Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

hell bovine

Arcane
How are the immersive creatures in terms of difficulty?

Any way you want. It has a pretty extensive in-game menu that lets you choose which enemies can spawn, if they get extra stats and attacks, how frequently they appear, and even a unique difficulty slider just for them.

They also look pretty.
Will give it a try, then. I'm a) lazy and b) I like surprises, so I don't want to know what type of creatures will appear and what abilities they will have, so hopefully the tweaking is not necessary to get it to work, though.

The one thing that turned me off from Requiem - Dragonborn is that (apparently) you have to kill good ol' Al before you can start Dragonborn. And since I've found this entire quest line utterly boring, I want to avoid it. Even underdeveloped as it is, the Soul Cairn was still more interesting then that Nordic afterlife fail of a party.

EDIT:

A small mod worth mentioning:
Simple Magic Rebalance
Swaps the magicka reducing effects from armor etc. with the magic boost from potions. I like the simplicity of the idea. :)

Last edited:

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Archers ruining your fun? Git gud, son. :smug:
Dunno what to say...
kleinepause.4mal.de-son-disappoint-03.jpg

Will try harder.
but yes, if you don't like the TES model to begin with, not even the everlasting light of Requiem's glory can help you.
I get the appeal behind it, being free to do whatever I like whenever I want to and all that, but I think you have to give up too much regarding proper early and late game balance to achieve it. There's just no way to connect item scaling (get high tier loot late in the game, items/equipment as an important part of char building etc.) to the overarching narrative and even player leveling without that derpy Oblivion formula. It's still there in Skyrim, just less noticable, in the end it still ruins all the fun. Because there is no incentive to go treasure-hunting so why would I want to explore the gameworld?
One thing i'll give them though is that it takes a while to get to the point where the pointlessness becomes obvious in Skyrim. So it is an incline from Oblivion.
Err whatever, will replay it sooner or later anyway, so maybe I should stop whining. It's just that it could be so much better.
It would help if some capable modder would ignore game balance and concentrate on rewriting the whole fucking mess that's the game's story. Including guilds ... and without voice output. Then maybe I could ignore the mechanics. It definitely worked for Mass Effect 1.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So, I'm experiencing annoying stuttering. It is not related to my hardware per se, I think, because the game runs beautifully. But every 10 minutes or more, the game stutters/freezes up for a couple of seconds. I remember having the exact same problem on my last install and fixing it almost completely, but I'll be damned if I can recall how I did it.

Anyone got a clue?

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
So, I'm experiencing annoying stuttering. It is not related to my hardware per se, I think, because the game runs beautifully. But every 10 minutes or more, the game stutters/freezes up for a couple of seconds. I remember having the exact same problem on my last install and fixing it almost completely, but I'll be damned if I can recall how I did it.

Anyone got a clue?
Autosave?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Anyone got a clue?
Autosave?

Haha, nah. My autosave mod notifies me :)

EDIT: Wait, you might be right. Like an idiot I didn't disable normal saving. Will play a bit now that I've disabled that and see if that really was the issue.

Last edited:

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Maybe CPU or GPU overheating?
That 4GB patch everyone used back in the day is obsolete now, that stuff is included in the vanilla exe now.
Maybe some script-heavy mod bottlenecking the game once in a while when it tries to update your surroundings.

off topic:
ENBs are worth it, people! Didn't want to believe that and mumbled "graphic-whores" into my neckbeard but it's true!

My favorite atm is this one. Best compromise between graphix-whorism and performance for my crappy PC.
Oh boy the beauty! Those cozy fireplaces make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
PsT_Ignus.png

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Anybody care to hazard a guess why, even on reload, i suddenly learn 3 lightning spells out of the blue during the rain?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Anybody care to hazard a guess why, even on reload, i suddenly learn 3 lightning spells out of the blue during the rain?
Thou hast observed nature and learned with it.

And nature told you not to install 100 mods.

I have very few actual impacting mods if you take a look at that list. Also, problem solved itself, nyah.

a promise of things to come, I'm sure :oops:

Why is Grunker playing this garbage?

Respect -100

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...mended-mods-thread.66621/page-35#post-2769607

The only difference is, this time we ramped up the hardcore with a more difficult overhaul mod.

But bonus kkk for judging broness in terms of game choices.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
You know I <3 u Jaesun (just a hint of homo).

Also, Skyrim by no means becomes a fantastic game with all this. It becomes merely enjoyable. In the end, the game is simply too wide and shallow for there to be real greatness. The modded systems have their limits.

ASIS ("standing for Automatic Spells, Increased Spawns") has a feature that assigns spells to NPCs according to their stats. Maybe it's set up to include you among these characters? :M

Frostfall has some spells as well, but none of them sound like the culprit.

(I'm assuming that "the problem solved itself" is code for "The storm is over and the spells are gone")

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
ASIS ("standing for Automatic Spells, Increased Spawns") has a feature that assigns spells to NPCs according to their stats. Maybe it's set up to include you among these characters?

Frostfall has some spells as well. :M None of them sound like the culprit.

Frostfall is just some Exposure spells like Fox' Skin. Never occurred to me it could be ASIS. I thought that was just an NPC mod.

It is, but it works through reproccer dark sorcery and nothing else on your list looks like it could give you spells depending on the circumstances. Might wanna go through that again if you observe more odd behavior.

in before Brittlewind Bug 2- Electric Boogaloo

hell bovine

Arcane
ASIS ("standing for Automatic Spells, Increased Spawns") has a feature that assigns spells to NPCs according to their stats. Maybe it's set up to include you among these characters?

Frostfall has some spells as well. :M None of them sound like the culprit.

Frostfall is just some Exposure spells like Fox' Skin. Never occurred to me it could be ASIS. I thought that was just an NPC mod.

Frostfall combined with Requiem can result in a bug, where using a Frostfall spell will temporary grant you the relevant magic perk (e.g. Foxskin will grand advanced Alteration). And because in Requiem when you choose a spell school perk you get to choose new spells, this is what can happen. The perk is supposed to go away when the protection spell ends.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Frostfall combined with Requiem can result in a bug, where using a Frostfall spell will temporary grant you the relevant magic perk (e.g. Foxskin will grand advanced Alteration). And because in Requiem when you choose a spell school perk you get to choose new spells, this is what can happen. The perk is supposed to go away when the protection spell ends.

Cool, thanks!

hell bovine

Arcane
Another mod recommendation - played with only a low level character, because a combination of little time and being a slooow player means I never get far anyway:

YASH - open encounter zones, unleveled enemies and unleveled loot.

Open encounter zones simply allows the enemies to follow you outside of dungeons etc. Unleveled enemies randomizes (as far as I could see in game) enemy levels. So a group of bandits will consist of lowly viking wannabies like the Dragonborn, with one or two real vikings mixed in. The fun thing is that they all look the same, as they generally don't have better equipment (my guess it's the unlevelled loot). So taking on groups provides an interesting challenge (especially if the real viking is an archer). Works nicely with immersive creatures, ACE and ASIS; haven't encountered any bugs so far.

granit

Scholar
My favorite mods are those that removes the starting quest and dragons and let you start from wherever you want, removes scaling and reintroduces things left out from Morrowind like hand placed loot. Removal of the magical GPS map, compass, fast travel and such garbage.

Sadly you can only mod this game so much. In the end nothing can save the butchered core mechanics.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Oh, finally, something new.
ImmerSlave - Live a Slave's Life (beta - it will totes break your save, and your game, and your computer. Don't download it.)
(subtitle suggested by Aelie, author of Live a Deviant Life)

What is this?

The goal of this mod is to start the player out as an escaped slave and immerse the player in the challenges awaiting said life of escaped slavery, much in the same vein as Live a Deviant Life (from which it is clearly inspired, with much thanks to Aelie). I started something like this a long time ago, but abandoned it. Since Aelie is no longer updating LADL I figured I'd jump in (I did get permission before running with this, though it is different in a lot of ways). Installing Frostfall and a needs mod is suggested to complete immersion, but not required.

What does it do?

Gives you the option (after having installed Alternate Start - Live Another Life) to start as an escaped (or about-to-be-escaped) slave with devious devices equipped. About half of the Alternate Start options have been converted over - the others don't make quite as much sense as slave starts, but I might get to some of them later.

First, select the "I'm a slave" option from the Mara statue. Then you have some options grouped under the following general categories (see the screenshot for actual phrasings):
  • I've escaped and I'm safe (start on the docks, or in your house, etc., bound of course).
  • I've escaped but I'm still screwed (start in a slave shipwreck, or in the middle of the wilderness, or in a frozen area - good with Frostfall)
  • I've escaped but I've been recaptured (6 different choices for starting as someone's slave (if you have Sanguine's Debauchery - if you don't you just have to imagine that you are their slave). I'm going with all female mistresses this time around, so if you like FF you're in luck and otherwise... sorry).
  • I'm trying to escape this cell (the newest Alternate Start, but bound first).
66.jpg

TESV%202014-07-30%2022-28-28-93.jpg

TESV%202014-07-30%2022-28-34-46.jpg

TESV%202014-07-30%2022-28-42-04.jpg

TESV%202014-07-30%2022-28-46-86.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom