) and some other artifact, another for Ice Blade of The Monarch, a bunch others for Lord's Mail, Morrowind's unique Rings, Chrysamere and Bipolar Blade - to go with mods for helms of Oreyn Bearclaw and Tohan already in use. 3DNPCs and Inigo are obviously in, but no Vilja (she was useful for utility reasons and put a lot of life into the game, but got too repetitive and irritating with time).

Low level Requiem requiring stamina management, target prioritization, workarounds for stuff that would just casually murder you toe-to-toe, clever tactics and numerous close calls really shines.
:love:
As for 3DNPCs, pretty much anything Anum-La or Rumarin says is an instant classic - that (or Inigo) is how you make a lulzy NPC, instead of that one-dimensional moron Minsc.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
:necro:

Are there any mods that work with the special edition that removes the scailing? I remember there was one for the original version. But I have no damn idea what it was called or if it would work without a script extender.

Is the "Ordinator - Perks of Skyrim" mod any good or is it just better to wait until the extender is released?

mastroego

Arcane
I'll be damned, for some reason I got the itch to play Skyrim, and here I am.
Sorry, Echo Mirage, can't help you, I don't have the special edition. I get the feeling there aren't many updated mods for it anyway.

So, I didn't want to get through the whole business of compatibility issues, unupdated mods and so on, so I decided to "keep it simple" and jump into the Requiem bandwagon too.
Turns out there's still a lot of little additions that I need and it's still hell to put it all together.
Marginally better than before, perhaps...
I think I have the gameplay mods installed and working anyway. Now I need to see if there are any SIMPLE graphical mods.
I did't even install the High Resolution pack, but if there's some simple graphical improvement mod that's worthwile, I might get it.

mastroego

Arcane
Grab at least these 4.
Add whatever on top (eg, CBBE, SAM, etc) to taste.

Skyrim Flora Overhaul - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/141/?
Static Mesh Improvement Mod - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/8655/?
Skyrim HD - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/607/?
Enhanced Lights and Effects - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/27043/?
Thanks Hirato, I never investigated that kind of stuff since I didn't have the rig for it.
Now I have a more powerful machine, but even then, I'm not sure I could handle all of that stuff. Most of those mods seem to pack hundreds and hundreds of MBs of textures....

Also, would Skyrim HD in fact be used in place of the official HD pack (which I haven't downloaded, so far)?
Thanks for any help :)

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Grab at least these 4.
Add whatever on top (eg, CBBE, SAM, etc) to taste.

Skyrim Flora Overhaul - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/141/?
Static Mesh Improvement Mod - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/8655/?
Skyrim HD - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/607/?
Enhanced Lights and Effects - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/27043/?
Thanks Hirato, I never investigated that kind of stuff since I didn't have the rig for it.
Now I have a more powerful machine, but even then, I'm not sure I could handle all of that stuff. Most of those mods seem to pack hundreds and hundreds of MBs of textures....

Also, would Skyrim HD in fact be used in place of the official HD pack (which I haven't downloaded, so far)?
Thanks for any help :)

Yeah, I wouldn't bother with the official HD texture pack

mastroego

Arcane
So it took me the cumulative spare-time of about 5 days to reach a working installation.
:negative:
I ended up installing a lot of graphical mods and an ENB too since apparently my rig now can handle it. Still I tried not to exaggerate when possible.
It does indeed look A LOT better than I was used to.
:incline:

Made it out of the first dungeon. The realistic lighting mod I added made it so that it was REALLY dark in most places, finding the first torch was HUGE.
I mostly avoided fights/tried to support the NPCs on my side.
I already found out that I cannot really face enemies equipped with 2-handed weapons and armor at Level 1... Sneaked past the bear for the same reason.

Now I am out in the open, free, and about to know how difficult Requiem really is...

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Requiem doesn't level scale, so remember that when you level. Also, you could've poisoned the bear.

mastroego

Arcane
Hm, yeah poison, I could have thought of that.
Though it really seemed like a big bear, I felt kinda powerless and overall it felt like it was best to get the hell out :)

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Has anyone managed to get Skyrim Unleashed working on the special edition? I tried, but the game refused to even load. I can't tell if it's just incompatible or if it's conflicting with the other mods I'm using.

It could be one, the other or both.

mastroego

Arcane
So, I managed to squeeze in a few gaming sessions.
Lost a couple of days (I can get boneheaded sometimes) trying out ENBs... turns out my machine COULD sort of run the less daring ones, but it's still an incredible hassle all around: the initial loading time becomes outrageous, and so on. In the end I only kept the Memory fix thing, and just cranked Skyrim's native settings to the maximum. Together with a few higher res and graphic mods, it looks more than gorgeous enough AND it runs smooth.

So, Requiem.
Honestly, I'm having a blast.
Skyrim's flaws were always blatant but it taps into something so primal that they become secondary. Requiem, for what I've seen so far, deeply adds to this.
Yes, I sort of experienced similar things before with a lot of others mods, but now the feeling is more cohesive.
I like that most things are changed so that they make sense, even before balancing comes into play. Little things like flower bushes and full animal carcasses giving more ingredients than they used to, for instance.

Of course, downing a sabre-cat is a serious business this time around. I managed to take one down by using my most potent poison, and then being reduced to like 1 hp in the fight...
So I'm taking my time, learning alchemy, doing careful scouting and so on: I can't certainly take on real quests right now (I'm still at Level 3).
The atmosphere is changed. I now "feel" the danger of the world, and the idea that somewhere out there there are undead and magical creatures, is, finally again, scary and unthinkable.
How could I ever take on a vampire? (yes, I know Requiem made them a lot stronger... but it makes sense, they're supposed to be mythical creatures).

We'll see how long this feeling will last. For now it's really good.
I already anticipate the problem (that I also read about) with this kind of complete de-leveling of the world: once you ARE powerful, it gets boring. Perhaps, but then again perhaps it just means one can beeline for the end of the storyline "sooner". There was never any need to "complete" the world and every single quest after all.

A few last words. Mods have come a LONG way. I'm using "only" Frostfall, Campfire and Requiem as a gameplay overhaul, but I have several other enhancements, like obviously SkyUI (now even the Smithing and Alchemy UIs have been redone!!) and other SKSE fixes and additions. Amazing stuff.

Miner Arobar

Educated
:necro:

Are there any mods that work with the special edition that removes the scailing? I remember there was one for the original version. But I have no damn idea what it was called or if it would work without a script extender.

Is the "Ordinator - Perks of Skyrim" mod any good or is it just better to wait until the extender is released?

This mod based on morrowloot supposedly removes level scaling:
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/3058/?

I just started a game with it, can't tell if it's any good or not yet.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
SKSE64 is just around the corner and with it a bunch of the best mods for Skyrim will (hopefully) be updated for the SE. You all need to wait a few weeks/months.

mastroego

Arcane
Since I've just reinstalled it I can tell you that I've seen a lot of good mods for which the authors clearly stated that they WON'T update them for the Special Edition, or that they don't know when/if they'll be able to do it.
If you want the widest possible choice, mods-wise, you need to use the old version of the game.

Miner Arobar

Educated
That's absolutely true, but one of the few really must-have mods (Interesting NPCs) already runs on Special Edition, as do most of the smaller ones that don't use BSA files or SKSE. I'm sticking to Special Edition for now because it runs much more smoothly and stably. My regular savegame has been wrecked by repeatedly installing and uninstalling stuff, and I can't venture outside for long without crashes.

mastroego

Arcane
I must rectify my statement, since there are already SE exclusive mods too.
So, to summarize: it's a mess as always.

mastroego

Arcane
Might be, but you can't be sure.
Some modders are gone for good, and I assume the "modders base" is smaller by now. Plus the most popular mods still needed time to debug, create compatibility patches between them and so on. Now, porting them might require less time, but it's still to be seen. If it takes too long you might be looking at TES VI before the situation is normalized enough again.

We can only be sure of the current situation. For instance I'm playing Requiem right now and I couldn't if I had the Special Edition.

Todd_the_Liar

Novice
The community is split due to SE and worse, Assrim brought an avalanche of entitled shitflingers who endlessly berate content creators for their own stupidity. I think most of the good modders have fled.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Sorry, this isn't intended to be an April Fools joke or something like that.

I don't really have any good news. A large amount of the core code (papyrus support, scaleform support, etc) is ready, but the layout of most of the game data classes still needs to be verified as unchanged from the 32-bit version.

I haven't had any time to work on this for the past few months due to work, and I assume the same is true for Stephen. Making time estimates for full-time professional engineering projects is very hard, and this is far from that.

Again, sorry for getting people's hopes up.

Bummer.

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index....-script-extender-skse64/page-36#entry48873882

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom