Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inconsistent user titles/ranks

I've never paid much attention to forum ranks, but yesterday I noticed that they seem to be assigned inconsistently. If I understand correctly, they only depend on post count. However, a quick look at random threads tells me that people with the same post count have different ranks. Take this for example:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-dark-souls-discussion-thread.70465/page-142

Occasionally Fatal and dnf have similar post counts and different titles. Same thing for Yaar Podshipnik and I.

I dug out this old thread:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/what-the-non-custom-titles-mean-a-guide.32580/

Contrast with the titles in the above thread. Also, note how the OP hasn't posted since the switch to XenForo (whatever happened to him?) and he's got the lowest rank in spite of 7000+ posts.

On topic, how are titles assigned? I assume the user database records post count and title as separate values (which would allow for easier handling of custom titles I guess). But the title must be updated automatically somehow, reading from a table of sorts. But if the table is the same for all users, how can there be an inconsistency?

(Also, if this has been explained before, since I couldn't find the explanation, please link to that).

mondblut

Arcane
Switch to Xenforo fucked up the ranks. Postcount before the switch is not accounted for, or something.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Also, your achievements also give points towards ranks. Someone with 500 posts and 100 brofists if of higher rank than someone with just 500 posts.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
It seems Xenforo doesn't calculate your ranks until you've visited at least once, which is why there are so many "barely literate" grandfather-fags with thousands of posts.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
It's way to bring back long lost oldtimers/lurkers. TVO, staying true to his name, had vanished for a while, in one of his lurking visits he saw that he was tagged as a newfag and he raged-login to set things straight.

Mission accomplished.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
There's something wrong with my user tag. It should say "Crazy Bird".

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
But it does. :smug:

I've never paid much attention to forum ranks, but yesterday I noticed that they seem to be assigned inconsistently. If I understand correctly, they only depend on post count. However, a quick look at random threads tells me that people with the same post count have different ranks. Take this for example:
Tags are now based on achievement points which you get when you get an Achievement. Achievement points are gained for posting, brofists and other crap like how long you've been here for. Old users who have not visited the forum since the upgrade are not processed until they re-visit.

Tags are now based on achievement points which you get when you get an Achievement.

So, it's all about Achievements now, just like every other next-gen farce.

:rpgcodex:

Never understood why people care about ranks.

I don't care about my rank specifically, but my OCD preprocessor caught a perceived inconsistency and compelled me to make a thread.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Never understood why people care about ranks. Oh wow, I'm going to become an archmage one day! Oh yes, it's my 10000th post, let's celebrate!

Hmmm, people playing make believe...why does that sound familiar?

Oh wow, I'm going to heaven one day! Oh yes, it's my 10000th prayer, let's celebrate!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Used to be this site where you could see your Codex achievements. Where do I find that?

Also I am "Arcane". Is there a rank above that? I gotta be pretty high since I wasted more time here than any sane person ought to.
Being insane I don't even regret it.

Cassidy

Arcane
If people had pay to post here, that would drop all the shitposting by 95%.

Sure, just take a brief look at SomethingAwful to see how shitposting and idiot free those forums are.

And while at it, why don't you move there too, if you really think a pay-to-post forum is more conductive to luminaries of intellect?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
If people had pay to post here, that would drop all the shitposting by 95%.

Sure, just take a brief look at SomethingAwful to see how shitposting and idiot free those forums are.

And while at it, why don't you move there too, if you really think a pay-to-post forum is more conductive to luminaries of intellect?

We do not have the same audience as Something Awful. We actually have people here that like discussing cRPG's and various cRPG mechanics and other related topics.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Achievement points are gained for posting, brofists and other crap like how long you've been here for. Old users who have not visited the forum since the upgrade are not processed until they re-visit.

EJ1suKu.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom