Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
What's the big deal with Frostfall? Everyone is going on as if it's unofficial expansion no2, but I looked at the Nexus page and it sounds a little gimmicky to me. I suspect it will quickly become more frustrating than fun.

It's more than a book-keeping exercise, yet not annoying enough to be constantly in your way. Pretty well designed.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Okay, guise, especially nerds like my bros DraQ and Clockwork Knight... I've got this fuck-hueg list I'd like you to take a look at. Is this install cool and do you have suggestions for stuff that needs to be removed/added? Also, please note if I should change anything in the install order (not in the load order, will use BOSS for that).

1) Unofficial Patches (Skyrim, Dawnguard, Hearthfire, Dragonborn, Hi-Res)
2) Requiem and Requiem 1.7.3 Patch
3) Requiem Resources
4) SkyUI
5) 83Willows Bugs
6) Alternate Blade of Woe
7) Ambient Seagulls
8) Animated Enchantments Overhaul
9) Apocalypse Spell Pack
10) Apocalypse Requiem Compatability Patch
11) ASIS
12) Better Fast Travel
13) Birds of Skyrim
14) Bring Out Your Dead
15) Cerwinden
16) ClamsDropPearls
17) Cloaks of Skyrim
18) Destructible Bottles Extended
19) Drinking Fountains of Skyrim
20) ESP Skyrim Presets
21) Even Better Quest Objectives
22) Expanded Towns and Cities
23) Filled Pots
24) Frostfall
25) Glowing Ore Veins
26) Heart of the Beast Sounds
27) Heart of the Beast Meshes
28) Hoth
29) Icebreakers Improved Reverb
30) Improved Horse Step Sounds
31) Immersive Armors
32) Immersive HUD
33) Immersive Patrols
34) Immersive Weapons
35) Improved Combat Sounds
36) Improved Fire Salts
37) Improved Frost Salts
38) Improved Glow Dust
39) Inconsequential NPCs
40) Ingredient Reweight
41) Inigo
42) Insanitys Dragonbane
43) Insanitys Red Eagle Bane
44) Lore-Based Loading Screens
45) More plants and recipes
46) Morrowloot 4E Edition
47) Morrowloot 4E Lore Weapon Expansion Patch
48) No More Mine Pests
49) Point the Way
50) Project Reality - Climates of Tamriel
51) Proper Length Arrows
52) Realistic Needs and Diseases
53) Wyrmstooth
54) Roadsigns Redone
55) Roosters at Dawn
56) Run For Your Lives
57) Skyrim Coin Replacer Redux
58) Immersive Creatures
59) Skaal Kid Coat
60) Solsteihm Extended - Skaal Village
61) Solsteihm Extended - Tel Mithryn
62) Static Mesh Improvement Mod
63) The Pines of Whiterun
64) The Paarthunax Dilemma
65) Truly Harvest Antlers
66) Unique Shapes for Unique Weapons
67) W.A.T.E.R
68) Wet and Cold
69) Wet and Cold - Ashes
70) When Vampires Attack
71) Requiem - Dragonborn Remade
72) Requiem - Hearthfires
73) Requiem - Immersive Armor Patch
74) Requiem - Immersive Creatures Patch
75) Requiem - Immersive Patrols Patch
76) Requiem - Immersive Weapons Patch
77) Requiem - Realistic Animals Patch
78) Requiem - Wyrmstooth Patch
79) SkyTweak
80) Brawl Bugs Patch
81) Better Stealth AI for Followers
82) Customizable Camera
83) Dance of Death
84) Disable Auto-Aim
85) Quiet and Silent Dead Thrall Groans and Moans
86) Categorized Favorites Menu
87) Convenient Horses
88) Arissa
89) Wryebash dat shit

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I bought this on Steam sale for £2.50 the other day and I seriously do not know why

not going to use Requiem because it sounds awful

Use SkyRe instead. I used that on my first playthrough of this. It's a light and customizable revamp that just fixes all the obviously dumb shit in Skyrim's core. Don't play Vanilla. I would rather remove my own eyes from their sockets.

What about Requiem sounds awful to you? Reading the manual it doesn't sound half as bad to me as its reputation makes it sound.

Maybe I'm wrong and I'm going to have to kill Clockwork Knight.

87 mods what the christ

Skyrim is that bad. There's a base of something decent there, but in my opinion to make it worthy of the kind of time it demands, you have to mod that shit to hell and back.

Or you could just install one of the big overhauls and call it a day. It's not like you NEED seagulls or more varied kid clothing.

Requiem is gud unless you're the sort of YOLO player who thinks that having to change your approach depending on the enemy "interferes with your roleplaying".

My experience with requiem: I made an Altmer mage. Took 1 skill point in destruction, 2 in block. Starting in Helgen. Light armor + ice-something spell.
Ok, lets kill those 2 stormcloaks standing in our way. Ok, I'm dead. Quickload.
10 attempt later I decided to uninstall the mod. I understand what requiem is supposed to be, but tweaking the difficulty so high I can't go through the tutorial indeed brings to mind old rpgs, just the bad parts of them. Gunna try Skyrim Re

why cant my level 1 naked mage defeat the ice-resistant warriors with the starting ice spell :( :( :(

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Or you could just install one of the big overhauls and call it a day. It's not like you NEED seagulls or more varied kid clothing.

That small shit? What does that matter. Installing with NMM is just double-clicking, there's no reason not to take that stuff. It's not like Seagulls will be what inevitably causes the game to break.

They do. But the children are an order even more ancient than the Greybeards, sworn not to abuse their immense power, not even to stop the dragon threat. So they will never face you in honorable duel, and bestow upon you their most sacred robes.

But then, the kids would be naked. What then?

1OQJF.jpg

...oh

whatevername

Arcane

Requiem is gud unless you're the sort of YOLO player who thinks that having to change your approach depending on the enemy "interferes with your roleplaying".

Show Spoiler Hide Spoiler

My experience with requiem: I made an Altmer mage. Took 1 skill point in destruction, 2 in block. Starting in Helgen. Light armor + ice-something spell.
10 attempt later I decided to uninstall the mod. I understand what requiem is supposed to be, but tweaking the difficulty so high I can't go through the tutorial indeed brings to mind old rpgs, just the bad parts of them. Gunna try Skyrim Re

why cant my level 1 naked mage defeat the ice-resistant warriors with the starting ice spell :( :( :(
That is COMPLETE BULLSHIT. I just made a high elf with requiem on legendary difficulty ,put 1 point into destruction and got icewind, got 2 points available. Killed every stormcloak with icewind. Thanks for getting my hopes up and making me waste 20 fucking minutes on the stupid Helgen intro.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014

Show Spoiler Hide Spoiler

That is COMPLETE BULLSHIT. I just made a high elf with requiem on legendary difficulty ,put 1 point into destruction and got icewind, got 2 points available. Killed every stormcloak with icewind. Thanks for getting my hopes up and making me waste 20 fucking minutes on the stupid Helgen intro.
you're just too good for video games

seems legit :M

in case you were autistic enough to actually do that, you'd be doing a fraction of regular damage. While it's possible to win through sheer determination, it would be a massive pain in the ass and I'm not sure what you were expecting to prove with your experiment

Also, the vanilla difficulty levels don't affect Requiem's difficulty, as stated in bold letters in the manual

dumbfuck

Last edited:

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Anyone tried this one?
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/50995/?

Seems like it would be interesting.
Very interesting indeed. Only thing still missing is a decent story hook to make me give a shit about that high tier loot.
Personally I don't like Requiem that much to be honest, archers are beyond op, perk descriptions are vague or cryptic, stamina management is annoying and the whole "I want more immershun!!!" approach sucks ass (I hate hate hate frostfall and other larp faggotry shit :argh:) anyway.
But if you really want to play Requiem, Crispy:
In maybe 1 or 2 months from now Requiem 1.8 will be released, then players will have to wait some more weeks for it to be patched up a bit. Would make more sense to try it then, because according to some of the things ogerboss wrote in the announcements to version 1.8 there are quite a lot of things broken with enemy perks and other stuff in 1.7.3.
Played a little bit of vanilla recently and I found it much more enjoyable in the early stages than Requiem... dumb popamole but at least that way it doesn't drag out all the soullless TES lore and half-baked game story to infinity.
Requiem is just too much of a grind for its own good. This gameworld isn't crafted carefully enough and with enough love to make it interesting so you are happy with just leveling up your char in it. It's not as bad as Oblivion but still quite generic. And besides quest advances there are simply no reasons to become better in anything. Why should I go out into the wilderness and explore ruins? Maybe some are higher level but are they worth the wait and level grind? Most def. not.
TES games are shit, sandboxes without story triggers that change the whole gameworld and make it more dangerous (like the Gothics with their chapters) are shit, this whole approach is shit.

Last edited:

hell bovine

Arcane
I don't think Requiem requires grinding, more likely people are doing it, because they are used to it - it's high level or nothing nowadays. The problem is that in the end even Requiem can't keep up with the game, and the dificulty just falls flat. I would say middle game was definitely the most fun, but that might be a general Skyrim problem; it would benefit in general on imposing a lower level limit, for both player and non-player characters, in my opinion. Instead the dragonborn does his best to become the fantasy equivalent of Martha Stewart.

Anyhow, I'm giving the ACE & ASIS & Apocalypse spells (those enemy mages better be using those spells) & DCO a try instead, since the Requiem Dragonborn mod is rumored to be buggy. Anyone tried YASH_OpenEncounterZones.esp and YASH_UnleveledEnemies.esp ? How are the immersive creatures in terms of difficulty?

There are a few areas meant for higher levels in requiem - Soul Cairn and Labyrinthian being the more infamous. It still gets easier later on but that's the price you pay for a non level scaled open world. I'm just gonna use High Level Enemies once I'm 2 stronk and "believability" starts getting on the way of challenge. Hopefully that will still take a while.

Grinding in TES is pointless because trainers.

Vague descriptions are indeed annoyingly "immersive" at times, but at least it is less soulcrushingly banal than "this perk gives you +20% damage".

Archers ruining your fun? Git gud, son. :smug:

but yes, if you don't like the TES model to begin with, not even the everlasting light of Requiem's glory can help you.

[...]since the Requiem Dragonborn mod is rumored to be buggy.

It was remade recently. The author is more experient now.

(it wasn't entirely his fault since the Miraak battle has a ton of scripts running in a precise order to work and Skyrim tend to shit itself when that happens, especially if you are running other mods on top of that. The carriage at the beggining of the game also bugs often because of this)

How are the immersive creatures in terms of difficulty?

Any way you want. It has a pretty extensive in-game menu that lets you choose which enemies can spawn, if they get extra stats and attacks, how frequently they appear, and even a unique difficulty slider just for them.

They also look pretty.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom