Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Strategy Games - post 'em if you find 'em

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
http://greatestbattles.f-snet.com/GB.htm

Mods and other goodies for people who would like to play the now unavailable Napoleonic games based on the Sid Meier Gettysburg engine. Lots of stuff to download which will let you play pretty much any Napoleonic battle. Still debating on whether to purchase all the old Talonsoft games again - Matrix is charging 20 quid for them. Could be an expensive month if I do :(

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
http://www.armoredbrigade.com/

Overview:
Armored Brigade is a freeware tactical wargame, focusing on realism and playability.

Main features:

* Real-time engine
* Time period: 1987
* Nationalities: Finland, FRG, USA, USSR
* Lowest level unit is a single team/vehicle
* Dynamic AI
* Maximum map size about 15x15 kilometers
* Artillery with several munition types
* Close air support, air defences. Air-to-air engagements are possible
* Fortifications, obstacles and breaching
* Time of day and variable visibility, wind and ground conditions
* Night vision and low-visibility equipment, smoke generators, illumination flares
* Unit morale, experience level and fatigue, command delay
* Battle and map generator
* 3D sound engine

Planned:

* More nationalities
* Wider time-frame: 1965-1991
* Scenarios and editors
* Linux and Mac OS-X support

Armageddon Empires is a favourite I like to turn to when the mood strikes.

http://www.crypticcomet.com/games/AE/ar ... pires.html

Turn based strategy game in a post-apocalyptic setting versus 1 to 3 AI opponents.

'Hexagonal maps depicting the ravaged wastes of earth circa 2345 featuring 3 map sizes ranging from normal to huge.

4 playable factions each with unique units, art and playing styles.

Over 75 faction heroes lead your armies into battle. Heroes allow for larger, more effective armies and have their own special abilities that can change the tide of battle or even create new weapons and technology cards.

Over 200 unique units wage battle across the savage landscape; command infantry, cyborgs, robots, powered battle armor, armor, artillery, mecha, biomecha and many more.

Over 80 unique special abilities for heroes and units; abilities like multi-targeting, shock attack, double attack, fanatic, military genius and valor allow you to find exciting combos of play just like you would in a collectible card or miniatures game.

Collectible card game flavor without the expense. Each hero, unit or facility is a card that can be added to your play deck.

Board game mechanics. Roll a unit’s attack die versus another unit’s defense die and play special abilities and cards to alter the results.

Assassinate enemy heroes, sabotage enemy facilities, gather intelligence through espionage and stealth, hunt down enemy heroes and hold them prisoner.

Drop thermonuclear weapons on your enemies or load out your units with tactical nuke cards created by your leading technologists.

Customizable game parameters allow you to select deck point values, tile point values, map size, resource rarity, specials rarity, and victory conditions

Challenging goal based AI agents see the same game you do and must gather intelligence, build armies and formulate plans just like you: “No cheating.” '

lisac2k

Liturgist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Two more, both of them turn-based, apparently. None of the both is released yet, but they look to be in alpha stage at least.

Glorious

* 'Glorious' is a turn-based strategy game with an aerial view. Game is set in original and innovative fantasy world called Navarot, which is engulfed with conflict involving all nations.
* You can take command of troops belonging to one of the eight different fractions. Each has own engaging story, specific tactics and unique equipment awaiting for yer loyal warriors.
* The possibility of customizing items and skills for all of your units along with complex strategy system creates infinitive roads to victory.
* 'Glorious' features advanced system of online gaming mode in which you will be able to prove the effectiveness of your strategy and dominate other players on the battlefield.
* Additionaly we offer you addicting and heroic single-player campaign revolving about vicious reality of Navarot.

WargameProject (currently v0.7)

* WargameProject is a Turn Based Strategy with its own fantasy universe.
* It can be played Single player (Campaign) or Hot Seat/PBeM. There are 3 playing sides in the game - Men, Dwarves and Dark. Each has unique gameplay feel and mechanics.
* The key features are rich unit model and sophisticated weapon system. There is also a comprehensive set of skills and effects (not to mention magic) that units may have. For example some units can hide, swim, fly, hunt, forage, marauder, steel, feel danger, train and summon other units, scout, make and disarm traps and do many other things.
* When it comes to battle units have body parts and can deliver different types of damage.
* When it comes to experience units not only become stronger, but also can evolve their weapon specific skills depending on the type of experience they get in battle (each hit or parry counts!).

Malvoisin

Novice
Birth of the Empires

Free open source 4X space strategy game, much like Master of Orion 2 or Microprose's ST: Birth of the Federation, features multiplayer games as well as a rather strong AI in singleplayer mode:

rpgcodex thread "Birth of the Empires" (further down this thread, game control hints are given that are quite useful for quick orientation in-game)

The game has got 2 homepages, an original german one: http://www.birth-of-the-empires.de and an english one ([url=http://www.star-trek-games.com]www.star-trek-games.com)[/url] (kind of a fan site for fan-made trek games and other freeware games where there's a subsection for the game).

Fysh

Novice
Fantasy Hex Wars

Fantasy Hex Wars - http://fantasyhexwars.com/

Online strategy game. The game is turn-based and plays a lot like correspondence chess.

The game has a fantasy theme. Players compete for dominance on hexagonal maps of 2-12 players. One interesting feature is that you can create your own maps to play against your friends.

The game is currently 100% free, and is expected to remain so (a small annual fee for server costs may eventually be introduced).

A long list of features is planned, and the game is generally updated weekly.

Screenshot from a game using a small 2-player map.

screenshot-1.png

lisac2k

Liturgist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
TripleA

TripleA is a turn based strategy game. TripleA comes with multiple games and over 100 more games can be downloaded from the user community. Supports single player vs AI, hot-seat, Play by Email, and a hosted online lobby.

TripleA is Free Software, and is released under the GPL.

The latest Stable version is 1.3.2.2.

TripleA_the_rising_sun_quartersize-1.jpg
-
TripleA_napoleonic_empires_fifthsize-1.jpg
-
TripleA_new_world_order_produce-1.jpg

ran88dom99

Novice
+ Wesnoth Cevo and TripleA all with updates

http://www.listal.com/list/free-rts-ran88dom99 Videos of a bunch of these.

SpringRTS RTS engine. 20 playable games. 60 people online during the day. BA, ZK and i like but no one else does NOTA. Free.

www.vassalengine.org Plays just about any board game but mostly just W40k Engine like Spring.

Java Settlers of Catan Board games are awesome.

Alteil Card game but the demo is effectively (without card collecting aspect) a great game.

Cosmic Supremacy http://cosmicsupremacy.com/ Multiplayer 4x. The game is weak but it's helper AI maker is amazing. Free.

Battleships Forever rtt ship manouver. Free.

Warzone 2100 Rts wit huge tech tree. Made OS.

Gratuitous Space Battles Maybe?

DungeoneerAlex

Rogue Sword
Developer
Dungeoneers ... I know this is indie because it's me. :)

Turn-based, hex grids, dice, and pretty cool art ... it's playable on the web for free while in development, and I'd love to know what everyone thinks.

(Above: The hero has just shot a Gas Spore, causing it to explode - which may or may not damage nearby Lizardman Hulks caught in the blast. Meanwhile, a Lizardman Warlock is summoning an Orc into the top right section of the room)

(Above: Map view)

lifemare

Literate
Just found this cool little game from Blue Bottle Games called NEO Scavenger. It was released last year, but i only found out about it today.
It's a TB hex grid survival strategy game set in a post-apocalyptic world, very similar to Project Zomboid. The interface is pretty weird at first-glance, but easy enough to get the hang of after a few plays. It's also pretty challenging, i confess that to have a slight advantage with enemy encounters i had to resort to some basic C++ cheating, so give it more than a couple tries before you give up on it.

988785_20120330_640screen004.jpg

988785_20120330_640screen002.jpg

lifemare

Literate
Please use the following:

1) A dictionary
2) the search function

??? There's no mention of neo scavenger in this thread. I did look for it. Isn't this thread supposed to be a repository for new Indie games?
What do you mean a dictionary? English is my second language, but i can't see any typos on my previous post... Do you mean Blue Bottle Games shouldn't be considered Indie?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom