Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interstellaria ?

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I just saw this new release on Steam; Interstellaria. I did a search and didn't find anything here on our forums.

I wasn't sure if this was the right place to put this... the tags claim it is an RPG as well as a Simulation... so I flipped a coin.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/280360/

It's giving me an FTL meets PSI 5 Trading Company vibe.

Anyway, anyone checked it out yet?

cpmartins

Cipher
Real shame . Was looking forward to this one as well. It's a one man project. And probably a very bad idea to give such early review copies to youtubers.

spectre

Arcane
Steam says there's been a bugfix today. Still, not sure if the basic stuff can be fixed, UI and skippable combat being the major offender here.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

Brofist for knowing PSI-5 Trading Company.

On the topic of gameplay elements in Interstellaria - the original release of PSI-5 Trading Company had 3 missions (an updated release added a fourth one) for the aspiring Captain to undertake: The first one is easy and can be considered a tutorial mission, the second one is challenging, but the third one is impossible due to the high number of pirates present. I mean "unbeatable" impossible.

So I'd allow them (the Interstellaria devs) a little benefit of the doubt before they "get it right", especially since bugs and gameplay flaws like these have been around for 30+ years.

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
That Reroll guy who spews videos on youtube should be put down as an act of mercy.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
That Reroll guy who spews videos on youtube should be put down as an act of mercy.

That's the only video of his I've ever watched. I've seen other LP videos that mentioned the pathfinding issues, but I'm sure that will get fixed. What is more concerning are things like the cracks that need to be repaired are behind the dude, and then behind the console. Seems like it could be tedious.

I do think the combat looks... interesting. Watching the LP's of this game... the exploring of space and planets seemed really nice.

I took it off my Wishlist and moved it to Follow.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Real shame . Was looking forward to this one as well. It's a one man project. And probably a very bad idea to give such early review copies to youtubers.

Yeah, as a one person job, it's really impressive and if he walked into Obsidian with that as his experience, I would try to hire him/her on the spot.

As a finished product, it looks like it could have benefited from identifying no more than 3 (or even just TWO) key pillars and focusing on them. In other words, it looks like it tries to do too much for one person, and things like the UI - while stylish, suffer for it.

Still, I will follow it... and if he/she continues to support it - I might just buy it anyway to support it.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer

Brofist for knowing PSI-5 Trading Company.

On the topic of gameplay elements in Interstellaria - the original release of PSI-5 Trading Company had 3 missions (an updated release added a fourth one) for the aspiring Captain to undertake: The first one is easy and can be considered a tutorial mission, the second one is challenging, but the third one is impossible due to the high number of pirates present. I mean "unbeatable" impossible.

So I'd allow them (the Interstellaria devs) a little benefit of the doubt before they "get it right", especially since bugs and gameplay flaws like these have been around for 30+ years.

I only ever beat PSI5 trading comany once - and I don't remember what mission it was, but I do remember it was wall to wall pirates. It actually took me and a friend working together to beat it. Tom just focused on clicking what I told him to click - as fast as he could (fire orders, repair orders, etc) - and I told him what to do. We made it to our destination, but I don't think our cargo survived, but this is probably almost 30 years ago... so I don't remember.

I do remember that once we took an all psychic crew, thinking that they would communicate with each other and speed things up or something, but that didn't seem to be the case. In fact, I don't think I ever noticed if psychic crew members did anything different at all compared to normal crew members.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I only ever beat PSI5 trading comany once - and I don't remember what mission it was, but I do remember it was wall to wall pirates. It actually took me and a friend working together to beat it. Tom just focused on clicking what I told him to click - as fast as he could (fire orders, repair orders, etc) - and I told him what to do. We made it to our destination, but I don't think our cargo survived, but this is probably almost 30 years ago... so I don't remember.

I do remember that once we took an all psychic crew, thinking that they would communicate with each other and speed things up or something, but that didn't seem to be the case. In fact, I don't think I ever noticed if psychic crew members did anything different at all compared to normal crew members.

This site has a lot of information on PSI-5, including a list of what pirates to expect in what course of each mission. The third one has "back-to-back" pirates as you mention.

It also gives a rundown of which of the crew are useful and which are not. The bossy woman is the unanimous choice for Repair, while the 400-year old Yoda wannabe is a poor choice for Engineering due to his frail health.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I backed this on Kickstarter and just discovered I've got a Steam key sitting around -- let me know if anyone wants it. (I don't have time to get around to playing, that's for sure.)

[EDIT: Key taken by Hoaxmetal.]

Last edited:

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
I backed this on Kickstarter and just discovered I've got a Steam key sitting around -- let me know if anyone wants it. (I don't have time to get around to playing, that's for sure.)
I have all the time in the world (unemployed), will gladly check it out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom