Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In the brutal realms of medieval post-apocalyptic Brazil, people should swear a lot

ArchAngel

Arcane
Who asked for that?

Have you read the thread? Because the idea was that realism in 'dark ages' and 'post apoc' is measured by how much people swear. The reference being that someone, somewhere, lives in a shithole.

The idea that people who have it bad spew profanity for its own sake is a caricature of speech. It is bullshit. People say 'fuck' all the time in New York. Everything and everyone is a 'cunt' in Ireland. You'll be hard pressed to convince me the poorest New Yorker is in the shitter, considering the median income of the Bronx is higher than mine. Hell, in Rio uber drivers are sometimes accosted by traffickers for listening to profane songs on their radio. We may sell ELEX around these parts but this be a family favela, ya hear?

This thread is about stereotypes that can be used for dramatic purposes. Having characters swear could serve to add more personality to what was a pretty dry and boring story in PoE1. And yet I look to other paragons of writing worshipped around here and I don't see much of that.

MotB? VtmB? Nothing of the sort. Fat Larry says fuck, maybe once. That's his character. But not having swear word spam in a High Fantasy setting isn't in denial of 'normal speech'. Normal people aren't stereotypes. To then argue that this is a political correctness agenda lead by hippies on the american coast who don't know the real slav squatting nature of humanity isn't just a slippery slope. Its a free fall into an abyss that transports you to a torrent of bullshit that belies the biblical Deluge.
No that is not how realism is measured. It is measured in lack of artificial niceness. Swearing is just one part of people not being nice and it was just one example. Idiots just got hung up on it.
Other parts of not being nice would be everything not being a lore dump but telling you to either fuck off when you ask stupid questions or saying things like I don't have time for this.

Yea, neighbours will be nice to each other (unless they are in a feud) but they will not be nice to total strangers unless you are menacing to them or they want to sell you something or use you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom