Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inventory screen

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
@ Crichton:

You are officially in charge of "getting android to do one". Track him down and report your progress on weekly basis.

@ suibhne:

Will be considered if you manage to fill the space with all kinda aesthetical goodness.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
The relationship between the different slots is also a bit odd; there are lines connecting some of them, but it doesn't really make any sense. ("Belt Bag" probably isn't tied to "Ring" or "Hand slot" in the game, but they're tied together graphically on this screen.) Overall the screen seems like a (very attractive) jumble; there's no real link between the (non-paper) doll and the slots (which is to say, their geometric relationship on the screen is not meaningful), and the slots themselves appear to be interrelated by the lines drawn between them but really have no such relationship. Personally, I'd favor moving the doll out of there entirely and thereby enabling all of the slots to relate to each other more logically - i.e., their geometry would approximate the body - but I also understand that kids these days really like to play dress-up and be able to see changes dynamically without closing and re-opening the inventory screen. Not a big deal either way, but the screen just feels a little busy and not as elegant as it could be.

I agree that the lines don´t make much sense, but I need something there the give a frame to the slots. If you (or someone) can give me a better idea, just tell me. And about the “geometry approximating the body”, it´s a great theorical idea, as that is what I wanted to do, but it´s almost impossible in practice, due to the un-even distribution of the slots in the body (we have 1 in the head, 2 in the neck (amulet and cloack), 2 in the chest (armor and cloak), 2 in each hand and 2 in the belt, and none in the legs and feet. So if we try to follow a “body” it would end up being VERY uneven. And that´s not taking into account the icon size! Great idea, but impractical. :)

Elhoim said:
Does everyone see the space to the left of the X? I hate it. I need ideas to fill it up. Start. ;)

I don't think it's so bad. However, you might put a space there for the character's name, or a useless button to, let's say, unequip all items.

DMKW

Novice
Nice work Elhoim! I didn't like your others so much however I do like this one. ...definitely getting better and better.

denizsi

Arcane
From the other thread:

android said:
denizsi said:
Where's Android, is he working under the hood as well?
I wish i was working on the UI, but I have a new freelance job from the 1st January and I barely have time to do anything else :( I hope the situation will cool down in a few weeks, but right now I can't promise anything unfortunately. I'm glad that VD chose both designs, I would really love to finish and polish the interface I did before. Btw the head that appered in the UI is mine, so I can't really pass such opportunity to have it in the game :lol:

Let's hope he's free as soon as possible.

Durwyn

Prophet
I think it would look better if the background colour of items list was the same with on-character slots and info bar.

denizsi

Arcane
It was brighter actually, he made it darker. I agree that it could still be slightly darker, but exactly as dark as the other slots.

deleted.

Just noticed I've taken the wrong brochure.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Looks great! One niggle, however. I noticed in the "storage" slot only six items are displayed at once... wasn't that the same limitation Oblivion had? Just an observation. Anyways, keep in mind that the more items that can be displayed to the left, the better. Also, some sort of sort ability would be appreciated.

denizsi

Arcane
I think..

denizsi said:
For a junk-collecting game that is Oblivion, it was something to be criticized indeed, for browsing through inventory items on a limited interface could become nauseating or tiresome fast, but I imagine there won't be that degree of need in AoD due to nature of the game. I don't think you'll be carrying 100+ items in it, and in such a game, such a limit on interface is perfectly comfortable in my opinion, provided that there are also sorting buttons. You probably won't be carrying 6 sets of armor, 12 sets of weapons, 70+ potions, ingredients and more useless junk.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Greatatlantic said:
Looks great! One niggle, however. I noticed in the "storage" slot only six items are displayed at once...
We can reduce the size of the items.

Also, some sort of sort ability would be appreciated.
There are filter buttons to the right.

Kraszu

Prophet
Reducing the size would be good, maybe even have 2 items in one line, they would not be to small if you do that, and you select them whit mouse anyway.

Would be nice if items would be split into groups like first weapon that cost the most, after weapons armors [...]

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Vault Dweller said:
There are no magical "+1" rings/amulets. However, there are

1) Disguise items (insignias and rings)
2) Special items like the amulet on the screen - it has a swissknife-like functionality (see those mini-tools) and a magnifying glass in the middle - it's a handy item for characters with high lore. Other examples are astrolabe (amulet), poison ring, etc.
3) Prestige items to show your wealth and trigger dialogue options.
4) Quest-specfic items (can't explain without spoiling)
I'm gonna be so pissed if your game turns out not being as good as it sounds.

Durwyn said:
I think it would look better if the background colour of items list was the same with on-character slots and info bar.
Is is just me or is the background of the paperdoll a lighter shade of gray? Maybe that'd be a compromise for all item slots.

I am not feeling very critical. Latest shot looks better than before, yay for progress.

Here's one idea though: how about no paperdoll and arranging the items looking like a pie-chart instead, with the armor in the middle and a missing piece where the paper doll is in this design? Although I do keep thinking "Egpyt" when think about it.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
Did anyone actually like the way items were displayed in Oblivion with the mod that made the font smaller? I mean besides the fact that there were no pictures or description lore for items I thought the way you could easily sort things by weight, price, damage, and so on was pretty efficient and useful.

android

Novice
Vault Dweller said:
@ Crichton:
You are officially in charge of "getting android to do one". Track him down and report your progress on weekly basis.
HAHAHAH!

Elhoim said:
TEH FUGLY!!!11!1!, Get android to do one, I really liked how clean his interface was.
Pay him to do it ;)
Me being profeshunal graphic artist and such doesn't mean I wouldn't do stuff for free ;-) I just simply have ZERO time right now, so I cannot compete unfortunately. Projects of interest that you do in your free time simply require that time to be had and since everyone decided they want new interface right now, I cannot help much...

Vault Dweller

Developer
Claw said:
Vault Dweller said:
There are no magical "+1" rings/amulets. However, there are

1) Disguise items (insignias and rings)
2) Special items like the amulet on the screen - it has a swissknife-like functionality (see those mini-tools) and a magnifying glass in the middle - it's a handy item for characters with high lore. Other examples are astrolabe (amulet), poison ring, etc.
3) Prestige items to show your wealth and trigger dialogue options.
4) Quest-specfic items (can't explain without spoiling)
I'm gonna be so pissed if your game turns out not being as good as it sounds.
Hey, it's not like I'm promising some next generation gameplay here. Even ToEE had some disguise opportunities and that was a very light game.

android said:
I just simply have ZERO time right now, so I cannot compete unfortunately. Projects of interest that you do in your free time simply require that time to be had and since everyone decided they want new interface right now, I cannot help much...
That's understandable. However, your interface design was great, so if in the near future (say, the next 3 months) you find some time to tinker with our interface, that would be highly appreciated.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I'm sure he meant it as in "there could be a bonus and completely optional UI patch, even long after the game is released", right? Right?

denizsi

Arcane
Did anyone actually like the way items were displayed in Oblivion with the mod that made the font smaller? I mean besides the fact that there were no pictures or description lore for items I thought the way you could easily sort things by weight, price, damage, and so on was pretty efficient and useful.

Efficient and useful for a junk collecting game. VD has yet to say anything on this though, whether there would be just many items to collect or not.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Jora said:
Do you intend to release this before summer? :?
No idea. We are working on it and at the moment there is stuff to be done. Don't read this response as evasive - I simply don't know. I want to get it out as soon as I can for more reasons than you can imagine, but I want to release a polished product. How long would it take? I don't know.

Take the interfaces, for example. Compare what Elhoim/Android did to what I had before. The difference is huge and scary. Scary as in I can't believe I was going to release the game with the old interfaces. Now see how long it took to re-design only 3 interfaces out of ... (too lazy to count).

If Gothic 3 can teach one anything, it's the importance of polish. G3 should have spent another 6-12 months in development, and that's an action game, and PB has a full time team. We don't have this luxury, but we'll do our best to deliver the best possible product.

denizsi said:
Efficient and useful for a junk collecting game. VD has yet to say anything on this though, whether there would be just many items to collect or not.
Quite a lot. 25 unique weapon models x 4 metal upgrades x other upgrades (balance, edge, etc), helmets, armor (again, times upgrades), alchemy stuff (leafs, roots, chemicals), scrolls, rings, keys, amulets, potions, misc, etc.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Greatatlantic said:
Looks great! One niggle, however. I noticed in the "storage" slot only six items are displayed at once...
We can reduce the size of the items.

Use your judgement, though I'd see it depends on how many items a player will have on average. If its say 12, then a "see space" of 6 isn't so bad. If its like Oblivion and becomes thirty or forty easy, then you need to rethink the display, in may opinion. Though, those filter keys can certainly reduce a good portion of the potential problems.

Jora

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
I want to get it out as soon as I can for more reasons than you can imagine, but I want to release a polished product. How long would it take? I don't know.

Take the interfaces, for example. Compare what Elhoim/Android did to what I had before. The difference is huge and scary. Scary as in I can't believe I was going to release the game with the old interfaces. Now see how long it took to re-design only 3 interfaces out of ... (too lazy to count).

If Gothic 3 can teach one anything, it's the importance of polish. G3 should have spent another 6-12 months in development, and that's an action game, and PB has a full time team. We don't have this luxury, but we'll do our best to deliver the best possible product.
The old interface really wasn't that bad. It seemed to be cleaner and easier to use than the IWD2 interface, it wasn't as awful as that of Arcanum and it wasn't the ugly collection of bright-colored squares that is the interface in Geneforge. People have had to stand some really horrible designs, so some minor modifications to the existing AoD interface aren't likely to win or lose any customers.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Me being profeshunal graphic artist and such doesn't mean I wouldn't do stuff for free ;)

:D

Not that you wouldn´t do it for free, but you don´t have time because you are working to get money to live, eat and all that stuff ;).

So if he wants you to have time for this, he should pay you so you wouldn´t need to work and have all the free time in the world ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom