Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Driftmoon - Enchanted Edition

Petrell

Educated
https://www.instantkingdom.com/driftmoon/

https://af.gog.com/game/driftmoon?as=1649904300

Driftmoon

Driftmoon is an adventure-oriented roleplaying game, with focus on storytelling, exploring and quests. In Driftmoon there are always plenty of things to find and people to meet, and instead of killing all of your enemies, you can sometimes talk your way through.

Features:
  • » Filled with personality, wit and goodwill!
    » Explore the dungeons, wilderness and villages of Driftmoon, you never know what you might discover!
    » You can talk with the people you meet. You may make new friends, you may find quests to solve, or you may encounter a hostile cultist of Ixal.
    » Driftmoon comes with the full editor tools used to create the game. We have our own easy scripting language, a great level editor, animation tools, the complete set!
    » You can drag things around!
    » You only need one hand to play! (Any one handed players out there?)
    » Memorable and melodic music by the talented Gareth Meek.

Driftmoon is available for preorder for €11.99.

Preordering will get you the current version downloadable right away, and access to regular updates until the game is finished. You can pay with credit card or Paypal. You will receive an e-mail containing your personal license key that can be used to download all further Driftmoon versions.

System Requirements:
  • » Windows XP or newer
    » The game has been tested to run on Wine in Linux, and on Crossover Games on OS X.
Game is being developed by finnish veteran game developer Ville Mönkkönen (previous work include Bikez II, The Forge, Wazzal, Notrium and Magebane 2: Trinity among others) along with his wife, Anne Mönkkönen. Last December, Ville received the €50.000 (~$66.000) Sammon Tekijät Award for creativity and innovation from Finnish Ministry of Education and Culture.

Last edited by a moderator:

baronjohn

Cipher
I don't know man, this dialogue is reaching toward Dragon Age-level retardedness. Also, completely top-down perspective is just weird.

driftmoon09.jpg

Petrell

Educated
baronjohn said:
I don't know man, this dialogue is reaching toward Dragon Age-level retardedness. Also, completely top-down perspective is just weird

It's design decision and is explained here. As for screenshots, most of them are old ones and much have changed since but I personally don't see any problems with them really. I've seen worse, a lot worse actually.

You can also check the Gameplay preview video.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Petrell said:
baronjohn said:
I don't know man, this dialogue is reaching toward Dragon Age-level retardedness. Also, completely top-down perspective is just weird

It's design decision and is explained here.
No, that article does not explain the design decision. Key word: FULLY. Why is it FULLY top down?

Petrell

Educated
larpingdude17 said:
gee, it sure is viral marketing in here. :roll:

Well, I first posted this in the 'The Big Indie RPG List' but decided to open separate topic in case someone wants to talk about the game and to avoid cluttering the other topic.

Petrell

Educated
Mangoose said:
No, that article does not explain the design decision. Key word: FULLY. Why is it FULLY top down?

I like top-down. It’s very rarely used these days, so it’s a bit more unique than any other choice. I like how I can make tiny ants litter the floors, and almost see secret treasures hidden behind walls. As a developer, I love how I could make this Professor Dore in fifteen minutes, and not the ten days it would have taken in a 3D program.

Basically, all the characters, animals etc. you are 2D spites, not actual 3D models. For him it's much easier and quicker to make 2D art than model entire character models in 3D modelling program (not to mention animating them). It's also perspective he has used in one of his earlier games, Notrium (his earlier games are freeware so do try them). As you can see from his other games, he has also done some 3D modelling but he seems to prefer doing 2D art.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Petrell said:
Mangoose said:

I like top-down. It’s very rarely used these days, so it’s a bit more unique than any other choice. I like how I can make tiny ants litter the floors, and almost see secret treasures hidden behind walls. As a developer, I love how I could make this Professor Dore in fifteen minutes, and not the ten days it would have taken in a 3D program.

Basically, all the characters, animals etc. you are 2D spites, not actual 3D models. For him it's much easier and quicker to make 2D art than model entire character models in 3D modelling program (not to mention animating them). It's also perspective he has used in one of his earlier games, Notrium (his earlier games are freeware so do try them). As you can see from his other games, he has also done some 3D modelling but he seems to prefer doing 2D art.
So you can't do sprites in an isometric top-down view, huh?

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Maybe it wouldn't look that weird if it wasn't so zoomed in.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Petrell said:
larpingdude17 said:
gee, it sure is viral marketing in here. :roll:

Well, I first posted this in the 'The Big Indie RPG List' but decided to open separate topic in case someone wants to talk about the game and to avoid cluttering the other topic.

larpingdude17 is a fucking dumbfuck. You don't really need to listen to anything he says. Just FYI.

And Petrell, if you are still developing this, you should probably mention this in the Codex Workshop forums. *Usually* less fucking retarded dumbfucks visit and discuss stuff there. Though be prepared (mostly) for brutal, but honest feedback.

As we like to say around here, If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen...

Good luck, and welcome to the Codex.

Morkar Left

I'm already used to the view after watching the vid on the site. But it could be a bit more zoomed out. Engine has some little details in it I like.

All in all it looks interesting and I liked Notrium. I will keep an eye on this.

Can you give a bit more details about char-generation, charsystem and combat?

Achilles

Arcane
Top-down? Bu- but Bioware said that the sky is important for immershun! You can't have an RPG without that!

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Jaesun said:
As we like to say around here, If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen...

Considering that the guy who made this his motto left in shame …

I couldn't care less what perspective it is. From what I can read and see it looks interesting, however....I need to know a lot more regarding combat, character building, skill use in-play (apart from just in dialogue), etc. You know, the important stuff.

Zeus

Cipher
New guy lists system requirements: 100% chance of plant. :D

Baron

Arcane
Weird seeing fully top down again, but fully understand it given a husband and wife team. Game needs sombreros. Banditos in sombreros.

Also like the focus on writing and exploration. The screenshots look quite nice, but the rocks stand out a little too much, too clear and sharp compared to the rest of the terrain... although mostly just when positioned on the grass. Just wandering whether they could use a little blurring to take the focus off them.

Anyway, thanks for posting your project. Keep us updated. :salute:

Son of a bitch! This guy has a wooden case, bastard! Always wanted to build one, but in a nicer darker wood or build into an entire desk. Case envy. Is that an On button on the front?! lol

zeitgeist

Magister

Nothing wrong with fully-top-down. Unless it looks really, really bad, of course. And Driftmoon sadly does.*

That a veteran game developer can't (or doesn't want to, for reasons undisclosed) find anyone to do a basic tileset/sprite set that looks even remotely professional betrays an awful amount of laziness, lack of care for the game, and/or incompetence.

* - I initially set out to compare it to the epitome of amateurishness: the proverbially horrible Elfwood art. Then I looked into it a bit deeper and realized it actually is genuine Elfwood art. I have no words.

Baron

Arcane
Graphics whore. You either do the graphics to your own ability or you have to pay someone else, and most small projects can't afford to.

The game runs on different OS, has 'memorable' music, provides full modding tools, can be played one handed to leave other hand free for self pleasuring, and yet you have to go slag a two person team over its graphics?

Is it any wonder modern RPGs just focus on prettier graphics.

laclongquan

Arcane
Like the man said, nothing wrong with top-down view, even for RPG. The key is still in your own effort and success in implementation that stuff.

One word of recommendation is that can we make a female character here? Even if it's purely cosmetic you still should do it. As we like to said: "If I have to stare at a digital butt all day, we'd like it to be a girl's butt."

In this case, the phrase become "If I have to stare at a digital head all day, we'd like it to be a girl's busomy bust."

Morkar Left

The codex nowadays is hard to please if a rpg doesn't look at least like Mass Effect 2. But that's the bare minimum, graphics like in actual shooters is the way to go.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yeah yeah yeah I am a fucking asshole but the top-down look is just fucking ugly. I'm not saying that makes this a no-go, I am just saying there is a reason people are whining to him that it looks bad, and that is because it does.

Anyway, I actually like the dialogue in that pic above, so fuck it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom