Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

Might want to use Non-Essential Children instead of Killable Children

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mod.../ajax/moddescription/?id=13202&preview=&pUp=1

Most of the others mods just remove the Child flag and as a result kids will sometimes start distorting when they sit in adult-sized furniture or use grind stones etc.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Yeah, use Non-Essential Children instead but make sure that in the menu you keep the quest-relevant kids still essential. Or not, if you don't care about quests.

Frostfall does not make stuff like iNeed and RNaD obsolete. I would add Winter Is Coming.

And of course BBP-TP for big jiggling boobs :D

7EIzKTs.jpg

Anything I should add or remove?

Based on your "hiking simulator" list, add this additional compatibility patch for...uh, additional..compatibility.

What is the consensus on the Civil War Overhaul? It looks awesome but I don't see it on people's lists. Is it worth it and does it work with Requiem?

There's a patch for Requiem. You probably don't see it much because it used to be buggy and the fame is permanent.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of Pure Weather and Climates of Tamriel?

I don't know if "(dis)advantages" are the right term since those are eye candy mods. For what it's worth, the guy that made the Requiem Survival Experience Megapatch above also made Weather and Ambience Overhaul Megapatch, which makes a bunch of "ambiance" mods work nicely together.

Does Frostfall make stuff like iNeed and RNaD obsolete?

Nope, it does different things (but they synergize nicely)

Last edited:

hell bovine

Arcane
Thanks for all the tips guys. I gave in a bought the DLC off Steam and I'm going to try polishing this turd over the weekend.

This is my planned list so far. My GPU is a potato so I'll probably drop some of these if they're too demanding. I'm basically going for a realistic sim-y experience with better leveling than vanilla Skyrim. I want to keep fan-made content to a minimum so I'm leaving out stuff like Immersive Armour.

Gamplay:
Requiem
Civil War Overhaul
Even Better Quest Objectives
Convenient Horses
Dragon Combat Overhaul
No More Mine Pests

UI:
SkyUI
Immersive HUD - iHUD
Warburgs 3D Paper World Map
Skyrim - Enhanced Camera (body visible in 1st person)

Hiking Simulator:
Frostfall - Hypothermia Camping Survival
Realistic Needs and Diseases
Requiem - RND - Frostfall AiO Patch
Wet and Cold
Wet and Cold - Ashes
Real Shelter
Cloaks of Skyrim
Better Fast Travel - Carriages and Ships - Overhauled

Mah Immershun:
Trade Routes
Immersive Patrols
Bring Out Your Dead
ASIS
Drinking Fountains of Skyrim

NPCs:
Interesting NPCs
Inconsequential NPCs
Immersive NPC in the dark
Run For Your Lives
When Vampires Attack

Sights and Sounds:
Realistic Lighting Overhaul
Destructible bottles Extended
Filled Pots
Icebreakers Improved Reverb
IHSS - Improved Horse Step Sounds
Improved Combat Sounds
Improved Fire Salts
Improved Frost Salts
Improved Glow Dust
Point the Way
Proper Length Arrows
Detailed Faces v2

Nature:
Climates Of Tamriel - Weather - Lighting - Audio
WATER - Water And Terrain Enhancement Redux
Flora Overhaul
Birds of Skyrim
SkyTEST - Realistic Animals and Predators
Roosters At Dawn
Ambient Seagulls
Clams Drop Pearls
Truly Harvest Antlers

Fun:
Killable Children
Deadly Mutilation - dismemberment blood and gore
Requiem and Deadly Mutilation Compatibility Fix
Enhanced Blood Textures
The Dance of Death
UNP

Anything I should add or remove?

What is the consensus on the Civil War Overhaul? It looks awesome but I don't see it on people's lists. Is it worth it and does it work with Requiem?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of Pure Weather and Climates of Tamriel?

Does Frostfall make stuff like iNeed and RNaD obsolete?
Last time I've checked (haven't played for some time now) there are only few compatibility patches for the newest version of Requiem, so some mods might cause trouble. And Skyrim is quite buggy on its own already.

You don't need Run for your lives - NPCs in Requiem cover and hide from dragons, and When vampires attack - Requiem disables vampire raids (though this one can be changed in the MCM menu?).

Realistic Lightning Overhaul makes the interiors in cities look too dark in my opinion (dungeons are great, though). I've used a combination of Pure waters and Pure weathers instead (with RLO for dungeons), and found them much better than both RLO and Climates.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I found that Climates is perfect, so when it gomes to light and GFX, obviously opinions will differ. Climates allows you to select from several different versions of "night". And remember that if you go full hardcore, dungeons are actually pitch black and impossible without a light source or nights eye potions.

hell bovine

Arcane
I found that Climates is perfect, so when it gomes to light and GFX, obviously opinions will differ. Climates allows you to select from several different versions of "night". And remember that if you go full hardcore, dungeons are actually pitch black and impossible without a light source or nights eye potions.
I did try Climates first, the reason why I find Pure Weathers better is because it doesn't require patches to make it work with other mods. In terms of looks, I just don't see that much difference between those two (used RLO for dungeons). Neither of them does nights well, in my opinion (the night presets in CoT just seemed to make everything dimmer, regardless of light sources).

DraQ

Arcane
As of now I'd advise caution with Requiem patches as they have not yet been updated for Requiem 1.8.1 and may (on individual basis) cause more problems than they solve.

Plus Requiem Patch Central is a clusterfuck of wtf and derp devoid of any documentation whatsoever that would allow assessing of how critical any given patch is and check whether or not it works properly with new Requiem.
:gumpyhead:
For example, what the fuck does the Cloaks of Skyrim patch do?
:hearnoevil:

tl;dr:
Warning, fun ahead.

:lol:

The skyproccer should take care of major compatibility problems for items.

https://requiem.atlassian.net/wiki/plugins/servlet/mobile#content/view/6586394

I guess you'll have to live with inconsistent crafting rules, but it should be playable. Also, this guy is helping while azirok is busy with IRL

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/56275/

This combo patch resolves issues between Requiem, Weapons and Armor Fixes and Clothing and Clutter Fixes, and integrates Reqtified versions of "True Orcish and Daedric Weapons" and "Faster Arrows". Dawnguard and Dragonborn required.

-

2ndj2jNl.jpg

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
The skyproccer should take care of major compatibility problems for items.
Not necessarily.
There have been alleged, semi-common issues with this yielding grossly inflated item stats from patches already upping them to Requiem level, then further inflation by processing (because of patches lacking the keyword used by current version to prevent this).
Personally I have also witnessed improved open faced helmets (basically replaces closed helmets with ones actually having face beneath and made to actually fit character's head, so you no longer wonder how the fuck do you squash your face to be 2x shorter when playing a beastfolk or orc) clashing in an ugly, if benign way with new Requiem - by not drawing steel plate helmet (curiously enough this doesn't affect other helms) - characters instead appear bald with small patches of missing polys behind ears. Compatibility patch doesn't help.

No, I've read about those issues too (it's common enough that ogerboss stickied a warning about that). What I meant is, disable the current out of date compatibility patches and let the proccer scale foreign stuffies to Requiem-level stats. You'd lose keywords but it should prevent iron armor providing 1000 AR or rusty dagger being stronger than dwemer hammer. (Maybe a bashed patch would put the keywords back? I'd investigate this if I had the courage to abandon 1.73 already...)

edit:

ogerboss said:
I now checked my earlier suspicion and had the following results:
  1. Bashed Patch with Relev and Delev for Requiem for the Indifferent.esp ---> everything as expected
  2. Bashed Patch with no Bash tags for Requiem for the Indifferent.esp ---> all LeveledChars/Items reverted, sanity check fails and kicks you to main menu
  3. Bashed Patch with Relev tag only for Requiem for the Indifferent.esp. ---> all Leveled Character are screwed (spawning the templates the contained originally) but leveled items are fine, sanity check does not trigger because it checks only one leveled item and no leveled characters

BTW, the guy I mentioned on my last post just uploaded a Cloaks patch.

This is a combo patch for Requiem for Winter is Coming - Cloaks and Cloaks of Skyrim. CCO fixes applied. Updated for Requiem 1.8.1. Requires Cloaks, Cloaks-Dawnguard and Winter is Coming.

Last edited:

hell bovine

Arcane
In other news - YASH got updated:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/32562/?

I've started playing with it a bit, and can recommend it for those who don't like Requiem, but still want to get rid of level scaling, or just want to try something different. The main advantage - it is very, very compatible with other mods without needing a patch.

What I've tried so far: Unleveled enemies (works on Dawnguard and Dragonborn enemies as well) and Open Encounter Zones (monsters will chase after you out of dungeons :D); those two can be used separately and don't need the main file. Yash main - starting statistics are changed to be race dependent, almost all skills start at zero and increase slower (and the first skill increase is even slooower), running and swinging a weapon drains stamina, spells have a chance to fail when casting (and a lot of other stuff I haven't tested yet). Combat AI - never played vanilla Skyrim, so I can't comment if it's worse (is that even possible?) or better. Item stats and Unleveled loot - only because I'm too lazy to download all those pretty weapons&armor mods.

On it's own, YASH is not as challenging as Requiem, but after adding Dragon combat overhaul (Deadly dragons crashes my game, but perhaps you have more luck), DFB Random encounters (another highly recommended mod), ASIS and Immersive creatures it got... interesting. Going to try adding Organized bandits to the mix next. :D

mastroego

Arcane
Level scaling can be removed even with ASIS - Encounter Zone.

For Combat I now combine:
- Immersive Creatures
- High Level Enemies
- Deadly Dragons
- Dragon Combat Overhaul
- Deadly Combat
- ACE Combat
- Combat Evolved (Core only - having already the above 2 other mods) <---- New entry
- ASIS (which also applies spells from Apocalypse and such).

With the unleveler module, it's great and really, REALLY unforgiving.
Combat is very realistic. I can kill things generally easily, but if I have to face 2 or more at the same time, I get sliced.
You cannot just charge into battle no matter your level.

DraQ

Arcane
Mighty Dragons > Deadly Dragons.

It doesn't just buff the dragons and add a type or two. It makes individual dragons distinct and individual, each with it's own array of spells, breath attacks, shouts, active/passive abilities, combat tactics and name.
If there is one mod that truly un-cliffracers the dragons this is it.

hell bovine

Arcane
Level scaling can be removed even with ASIS - Encounter Zone.
I'm not sure if they're the same, though. If I understand the descriptions correctly, YASH de-levels enemies independent of player level, based on random spawn chances. Encounter zones seems to set the range for all enemies within a zone, but I couldn't find any info whether it's independent of player level.

It doesn't just buff the dragons and add a type or two. It makes individual dragons distinct and individual, each with it's own array of spells, breath attacks, shouts, active/passive abilities, combat tactics and name.
Thanks for the recommendation, adding this one to the mix, too. :D Between the zero starting skills and ASIS & DFB encounters the start is actually more challenging than Requiem.

A question about organized bandits: from the description it seems as it scales the bandits to your level or higher?

mastroego

Arcane

I'm actually torn about this.
I remember I skipped it because of compatibility issues, and I do like the alchemy ingredients added by Deadly Dragons. (it's kind of flavorful that you can create more powerful potions with the remains of a dragon).
I should take another look at it, I guess.

I'm not sure if they're the same, though. If I understand the descriptions correctly, YASH de-levels enemies independent of player level, based on random spawn chances. Encounter zones seems to set the range for all enemies within a zone, but I couldn't find any info whether it's independent of player level.

Yes it's independent, just somewhat randomized for improved replayability. Here's what the author posted in a forum:

I've not finished encounter zones for ASIS yet, but I put up my personal plugin as an optional file if there's any interest for it. It's more of a static system, I've plotted radii from cities and roads and assigned level ranges to every dungeon in the game. The level range is always 20 levels wide.

The main quests and major guild quests are plotted out with a level progression. Dungeons near cities are the easiest, roads can have easy dungeons but also range to a medium level range (in the assumption that troops will keep them relatively clear, but not totally), and dungeons out in the far wilderness can be extraordinarily hard with dungeons set to levels 40, 50, even 60 as a minimum level.

If you use it, take care and save often. A zone level might not be represented by the first few enemies - anything under the minimum level can spawn, so you might not see the Volkihar vampire until the middle of the dungeon.

Do not expect to finish guild quests early. Mages Guild, for example, might require you to be in the 30's to 40's - the main quest, slightly higher. Unless you are extremely good (... or abuse smithing/enchanting, always a possibility), you will not complete those at low levels.

Takes the best effect with a new game as any zones already set in your current game will be unaffected.

I've been playing quite a lot with this by now, and it works pretty much as "advertised". Yes the author didn't consider it finished but what probably will happen is that a couple of zones (+ the DLCs I guess) will scale to your level and overall you won't even notice.
At the start of the game I had to keep to the streets, wandering off meant death.
Sometimes even the streets could be dangerous because of the 20 level random fork. The opposite can happen too, but on average I found dungeons in remote areas truly harder, sometimes they were exceptionally hard. Had I had installed from the start the last piece of my current combat modification combo, I should have delayed them quite a bit longer, too.
I honestly can recommend this mod as it does what I was looking for, even though it was released "as is" (I understand the author left the modding scene altogether, but I might be wrong).

Of course having Immersive Creatures in combination will help too, as you'll find more exotic monsters in the deep wilderness and lost dungeons.

Last edited:

Incantatar

Cipher
Playing Requiem again and it's a lot better than in my memory. The game only needs non shitty quests now.

DraQ

Arcane
I remember I skipped it because of compatibility issues, and I do like the alchemy ingredients added by Deadly Dragons. (it's kind of flavorful that you can create more powerful potions with the remains of a dragon).
Those remains that burn away the moment you approach?
:troll:

Playing Requiem again and it's a lot better than in my memory. The game only needs non shitty quests now.
Interesting NPCs.

Eyeball

Arcane
Correct. Interesting NPCs actually makes Skyrim resemble an RPG every once in a while.

Eyeball

Arcane
And I still can't find a mod that makes alchemy not suck the shit out of a dead goat's asshole. Wish you could craft permanent +stat potions at higher levels, but NEIN!

Alchemy is overpowered as shit already. Buy a fish, fingernail clippings and a flower for five coins, get MAGNIFICENT POTION OF RESTORE EVERYTHING

Those remains that burn away the moment you approach?
:troll:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/17978/

:australia:

-

Hmm, tried to play YASH and the scripts initialize correctly while I'm in the cell (Alternate Start), but I get a CTD as soon as I embark on my chosen beginning. It's never easy, is it?
:deadhorse:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom