Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. You can now buy a 16 GB Codex Troll USB 3.0 for $30 USD (includes postage), simply [donate to the campaign] here! (Only 35 / 100 remaining)
  2. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Strategy Games - post 'em if you find 'em

Discussion in 'Strategy Gaming' started by Jed, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Gwendo Liturgist

Gwendo
    ^ Top  
  2. LCJr. Erudite

LCJr.
    ^ Top  
  3. Kraszu Prophet

Kraszu
    No on high or ever mediocre+ level people don't win just by making many carriers because your opponent will not let you to do them (there is no magic way to win, if you make photon cannons he will be safe, he will know you will not units soon and he could get expansion and kill your carriers whit economic advantage easy if you got time to make any). There is allot to sc strategy that you have no idea of, there is mind game between players of deceiving on high level, people measure timing of opponent potential bo and makes counter that would not work if timing would be different by ~30sec. Computer would need real AI to come whit those, the possibilities in sc are practically endless. Map changes ha do you expect AI to analyze map. Situation changes rapidly, human would eventually understand mistakes of cpu AI and abuse them. I think that you need real AI to play perfect a game whit not full information (fog of war in sc).
    ^ Top  
  4. Gwendo Liturgist

Gwendo
    Wow, how did they manage to copy my news in advance?!
    ^ Top  
  5. LCJr. Erudite

LCJr.
    ^ Top  
  6. Severian Silk Arcane

Severian Silk
    Here's one, called Anacreon, by the developer of Transcendence, the Outer Space roguelike.
    ^ Top  
  7. mondblut Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

mondblut
    KOEI's old L'Empereur? Could have been for NES too, but has a PC version either. Plays not different than Genghis Khan, Nobunaga's Ambitions or RTK2-3.
    ^ Top  
  8. Cthulhugoat Arbiter

Cthulhugoat
    Found this, Battle for Mandicor.

I'm not sure if you guys have the same kind of hatred for Stratago games as of RPG Maker ones.
    ^ Top  
  9. YourConscience Tacticular Staff

YourConscience
    Wow, Mandicor must be the ugliest game I've ever seen. About as ugly as my own attempt many years ago, when I tried to whip up some graphics in MS Paint! :)

I hope the gameplay turns out to be worth something, in the end...
    ^ Top  
  10. A_Leftist_Pig? Scholar

A_Leftist_Pig?
    Any tip on turnbased wargames to play? Such as Strategic Commander or Pacific Assult.

I'd like a new one since I know most 2002 and back when I was into this genré. Thanks ahead!
    ^ Top  
  11. YourConscience Tacticular Staff

YourConscience
    Immediately grab Strategic Command 2 and be very happy with it. Come back for more tips when done. Seriously. :)
    Turbografx Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  12. A_Leftist_Pig? Scholar

A_Leftist_Pig?
    Actually I played it and I did like it alot except a few things I can't remember now but I want something new yet something the same :o ! Maybe I'll just install SC2 and play it again, not done that nearly as much as with SC1 :)

Though if you have some ideas keep them coming, doesn't really need to be indie.
    ^ Top  
  13. TeeGee Novice

TeeGee
    Hmm - maybe it's kinda lame to suggest my own game ;), but oh well... I can't resist the tempation (I've stumbled upon this topic accidentaly I must admit).

If you guys are interested in indie strategy games, then you can check MAGI out. It's a sort of unique tactical game with strong RPG element attached to it. It's centered around wizard duels.
    Player decides what spells to cast, choosing from various magic schools like curses, summons etc. Enemy does the same - in general the one who can outsmart the opponent is usually the winner;). There also a character development allowing for some longer term planning.

You can view the game's website at http://www.getmagi.com and if you are lazy, you can get the demo at http://www.getmagi.com/getdemo

Have fun.
    ^ Top  
  14. Claw Erudite

Claw
    Project: Eternity
    Getting incubation isn't the issue. Getting it to run is. Unfortunately the only tip I could find on the net was activating compability mode which doesn't help me because the installation aborts with the stupid "this game needs Win95 to run" message and just copying the files from the CD doesn't work.
    ^ Top  
  15. chaedwards Liturgist

chaedwards
    Urban Legend

TBS Squad based tactics with cutesy graphics. No desire to try it myself, but thought others might be interested.
    ^ Top  
  16. Keldorn Scholar

Keldorn
    ^ Top  
  17. nagelfetisch Novice

nagelfetisch
    Hi

Firefight is a WW2 Game,which I'm currently playing,learning how to play the game takes approximately 1 minute.The full Version costs 20 bucks though and the 'graphics' are rather shitty,but it's fun.

http://windowsgames.co.uk/ff.html
    ^ Top  
  18. Turbografx Educated

Turbografx
    You should all give the Take Command series a try. Command units in the American Civil War at various levels/perspectives e.g. regiment/brigade etc. They're both pretty awesome and there are mods out to make them Napoleonic / American War of Independence themed.

http://www.madminutegames.com

Priced around $20 for D2D download.
    ^ Top  
  19. rei1974 Scholar

rei1974
    Give a try to Supernova 2: Spacewar. Sort of macromanagement game + turn based fights. The fights seems detailed with firing angle rules, ammo, recharge, etc:

http://www.spacewargame.com
    ^ Top  
  20. dagorkan Arbiter

dagorkan
    ^ Top  
  21. Severian Silk Arcane

Severian Silk
    Weewar

A browser-based PBEM strategy game, sort of like Advance Wars. The pixel art graphics are simple and self-explanatory. I haven't played it, but the site at least looks very polished, so I'm guessing it's pretty good.
    ^ Top  
  22. Burning Bridges Tacticular Staff

Burning Bridges
    ^ Top  
  23. Burning Bridges Tacticular Staff

Burning Bridges
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)