Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

primalsplit

Literate
Midas is horribly unbalanced,Apocalypse is borderline OP,but can still work with the requiem patch.
Both arent really needed as Requiem has very good spells on its own.
If you are playing with apocalypse avoid Ocatos razor that one just changes the way game plays.
Do you mean Ocato's Recital? The spell that stores up to 3 spells and insta-casts it for 0 magicka upon entering combat? I can certainly see why. The idea behind saving you the tedious job of casting same spells on all encounters is really appealing. However If it was up to me, I'd make it drain all of your magicka for the duration of the spells or something.

mastroego

Arcane
Looks classy. One Question though, any particular reason you didn't install magic mods like Midas, Apocalypse?

Mostly what Bratislav said.
But to expand on that:
  • I wanted to try out Requiem the way it's been balanced and without tampering it, to avoid falling again in that weird mood that feels like "I kept changing things on the run all the time and now I don't know if my character's journey means anything anymore". I kept the course this time.
  • I wanted to keep mods to a minimum if possible, and admittedly I didn't plan on a magic user for this run. So basically, no need for new spells.
  • I probably wouldn't add them anyway, now that I did try Requiem. The mod touches and gives its own balance to every area of the game, I'm sure the spells are just as fine as everything else.
  • I suspect that too many spells, or too "flashy" ones, wouldn't fit terribly well with the Skyrim/Requiem mood.
  • As I said, I mostly didn't touch the gameplay aspect of Requiem, unless you count Frostfall and INeed. The only "powergaming" concession has been the inclusion of (Requiem-patched) Morrowloot. To equip something you need to give up something else, after all, and Requiem artifacts are quite powerful already. In fact, I still have only those equipped ATM, and nothing from Morrowloot. But it's nice to have a few additional artifacts to hunt down.
More or less this has been my reasoning :)

Emily

Arcane
Midas is horribly unbalanced,Apocalypse is borderline OP,but can still work with the requiem patch.
Both arent really needed as Requiem has very good spells on its own.
If you are playing with apocalypse avoid Ocatos razor that one just changes the way game plays.
Do you mean Ocato's Recital? The spell that stores up to 3 spells and insta-casts it for 0 magicka upon entering combat? I can certainly see why. The idea behind saving you the tedious job of casting same spells on all encounters is really appealing. However If it was up to me, I'd make it drain all of your magicka for the duration of the spells or something.
Yeah sorry I meant recital.
I used it on my ironman mage and not only did it trivialize any random encounter and ambush it also leveled up my alteration with minimal effort.

There were some other semi OP spells as well,so I kept asking myself whether I should use them or not,definitely immersion breaking.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
However, with a pure mage build, it is very useful. Ambushes can still be deadly if melee damage is sufficiently high and raising Alteration is otherwise a pain in the butt.

Delterius

Arcane
Who needs to improve Skyrim!?!
florida-man-tries-to-give-himself-brain-damage-to-start-29758972.png
Can you imagine.

Re-embarking on the fruitless voyage of trying to and failing to improve Skyrim.

Speaking of which, is there a Requiem Enderal yet?

Vorark

Erudite
Lol @ the Requiem modder drama going on.

Hi guys and gals,

As many of you probably already saw on reddit, Requiem's situation changed quite radically today.

Axonis decided to leave our team, and retroactively changed the usage permissions of Minor Arcana when doing so. His new permissions, which he also wants to apply to Requiem 2.0, are incompatible with Requiem's current permissions. Since considerable parts of Minor Arcana were already merged into the Requiem dev-version long ago, the 2.0 version cannot be released at this time. The expected release date we mentioned at reddit yesterday is no longer valid. Sorry to disappoint you all.

Since we have been taken by surprise by this just like you, we will now take our time and evaluate our options for the future. (We got informed about 10 minutes before the reddit announcement.) We will let you know when we have decided the future course of Requiem and when there's a new release date for Requiem 2.0.

Once we manage to get Requiem 2.0 out, we will evaluate our future options and decide if moving to the Special Edition now makes more sense or if we need to stay on Oldrim for the time being. Our move to 2.0 will come first, regardless.

The (remaining) Requiem Dungeon Masters

- Edit: I'm having a good laugh reading the reddit thread. That vram dude is top tier drama queen:

vQRCsai.png

:lol:

Last edited:

Emily

Arcane
Fuck that is some really bad news I was looking forward to 2.0.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm pretty sure you can't retroactively change permission/licensing on older releases, if you change your mind later on.

Vorark

Erudite
Whelp, after the drama was over...

https://requiem.atlassian.net/wiki/...3/Requiem+2.0.0+-+The+Phantom+Agony+unleashed

Requiem 2.0.0 - "The Phantom Agony" unleashed!

Hi guys and gals,

After the events of last week we have been working tirelessly to get Requiem 2.0.0 - "The Phantom Agony" released as soon as possible and here we are. The long awaited update is finally available!
As announced in previous blog posts, this version is published as a release candidate at first. It's a fully functional and feature-complete version, but you have to explicitly request it from Nexus in the files tab. If you just use the download buttons in the top toolbar, you'll get 1.9.4 instead. In a few weeks, Requiem 2.0.0 will become the new standard version at Nexus. In the meantime other mod authors can update their content to work with 2.0 and interested players can immediately start new adventures. Remember that a new game is strictly required for Requiem 2.0.0!

We are looking forward to your feedback on this new version.
smile.png
Balancing suggestions should be posted at Nexus or reddit and if you happen to find an actual bug, please report it at our Service Desk.

As a reminder, starting with this version, we are using semantic versioning, each Requiem version will be labeled with an X.Y.Z version stamp.
  • increments in X are major updates with breaking changes which strictly require a new game
  • increments in Y are content updates which can be applied mid-game
  • increments in Z are bugfix releases which can be applied mid-game
The most important changes of Requiem 2.0

Awesome Archery: The Marksman perk tree has been rearranged and archery bugs have been fixed. The Ranger perk (previously Fast Movement) only works with light bows and crossbows... but it only takes a little skill to acquire, and sneaking no longer breaks it. Heavy bow and crossbow users will find their weapons less draining. Even novices can send arrows winging their way over a distance, unless you're trying to be sneaky. Different parts of armor provide different arrow protection, with a simple keyword-based approach that modders can easily follow. Boots and gauntlets will no longer protect your innards! Perks can help you to overcome such arrow protection and skilled marksman might even find some weakspots in the armor plating of automatons. And silver arrows, advanced bolts and explosive bolts have all been given a make-over and are now distinct and beautiful.

Ferocious Fighting: Evasion perks grant a reduction to physical damage and an increase in evasion xp gain... but only if you wear no heavy armor. Bashing perks work with both shields and weapon bashes. Fortify armor still further with enchantments. But it's not all in your favour: effects which were formerly the exclusive privilege of players are now distributed to NPCs, who can use daedric weapons, warhammers and maces to pierce armor just as you do, and some bosses are even more dangerous... even when newly risen from their sarcophagi.

Luscious Lockpicking: With a more gradual difficulty curve, various chests are no longer out of your reach until you suddenly find inspiration. While some chests may still defy your talents, others will require true dexterity, and several lockpicks. Friends and hirelings are restricted by their own skills... and their morals. Lockpicking bonuses from different sources such as potions and enchantments can be combined and some unique items and effects will also help you to coax open more challenging locks. Mages no longer have to deal with quicksilver ore if they want to use arcane arts to unlock a lock, but the new "Knock" spells have their own twists...

Hearthfire Happiness: Hearthfire is now fully integrated. The three Hearthfire houses are available at low levels... though you still have to do some favours for the Jarls first. They'll grant you enough material to build a bed for the night, after which you might have to do some searching; stone and clay of suitable quality can be hard to find! And building the houses will actually take time...

Sumptuous Snacks: The cuisine of Skyrim has been refined for the most discerning palate. Stews remain stupendous, alcohol amazing, Hearthfire's ovens are outstanding and getting drunk is just delightful. Strong Nords won't be double-counting dragons after only a single ale, and a gulp of good booze might give you a useful edge. But beware; too much alcohol might have unexpected interactions with your breakfast stew!

Lighter Looting: Gold can weigh down the body as well as the soul. Gems and jewellery are more commonly found and often more valuable, and more merchants are willing to buy them for a fair price. Armor is easier to carry when you wear it, and arrows weigh much less than they did.

Banished Bugs: From horses that sound like catapults to mountain flower trickery, from misbehaving rune spells to overpowered vegetables, a multitude of bugs and unbalancing tweaks including those reported have been fixed.

Gripping Games: The language and wording of Requiem-specific messages and descriptions has been reworked for easier, more immersive reading, from the Reqtificator to initialization, to picking your character and playing the game. Mage difficulty tags are reverted to vanilla for consistency, summon spell names have also been made consistent and more immersive, and vampires will no longer drop dead immediately just for touching shiny things. With a meaner, leaner MCM, updated descriptions that you can actually read, and several other requested changes included, Requiem games will be smoother and more believable than ever before.

A Curious Quest: While adventuring you find a strange piece of paper. It looks like a fragment of something eerily familiar, but where are the other pieces? Help the Bard's College reassemble the lost work... and find out what really happened on Hogithum.

Legendarily Lazy: We no longer support USKP, and as such require all DLCs. Note that Dragonborn is disabled; the quest will not run and no radiant quests will send you to Solstheim without a suitable patch.

The full changelog can be found here.

The future of Requiem

Some of the major roadblocks towards a port to the Skyrim Special Edition have been resolved. As our next priority, we'll take a closer look at this topic ourselves and see if Requiem can be ported reasonably to the Special Edition. In parallel, we will also continue working on the 2.x series and publish further updates with content that didn't fit into 2.0.
smile.png

-- The Requiem Dungeon Masters

KateMicucci

Arcane
I was hoping that Requiem would let me do a simple replay of the game without needing to install a million mods first, but damn, requiring all the DLCs...

DraQ

Arcane
I was hoping that Requiem would let me do a simple replay of the game without needing to install a million mods first, but damn, requiring all the DLCs...
Get the previous version?

Even with all the DLCs I would advise against the newest one until Dragonborn patch because Dragonborn may actually be the most interesting part of Bethesda's content for Skyrim.

roll-a-die

Magister
I still feel like Requiem's design is sometimes at odds with Skyrims, and that it'd be so much better as it's own game without the cohabitation with Skyrim subpar design and implementation of features.*

But I've been playing Requiem with Minor Arcana, AZ Tweaks, and Fozars DB, and literally nothing else other than the requirements for those(All the DLC, SkyUI, and as far as SKSE mods, Crash Fixes and Bug Fixes). And I'm having a good amount of fun.

some criticism in the spoilers

*I feel like the cheesy way I have to play at times while doing a even core monotype build, like Pure Archer, is kinda ridiculous. Archery itself seems to be utterly neglected and weak at almost all levels with the set up that I'm running. But that's something AZ Tweaks mentions outright. However, I cleared bleakfalls barrow with a massive amount of cheese and about 200 silver arrows and a luckily found orcish bow. Going from level 5 and 25 Marksmanship to about 43 marksman and level 8 at the end.

The secret to winning is running away, so much running away. Do not skip cardio. That last room was tedious as fuck and is one of the places where I'd say Skyrims poor AI design is massively impacting Requiems core gameplay, in that I could peel 2 draugr off and then run back to the previous room with them and jump off the bridge shooting them as they came across. Rest, and And repeat for forever until the room was empty.

Few other genuine criticisms. Traps being used to kill enemies is almost negatively rewarded, in that you lose out on XP, this is a problem that Skyrim has, but is exacerbated by the fact that clearing some dungeons relies on careful use of traps at least as early on as I am. Yes you get the reward of not having to fight the enemy and getting the loot from their corpse. But I almost feel it should benefit some skill or another, maybe stealth. Probably impossible to track though. It just feels wrong to not get a skill up for smart environment work. And having been playing old skool games recently they did also reward you for using the environment in this way.

I feel like quest rewards are a little lackluster early on. But that's probably just the caliber of work you do. But to give an example BFB's golden claw quest rewards 500g, that was literally less than 30% of what I made in coin just running through the barrow and killing things. Not even accounting for the 2000 or so I made off the equipment and gems I hauled out of there. Entered the barrow with 400g having spent about 4000 gold on 200 silver arrows to do the quest. Got done with it and was sitting at 4000 and then went and sold the loot and got up to 6400 gold, including the quest reward... That works out to about 7.8125% of my total reward being from the quest giver. Personally I don't mind this, but it's like, "I just cleared out literally 40 undead from a tomb site. Including one that could use Thu'um. And you give me a fiver." Basically, I feel like the quest should pay for at least half the ammo I spent on it. As it is, it paid for less silver arrows than there were Draugr in the last room. I mean I still made 2k profit off the mission. But overall it feels like I got paid mexican farm worker rates.

Heavy armor is literally the most annoying thing in the world to me right now, and I can't wait to hit 60 Marksman to get the next level of the perk that lets me hit people with armor harder. I'm also noticing that NPC perks might be a touch stronger than mine, in that I have quick draw, which should reduce my draw speed a lot. But the NPC's with cross bows, heavy metal crossbows(In this case Iron), are able to out draw me, and fire their bolts right as I'm getting my arrow into the set position, but before full damage is ready to be applied. It's like a 3 frame difference but it's enough that I feel gimped in comparison, because their crossbows also hit my lightly armored ass HARD. Meanwhile they sit their nearly invulnerable, as I plug my arrows into their iron armored front.

Some quests are fucking bullshit and an example of, "Just reload stupid." Vigilant outside the doors of a house in Markarth, offer to help him, go inside, head to the basement looting the house, as I do so as it's not technically stealing turn around to leave, locked inside, forced to fight this ideotically strong, Thu'um using Vigilant. Get cucked over and over, eventually I activated god mode and checked how many arrows it'd take to actually y'know kill him. 47 dwarven arrows fired from an orcish bow while chugging cheated in stamina potions so that my damage isn't impacted by his LITERALLY INFINITE STAMINA constantly light attacking me. While he can oneshot me after ragdolling me roughly every 26 seconds.

Bought a Whiterun Horse to be my loot whore. Anyone know if there a way to have it follow the fast travel wagon, or if I've got to ride the sonovabitch everywhere now? Because the last time I left it anywhere near dangerous it got herded into giants and mammoths by a wolf and then got spacejammed.

Drax

Arcane
Bought a Whiterun Horse to be my loot whore. Anyone know if there a way to have it follow the fast travel wagon, or if I've got to ride the sonovabitch everywhere now? Because the last time I left it anywhere near dangerous it got herded into giants and mammoths by a wolf and then got spacejammed.
Convenient Horses

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Lol I went in bleakfall with DB armor plus ebony dagger n just danced over n over...pickpocket around 20 heal stamina potions off city guards as prep. The last boss draugr took ten stolen firebolt scrolls to kill.

roll-a-die

Magister
Welp looks like I'll be adding convenient horses I guess. Was trying to avoid any other mods that weren't requiem related. As in the past that's fucked me over.

Codex Year of the Donut
Welp looks like I'll be adding convenient horses I guess. Was trying to avoid any other mods that weren't requiem related. As in the past that's fucked me over.
since you're adding mods you might as well grab a big titty one while you're at it

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom