Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

roll-a-die

Magister
What are the odds on Bethesda deciding the voiced protagonist and settlement features were simply not fleshed out enough and deciding to double down in new horrific and horribly flawed ways rather than returning to their roots?
High, they decided that Radiant Quests and NPC's, and voice acted NPC's were simply not fleshed out or varied enough. All they did was make it harder to spot those quests in Skyrim, kept the shitty moving NPC's, and added about 4 more voice actors to add variety. They decided that perks were better than proper skills and attributes, after being accused of dumbing down Skyrim. They then doubled down on that with FO4 and we have no skills or attributes, just perks.

This is literally Bethesda's process. Each game gets better presentation, but worse depth. Wider pool but with the same amount of water.

laclongquan

Arcane
I wouldnt bet on Bethesda giving other studios chance to mess in their IP. If nothing else, Fallout New Vegas showcase the glaring juvenile quality of their writing department. And like it or not, I view that very quality of their writings is a part and parcel of their strategic position in gaming. If you want to make games for the lowest common denominator, aka broadest gamer audience, you absolutely can not make quality writings (or it would have scared off most of those audience).

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Bad spelling
EISEwDr.jpg

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Oh yeah, Chesko AKA Frostfall Guy recently released the Early Access version of his new survival mod, Last Seed. Special Edition version not available yet. Can be added go an existing save but shit is probably going to break so don't use it on saves you care about. There is already some basic interaction with Frostfall.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/84115/

Last edited:

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Isn't he one of the more prolific modders that whored out his mod until the community started screaming at him and Fore told him he couldn't use his mod to sell his shit, which it absolutely required cause almost every mod with animations is reliant on Fores New Idles?

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Oh yeah, Chesko AKA Frostfall Guy recently released the Early Access version of his new survival mod, Last Seed. Special Edition version not available yet. Can be added go an existing save but shit is probably going to break so don't use it on saves you care about. There is already some basic interaction with Frostfall.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/84115/
That RND mod is probably the best, but it's a heavy mod. I didn't like iNeed even though it's lighter.

Skyrim is unmoddable. I tried playing it last weekend, and you people are delusional. This game cannot be saved.

For all the fan-fare it receives, Requiem is essentially a de-leveling mod, sorta like Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul mod for Oblivion. While that's nice and all, de-leveling the world does nothing to address the multitude of Skyrim's flaws.

Obviously mods can't fix crappy writing, or animations, but I was hoping I could at least fix combat, like I did in Fallout 3 and New Vegas. This too proved impossible. I tried or read about pretty much every mod out there. Duel, Wildcat, Combat evolved, ultimate combat, duke patrick's heavy weapons, etc, etc. Requiem also has some in-built combat enhancements.

All of these mods pretty much try to introduce incentives to do timed blocking (instead of just holding block up), and to introduce stamina costs to combat actions, to prevent the default vanilla button mashing. The problem is it all miserably fails. Stamina costs fail because you can just increase stamina as you level up, and there are other ways to use up less of it, so in the end, it becomes irrelevant. Timed blocking fails because the game does not support it at all. The default enemy attack animations and damage application happens so fast for 1-handed weapons (especially smaller ones like daggers), that it is impossible to parry in time just by watching the enemy. As soon as you see them start the attack, they've already hit you. One guy made a mode to slow down the animations, and it works for 1h axes and swords to some degree, but not for other weapons.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Skyrim is unmoddable. I tried playing it last weekend, and you people are delusional. This game cannot be saved.

For all the fan-fare it receives, Requiem is essentially a de-leveling mod, sorta like Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul mod for Oblivion. While that's nice and all, de-leveling the world does nothing to address the multitude of Skyrim's flaws.

Obviously mods can't fix crappy writing, or animations, but I was hoping I could at least fix combat, like I did in Fallout 3 and New Vegas. This too proved impossible. I tried or read about pretty much every mod out there. Duel, Wildcat, Combat evolved, ultimate combat, duke patrick's heavy weapons, etc, etc. Requiem also has some in-built combat enhancements.

All of these mods pretty much try to introduce incentives to do timed blocking (instead of just holding block up), and to introduce stamina costs to combat actions, to prevent the default vanilla button mashing. The problem is it all miserably fails. Stamina costs fail because you can just increase stamina as you level up, and there are other ways to use up less of it, so in the end, it becomes irrelevant. Timed blocking fails because the game does not support it at all. The default enemy attack animations and damage application happens so fast for 1-handed weapons (especially smaller ones like daggers), that it is impossible to parry in time just by watching the enemy. As soon as you see them start the attack, they've already hit you. One guy made a mode to slow down the animations, and it works for 1h axes and swords to some degree, but not for other weapons.
http://www.loverslab.com the way it's meant to be played.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom