Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter INSOMNIA: The Ark - dieselpunk sci-fi action-RPG set on a decaying space station

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
New KS update.

Fighting Arena build release date and InSomnia release plan

Hello everyone! As we are getting closer to November the anticipation grows, so in this update we will give you a better idea of when InSomnia is getting released along with other news and announcements.

ed00e065f394f6c45a44eefedfe26c6c_original.png

Object 6 is not the friendliest place in the universe
Fighting Arena release date

After running a few play-tests inside our studio we were quite satisfied with the results, and thus we will be happy to provide you all with this build next Friday. This first version of arena will include 6 different types of weapons, 5 kinds of armour and the same variety of ammunition.

You will be able to test close and distant combat, reworked controls system, AI and updated interface. To make this possible you will be able to choose up to 5 types of enemies and bring up to 2 companions to give you a hand while kicking the sorry asses of your foes. Your feedback will help us improve the combat system of InSomnia even further. We will give you more details about this stand alone build next week.

InSomnia release time frames for closed beta and Steam EA

da8d2ef33b19154b18015379755dbf28_original.png

It's always great to have a big truck on even bigger space station
Keeping in mind we still need to get your feedback regarding the improvements we introduced to combat system and other aspects of the game, we realized that finalizing the game in November wouldn't be the best idea. Other than that we still need to finish the localization and give the game as much testing as possible.

ac731c82b41a0a35ae07e5728d4339b6_original.png

Remember this baby?
So taking all this into consideration we came to the following time frames for different stages of InSomnia release:

• closed beta will be delivered by the end of this year (it's not an updated InSomnia Prologue; you can expect hours of absolutely new gameplay)
  • we will initiate the Steam EA submission in January 2017
19a1692de7944f2c82177a5d13461adf_original.png

The lack of people is not always a bad thing
One of the things about Steam Early Access program we are not quite happy with is that it takes up to 2 months for Valve to process submissions, so in case this process will take more time than we expect (and it's obviously far less than 2 months) we might start distributing this EA version of the game to all backers whose pledges include this option before it gets approved on Steam itself.

bba8569da6aa1a7af8e536393365a182_original.png

It's better to keep yourself fit when it comes to places like this one...
We will be able to determine the final release date of the game depending on your feedback about the closed beta / EA version of the game, and the amount of time it will take to get InSomnia on Steam.

ef72c8593a44a964112198b5f22f582b_original.png

...unless you want to find yourself here
See you next week and get ready to test our revised combat system with the help of Fighting Arena build!

polo

Magister
This game always looked pretty sweet, but i wonder how will it play tbh.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
when i tried the demo, the combat is bearable. not amazing, but okay.

i hope the rest of the content makes up for that though. the game looks p good

retamar

Educated
Arena?
Is this a Hack & Slash game now?
I thought this was some sort of fallouty game in DieselPunk.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I agree rolling should go away, has there been any point in history where combat with melee weapons involved rolling? Its a fucking retarded mechanic, the sidestep/backstep is far more elegant and realistic.

Dark Souls is great but then I have literally never made characters that use rolling...

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
LOL, codex autism strikes again. No should give a fuck if the animation is realistic, roll or sidestep, it's pretty much the same. The problem is when that motion/move isn't properly tied to a stamina bar so using it becomes the best possible way for solving any combat situation.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
is when that motion/move isn't properly tied to a stamina bar so using it becomes the best possible way for solving any combat situation.
Not the case here, I think.

1. Dunno, from what I see attacks deplete the stamina bar and roll-jumps don't (moar like Witcher instead of Dark Souls)
2. Tied with stamina =/= properly tied with stamina - the amount of bar depleted relative to its full size is of huge importance
3. Real-time combat can have good execution even if rolling/evading isn't tied to stamina (DMC), but it can also have shit combat even if it is (and judging by the things I've seen, fixing roll jumping won't save this system)

P.S. Block, Light/Heavy Attack, Rolling and Lock-On (with camera center) were all present in Ocarina of Time.
P.P.S. not really sure about Light/Heavy Attack, played it a long time ago

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
LOL, codex autism strikes again. No should give a fuck if the animation is realistic, roll or sidestep, it's pretty much the same.
The problem with rolling in Dark Souls is when you stay stuck in front of the enemy and rolls toward him (well you're stuck so you don't move) when he attacks to kinda cancel the attack. That's not fun at all.
But it's not a real problem and combat in Dark Souls is very good because the game don't force you into playing this way, using your shield, trying to stay off enemies' attacks and really avoiding them (by moving normally or rolling back or sideways) is very fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom