Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incredible pictures from an era of games we never got to experience

sweeneezy

Novice
A couple of my favorites from fmtownsmarty
tumblr_nw7wrojXm21qzylvvo4_1280.png

tumblr_nw7wrojXm21qzylvvo3_1280.png

tumblr_nwf7ovo6NR1qzylvvo1_1280.png

tumblr_nws5qq362Z1qzylvvo1_1280.gif

tumblr_nvazwlBV231qzylvvo1_1280.png

tumblr_nv1iptbubm1qzylvvo1_1280.gif

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Why isn't there a Japanese version of GOG.com?
There is. It's called Project Egg and it's even older than GOG: https://www.amusement-center.com/project/egg/

They charge a $5 subscription fee every month and give you access to 150 free games, but the big, popular ones must be bought individually - usually costing $5-10 each as well. They have tons of goodies, like soundtracks & manuals, and great proprietary emulators.

The problem is that their marketing sucks and they are 100% focused on Japanese customers. Probably because filthy gaijins will just pirate.

Shinji

Savant
I think I read this in an interview -- probably from the Untold History book -- that japanese developers in the 80's used to heavily borrow elements from western games (e.g. Wizardry, Ultima), but then they would change a lot of stuff to make it more appealing for the japanese audience.

Btw, thanks for necroing this thread.

... that japanese developers in the 80's used to heavily borrow elements from western games (e.g. Wizardry, Ultima), but then they would change a lot of stuff to make it more appealing for the japanese audience.

Furry-san ... on your right is a dark hallway, at the end of which is a chest with a katana... HA-YA! And on your left, is a vending machine with used panties.

I think I read this in an interview -- probably from the Untold History book -- that japanese developers in the 80's used to heavily borrow elements from western games (e.g. Wizardry, Ultima), but then they would change a lot of stuff to make it more appealing for the japanese audience.

You are correct; Even the likes of both Hironobu Sakaguchi of Final Fantasy fame and Yuji Horii (Dragon Quest) cited the Wizardry and Ultima series game design as direct inspiration for their games. So much so that while Wizardry has (at least to a certain extent compared to Ultima) fallen into obscurity in the West in Japan the series continued to have ports (SNES), remakes (PS1) and new entries for quite some time. The series even had special commemoration celebrations there a few years back.

Wizardry's popularity was prominent enough to spawn this...

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Why isn't there a Japanese version of GOG.com?
There is. It's called Project Egg and it's even older than GOG: https://www.amusement-center.com/project/egg/

They charge a $5 subscription fee every month and give you access to 150 free games, but the big, popular ones must be bought individually - usually costing $5-10 each as well. They have tons of goodies, like soundtracks & manuals, and great proprietary emulators.

The problem is that their marketing sucks and they are 100% focused on Japanese customers. Probably because filthy gaijins will just pirate.
ETHR0011_1.jpg

Interesting... :M

Shinji

Savant

You are correct; Even the likes of both Hironobu Sakaguchi of Final Fantasy fame and Yuji Horii (Dragon Quest) cited the Wizardry and Ultima series game design as direct inspiration for their games. So much so that while Wizardry has (at least to a certain extent compared to Ultima) fallen into obscurity in the West in Japan the series continued to have ports (SNES), remakes (PS1) and new entries for quite some time. The series even had special commemoration celebrations there a few years back.

Wizardry's popularity was prominent enough to spawn this...

When it gets an anime, you can bet that it's something popular in Japan.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
After a few dungeons, you’ll open the way to the Tower of No Return. But at the entrance, you’ll discover that you need to view all 108 lithographs in order to enter the tower. There’s no in-game checklist, so hopefully you’ve been keeping track of which ones you’ve seen this whole time! This is one of the only design decisions in the game deemed so regrettable that it was softened in a later release – the PCE CD version requires you to visit only 12 particular red lithographs, thankfully.
Ho, so that may be what I've missed, since I remember it was a tower where a monster wouldn't let me in after I was told to go there or something. But unless I was very unattentive or don't remember well it only says I can't enter and doesn't mention the monoliths. Looks like I'll have to get back to the game some day now that I'm aware of that (unintentional cheating), although the game is not particularly interesting past the setting and open world, fights are only mediocre and dungeons were very empty up to then.

laclongquan

Arcane
... that japanese developers in the 80's used to heavily borrow elements from western games (e.g. Wizardry, Ultima), but then they would change a lot of stuff to make it more appealing for the japanese audience.

Furry-san ... on your right is a dark hallway, at the end of which is a chest with a katana... HA-YA! And on your left, is a vending machine with used panties.

Talk about fucking C&C...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom