Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Strategy Games - post 'em if you find 'em

Jed

Cipher
Kings of the Dark Age seems to be an indie Eastern European ___: Total War type game. Demo now available.

More to come?

Updated: 01/24/2009

Turn-Based Strategy:
Horizon
Armageddon Empires

Turn-Based Tactical:
Battles of Norghan
Urban Legend

Real-Time Strategy:
Dwarf Fortress

Real-Time Tactical:

Grand Strategy:
Democracy 2
Kings of the Dark Age

War Game:
Battle for Wesnoth
People's Tactics

Open Source Remakes:
Freeciv
C-Evo
FreeCol
FreeOrion
UFO2000
Master of Magic: Implode's Multiplayer Edition

Deacdo

Liturgist
Wow, the graphics look nice.

EDIT: Wait a sec...this is an indie game with publishers all over the world and possible plans for a console release?

Sounds like a standard title, but with a smaller budget rather than an indie title.

Gwendo

Augur
I bought it a few weeks ago. It's nice. It can be repetitive, but on the other side, it's great if you want to play it for short periods.

There's always the addiction, about training and equiping your gladiators. The combat is turn-based, but nothing fancy.

Not bad for the price.

LlamaGod

Cipher
I had a link to a site with a ton of indie strategy games listed, but I cant find it anymore. I'll try messing around with google

Deacdo

Liturgist
Them I know. Dominions II got trashed by most reviewers. Does anyone know if it was patched into decency? Also, what's combat like?

I'm looking forward to The 82nd Airborne. The first game had potential.

Deacdo

Liturgist
The SE franchise are 4X games, right? I generally stay away from those because I need a healthy dose of tactical combat within a strategy game.

chaedwards

Liturgist
Re: Dominions 2

It's got patched a lot, but 'into decency' depends on what you mean. The same terrible interface etc, but with a lot of bugs squashed (although they hardly impacted most players at all.) It's an utterly fantastic and absorbing game with a ton of depth to and an array of different sides to play. However, combat is automated, after giving orders to your units.

I know other people here such as Llamagod also love the game, but it may not be your cup of tea if you like tactical combat.

LCJr.

Erudite
Battle for Wesnoth

Fantasy turnbased wargame. Campaigns are the branching linear type. Units are individual characters and can be carried over from one mission to the next. Units earn XP and level up usually giving you a choice between different "classes". Multi platform and opensource.

http://www.wesnoth.org/index.htm

Peoples Tactics

Interesting turnbased strategy/wargame with a WW2 feel. Actually takes logistics into account so you have to make sure your units are within your supply chain.

http://www.reijkersz.nl/peoplestactics/news.html

Couple of Battle Isle take-offs.

Advanced Strategic Command http://www.asc-hq.org/

Crimson Fields http://crimson.seul.org/about.php

WIP, clone of my favorite Sid Meier game Colonization. Programmed in Java.
FreeCol http://www.freecol.org/index.php?section=1

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Battle for Wesnoth sucks ass. The battles are way unbalanced and it's very crash-prone. Plus, all the art is anime-styled, too.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Naked_Lunch said:
Battle for Wesnoth sucks ass. The battles are way unbalanced and it's very crash-prone. Plus, all the art is anime-styled, too.

and what do you know, Exitium likes it

Section8

Cipher
Wesnoth kicks arse. It may be anime styled, but theres an enormous difference between:
paladin-attack.png

and

This (hyperlinked so it's only inflicted upon those stupid enough to click the link. If you're one of those idiots, here's some goatse.cx to wash your eyes out with.)

I've never had it crash on me, and while there may be a few unbalanced maps/campaigns, you're talking about a large volume of third party content for a free game. Of course it's going to be hit and miss. I still thoroughly enjoyed the core campaigns.

Zetor

Arcane
What Section8 said.

Wesnoth is pretty good, it reminds me of the General series way-back-when, and I dig the combat/levelup system they're using. Some nitpicks:
- No artillery, everything can only attack the neighboring hexes. This is fine for most units, but I'd really have liked mages being able to act like typical artillery (slow movement, fragile, can't attack nearby units well, but can lay down the hurt at range)
- Healing seems underpowered. I try to keep a shaman with my forces at all times, but she's WAY too squishy and the healing is minimal (when poison isn't involved, that is). When a troll can hit for 30+ in a single round, 4 hit points aren't too hot. The healing in towns is fine, though.
- As a corollary to the above, levelling up shaman is a pain. Just about the only thing I can do is get some licks in with the entangle attack on a surrounded melee-only combatant.. but if the others don't finish that unit off, he's probably going to severely hurt the shaman.
- This might just be the early levels, but so far I haven't really seen the AI react to the type of units you're building. Elvish archers with melee / rider backup, retreating to the forest after each strike, pretty much demolish all of their units, as most of them don't even have ranged attacks. Then they just build more "paper" units, ignoring that they have 4-5 "scissors" hiding right next to their base. Oh noes!
- This also means knights aren't so hot. For distance recon, elvish cavalry is superior (plus they have ranged attacks for finishing off wounded melee), and vs smaller units that typically have lots of low-damage attacks, attacking them is often suicidal. Then again, heavy armor has't started popping up yet.. still, I assume the higher level archers will be just as effective against 'em.

And really, come on, just because something appears to be anime influenced doesn't necessarily mean it sucks ass. I dislike anime and anime-inspired console "RPG"s (especially crap like the FF series), but you're only screwing yourself if you choose to ignore every game that might have angsty-looking teenager protagonists / characters with oversized heads / tentacles. Well, actually I agree with you about the tentacles..

Slightly more on-topic, Tactics Ogre is/was good, but it's not really 'indie', plus it's a PSX title (*sad face*). It's still relatively unknown, overshadowed by FFT (which is a very much overrated game imo).. it's pretty darn hard too. In fact I'd say it is actually very frustrating if you don't know what makes the game tick (which is basically: 'have everyone in your army at the same level, with at most a 1-level difference, maybe 2 levels for healers'). It is also one of the few console games where your choices actually matter, both during battles and during the sequences between battles. If you butcher everyone you see, you might end up winning the game, but the people of your new kingdom will hate you and you'll end up getting assassinated soon. Your actions also affect which NPCs will offer to join your army, and which ones will be hostile to you. The biggest choices you make (do you comply with the orders you're given and burn the town, or do you rebel?) lead to completely different scenarios ('chaotic' - 'neutral' - 'lawful') with different battles and story bits taking place at the same locales.
Some screenies I made way-back-when for a review at a hungarian RPG site (they're still up on my temporary storage site, wtf): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

-- Z.

Jason

chasing a bee
I was just playing Tactics Ogre a few minutes ago and digging it very much. I was a little disturbed, however, when I auctioned off one of my dragons and he said "I need to confess...I love you." There's something very creepy about a gay dragon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom