Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Even with SKSE, wouldn't it be months before essential stuff like SkyUI would get an SE version?

For someone who's only played Skyrim tangentially a couple of times and wouldn't touch it without heavy modding, SE seems like nonsense that really didn't have much of an effect besides pushing back the modding community a year's worth of work or so.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Im not sure of course but i think the front end should be close to the same. The problem they have is all the internal architecture changed so they need to rework/test all the calls. I don't think it should be that hard to update mods to work with it but of course i have never used it.

Ok, so what's the current consensus on Skyrim combat mods? Let's say I am looking for something that's not just more challenging than the vanilla joke of a combat, but also more interesting and realistic in the sword-fighting sense. In other words, I don't want a mod that produces extra challenge by making you use magic or heavier armor or jump around like a retard, but instead, something that emphasizes technique and timing and weapon skill.

I heard Duke Patrick's Heavy Weapons mod is pretty damn good in this way, but I dunno, it doesn't play nice with other stuff like Requiem, so any other suggestions? There are so many combat mods out there, and most of them don't have a good short description on nexus, so it's hard to see what they do exactly without installing and trying them, or reading novel-length readme files.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just install SkyTweak and balance this shit for yourself. Because 99% of rebalancing mods are utter garbage.
Another benefit if you do this are the combat related scripts that you can activate through this mod. The stagger on hit and the timed block scripts for example work wonder in making combat feel less floaty and more realistic.

adrix89

Arbiter
Why are there so many of my country here?
Just install SkyTweak and balance this shit for yourself. Because 99% of rebalancing mods are utter garbage.
Another benefit if you do this are the combat related scripts that you can activate through this mod. The stagger on hit and the timed block scripts for example work wonder in making combat feel less floaty and more realistic.
This.

TK Dodge, SkyTweak, Mortal Enemies. A destupidfy the AI either Combat Evolved or Wildcat. Wildcat has a lot of bullshit but thankfully it is optional, lethality is nice since it stops the stupid sponge health.
And lastly OBIS to add a boatload of bandits that swarm you.

The only problem is that you don't have many attacks that does AoE so its not that good against too many opponents so something like OBIS can wreck you.

Perkel

Arcane
Ok, so what's the current consensus on Skyrim combat mods? Let's say I am looking for something that's not just more challenging than the vanilla joke of a combat, but also more interesting and realistic in the sword-fighting sense. In other words, I don't want a mod that produces extra challenge by ma

There isn't any. Only mod you need for Skyrim is Requiem. It is way harder but it is logical

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
Enai Siaion aka Brother Laz, who also made the Diablo 2 Median XL mod, makes pretty good gameplay mods if you don't like Requiem. He has mods that change all the perk trees, the combat system, a really good magic pack, a mod that makes shouts actually useful, and more. I recommend checking him out.

Please don't just list a bunch of combat mods, that's fairly useless. If you think they are good, please elaborate why, then other people can understand better.

I've heard about SkyTweak. So by enabling Timed Parry, you only parry the attack if you time it right. I believe you can also adjust the time window of the parry for it to work. Since power attacks break through parries, i am guessing TK Dodge is for dodging those. Can you adjust stamina cost of attacks/blocks in SkyTweak? That would be cool to prevent spam.

One really nice thing Duke Patrick's mod does, it allows feints. So both you and the enemy NPCs will pretend to attack in one direction to bait the other guy to block/parry in that direction, and then attack in another, around their defense.

What kind of combat changes does Requiem introduce? From what I understand it just makes certain enemies more difficult by increasing their numbers, but I am more interested in technique/moves.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

What kind of combat changes does Requiem introduce?
notu disu shitto agen

When I used it a few years ago, it did a bunch of stupid crap like putting 30 zombies in one of the starter dungeons, health bloat on enemies, making dragon priests stronger than dragons themselves and a bunch of other spergy crap that our local spergs ate up. "Wew, I am hiding behind rocks from insta-death arrows and zig zaging! such RPG! Such strategy! Git gud n00bs!"

that said, it did make the game more challenging, just in a dumb, annoying, grindy kind of way.

I'd actually be interested in hearing how the author has changed it over the years tho.

Vorark

Erudite
Yeah. Once I found a mod called Vigor which added a poise system like Dark Souls and parrying. Was interesting and all for the first few hours but at the end of the day it was still Skyrim combat.

mastroego

Arcane
Ok, so what's the current consensus on Skyrim combat mods?
I heard Duke Patrick's Heavy Weapons mod is pretty damn good in this way, but I dunno, it doesn't play nice with other stuff like Requiem.
I advise against trying to find your own balance with a bunch of different combat/spells/enemies mods.
I did it for a long time, and all it achieved was to kill my investment in any given character.

It works like this: if, at any given moment, one particular spot appears too hard or too easy, you'll always have the suspicion that you went overboard with modding, or you didn't mod enough.
You'll be constantly tempted to change things mid-game, and when you do ALL your progress will feel meaningless.
SERIOUSLY.
Just use Requiem. I'm a full convert now.
It does everything for you: what's left for you is to succeed in game, or to fail.

Also fully perked enemies will murder you plenty, no need to boost them further.
And if you still feel they are "easy" for you, it just means you can aim for the end-game content a little sooner (who says you have to "deplete" all the world and its quests every time?).

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
What kind of combat changes does Requiem introduce? From what I understand it just makes certain enemies more difficult by increasing their numbers, but I am more interested in technique/moves.

Requiem is total over-haul... So no there isn't any animation changes outside of switching off those glory kills i think.

SkyRe is just nice coat of paint on a turd. SkyRe is just vanilla+

It mostly changes balance of whole game. Descales enemies and puts them into classes. So bandits will always be bandits regardless if you are lvl 10 or 100. Bandits are not low level problem which you can take from start. mid level are zombies and various creatures, high level are vampires and other high level looking creatures. That being said now you can actually kill every one of them ANYTIME. Because loot is not scaled anymore and with enough willpower sooner or later you will get enough equipment to be force to be recon with.

So if you set yourself a target with enough preparation you will be able to deal with it as long as you have idea how to beat it. If you want something from lair of bandits in which everyone has fucking plate armor then you:

- know that those wearing plate armor which is costly aren't noobs. Thus if you don't know how to fight they will make swiis cheese out of you
- instead of taking them head on... maybe try to actually play stealth and leave lair not killing anyone ?
- use traps against those people ?
- use wild animals ?
- endurance war ?

Since loot is unscalled then reward for beating ultra hard places could be actually amazing loot that instantly could put you far above your current power.

Biggest change is in armor. Heavy armor is actual heavy armor. Dudes in heavy armor are really hard to kill and you need to watch out what you are using. Hammers against plate. Swords against light armor etc.

Main quest is no longer something that you can do from start as Requiem doesn't care if you are "ready". So unlike vanilla you need to scout first dungeons to find if they have bandits or vampires. If there are vampires then you just skip it or leave it for later if you are something like lvl10.

At start you are shit at everything and rise to power really feels good in it and by lvl 30-40 you really feel like you achieved something and you are force that can fight with vampires and shit which could kill you in instant when you started game.

If you are pussy then there is liuterally option and you can scale damage done to you or enemies as you want and you can even set to vanilla like numbers. This still will give you all reworked skills, equipment, spells, uniques and so many other changes.

So if you go to dungeon now and you see skeletons you can just drop your bow and get the fuck away because unlike vanilla you won't do shit with arrows against skeletons. But have a hammer and you will roll through them. Zombies ? Silver and fire. Silver axe enchanted with fire is best here.
Poison on spiders ? You wish.

This basically goes for every enemy in requiem.

Heavy armor now is not something you can do from start. You need first invest into stamina and skills and then you are rewarded with ability to wear heavy armor and still be able to swing a stick. Which means that heavy armor specialization is WAAY more expensive than it used to in vanilla but at the same time heavy armor is waaaay better than in vanilla.

Biggest reason why anyone should look into Reqiem is descaled world. That alone fixes one of the biggest problem with Skyrim combat. In vanilla killing a troll for the first time is nothing. If you kill Troll in Reqiem then you feel like champ because Troll strenght (aside from variations) is more or less stable and you can see threshold required to beat it.

notu disu shitto agen

When I used it a few years ago, it did a bunch of stupid crap like putting 30 zombies in one of the starter dungeons, health bloat on enemies, making dragon priests stronger than dragons themselves and a bunch of other spergy crap that our local spergs ate up. "Wew, I am hiding behind rocks from insta-death arrows and zig zaging! such RPG! Such strategy! Git gud n00bs!"

that said, it did make the game more challenging, just in a dumb, annoying, grindy kind of way.

I'd actually be interested in hearing how the author has changed it over the years tho.

Mod doesn't change number of zombies in dungeon you idiot.

Last edited:

Last edited by a moderator:

mastroego

Arcane
It has to be said Requiem also rebalances various things in favor of the player.
For instance, most Shouts get stronger (and are always useful in a de-leveled world, whereas they used to become quickly meaningless in vanilla).
Some artifacts become a lot stronger too (for instance, the White Phial).

In other words, you tend to get substantial rewards when you manage to take down strong enemies and survive the first brutal levels.
The world always remains lethal for the player (I'm level 37 right now and if I'm not careful even a BEAR can still kill me, with that knock-down attack and all), BUT you can craft and/of find the tools to be lethal in response, as well.
It feels a lot more real than Skyrim ever did (and I mean vanilla or any other mod combination I've tried so far).

It feels a lot more real than Skyrim ever did (and I mean vanilla or any other mod combination I've tried so far).
Yeah, it had the right direction when I tried it. Made magic crazy expensive instead of the cheap novelty it was in vanilla (why isn't everyone a mage when magic costs 5 gold to learn???).

But the sperg was too strong with it, sadly. Insta-death arrows etc are just dumb.

Perkel

Arcane
Mod doesn't change number of zombies in dungeon you idiot.
It did when I played it, spergo.

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615805-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/65650004
Bleak Falls Barrow is extremely hard with Requiem, especially at the last room where there's ~20 draugr.

I said the version I tried was a few years ago, so I don't have any idea what it does now.

In the future, try not to be a nigger. 'k, thx. :M

In this case you are right. Main quest got really huge spike since start to fend of people from starting it early and being stuck later. But it is still doable at about 10-15 level when you get silver weapons or even earlier if you are mage. But overall Reqiem doesn't touch usually enemies in dungeons.

mastroego

Arcane
Yeah, it had the right direction when I tried it. Made magic crazy expensive instead of the cheap novelty it was in vanilla (why isn't everyone a mage when magic costs 5 gold to learn???).

But the sperg was too strong with it, sadly. Insta-death arrows etc are just dumb.
An arrow through the chest, or the eye, would, in fact, insta-kill you. An unblocked power attack would also insta-kill you, most probably.
Weapons are dangerous, they are lethal: it's their job. Too many games forget that.

That's why you wouldn't storm a bandit camp at low level... if you really, REALLY have to take them down, you'd get smart, use sneak, poisons (even Frenzy poison, to make those bandits kill themselves and so on), or some degree of strategy anyway.
Also you can use Heavy Armor, or dodge. You definitely learn to give priority to archers: when you have the shout, for instance, you can use Whirlwind to get close and broke their bows.

Requiem forces you to use stuff you barely noticed were present in Skyrim, and to do it smartly.

An arrow through the chest, or the eye, would, in fact, insta-kill you.
fug, not this again.

Eye, sure. Are all shots through the eye tho?

Am I going to have to link half a dozen "freaking child injured by arrow in back/chest, arrow puled out and kid is fine" stories again?

No, it is not an insta-kill irl esp with armor. I get that more difficulty = better to a degree, but this was stupid aspergers shit. I can whack a guy with a sword a half dozen times, but arrows are teh deadly. :roll:

srlys, I've done this aspie argument before and since you're a requiem player, I know nothing I say is going to sway you from your "super kewl, totes realistic cuz I get instagibbed by fleas in the early game" mod, so meh.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

An arrow through the chest, or the eye, would, in fact, insta-kill you. An unblocked power attack would also insta-kill you, most probably.
Weapons are dangerous, they are lethal: it's their job. Too many games forget that.

That's why you wouldn't storm a bandit camp at low level... if you really, REALLY have to take them down, you'd get smart, use sneak, poisons (even Frenzy poison, to make those bandits kill themselves and so on), or some degree of strategy anyway.
Also you can use Heavy Armor, or dodge. You definitely learn to give priority to archers: when you have the shout, for instance, you can use Whirlwind to get close and broke their bows.

Requiem forces you to use stuff you barely noticed were present in Skyrim, and to do it smartly.
This is what requiemtards actually believe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom