Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Inxile forces One-Man Studio to Change the Name of their game

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Of course, you pick your battles. It's the way it works unfortunately.

Fargo isn't a trademark, Wasteland is. If they don't aggressively defend their trademark it could come to bite them in the ass in the future. If say a few years from now someone does develop a blatant Wasteland ripoff (an isometric party based game with turn-based combat with Wasteland in the title with a similar setting) InXile/Fargo would have a weaker case if in the meantime numerous games (no matter if they're low-budget indie trash) came out with names like Sons of Wasteland, Alien Wasteland, Vampire Wasteland, San Francisco Wasteland, Wasteland Bros etc.
Doesn't matter, Fargo and inxile by association are cunts for picking on smaller developers and trying to bully them into changing the name of their games while leaving bigger studios alone because they have the money to defend themselves more effectively.

Athelas

Arcane
Would it have been okay to call the game "Alien Fallout"?

lol seriously though who cares, it's shovelware.
If that game is shovelware, I can understand why Fargo would be afraid someone would confuse it for Wasteland 2.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :troll:

Last edited:

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
So InXile sucks so much at making games they have to sue small developers. Maybe they should also sue anyone using "2" in a title as well.

Mustawd

Good riddance. Like pippin said it's established law and you have the right to protect your property.

You guys act like this is new. Wasn't 90% of the dex up in arms when someone tried to trademark Grimoire?

Why? Oh yah, cuz some shady indie dev wanted to take advantage of the notoriety Cleve has been creating for the past 20 years.

C'mon guys give me a break.

Murk

Arcane
I was laughing my ass off when Cleve threatened to sue the neofag guys working on 'dudebro 2'.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Aaah capitalism.. Copyrighting existing words... I'll never get this shit.

I mean OK, if you are Tom Clancy and for some reason someone makes a Tom Clancy Rollercoaster tycoon without your permission, I guess you could have valid reasons to pursue the issue....
But Wasteland? It's a fucking word, how the fuck can you tell people they can't use a word? It's not like InXile invented the god damn word.

Ridiculous shit

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Luckly local gaming journalist/historian felipepepe was at hand to try and dig fundo into this story...

t0r0VrO.jpg
LOL, let Fargo lose goodwil by playing Copyright troll... Here in HUEHUEland we don't need no popamole hypotetical post-apoc Wasteland with goody-doer rangers, we have our own SERTÃO, filled with motherfucking Cangaçeiros:

100x cooler than Wasteland 2 will ever be. :obviously:

Lucky

Arcane
Look kiddos, here's an easy way to parse this. If trademark law was really that stringent then inExile would have already lost their (dubious) trademark by not challenging companies like Bethesda. It's not. No really, it's not.

JasonNH

Augur
Like pippin said it's established law and you have the right to protect your property.

It doesn't mean you have to be a cuck for your lawyers and shelve your common sense. Frivolous malpractice suits against doctors and fast food chains for having hot coffee are your right too, but it doesn't mean you're not a dick for doing it.

No you probably won't get it because you're a retard if you think this has anything to do with capitalism since this can only happen when business is being overly regulated by the state.

Mustawd

It doesn't mean you have to be a cuck for your lawyers and shelve your common sense. Frivolous malpractice suits against doctors and fast food chains for having hot coffee are your right too, but it doesn't mean you're not a dick for doing it.

Why is he a dick again? I don't think he is.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Such bullshit.
Don't care how fucked up the trademark/copyright/patent system is in the US, you just don't do that kind of shit. "Wasteland"? Really?

Mustawd

I'm gonna make a game called Angry Pepsi-Cola's new Barbie adventure.

If I get shut down someone ELSE is being a dick!

Amirite guise?

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron

Amirite guise?

Apart from Angry, none of these are commonly used words you twat.
Wasteland is, always has been and we've been in a fucking post-apocalyptic zombie craze wave for a couple years...Pushing "wasteland", especially in this context, is just a fucking dick move, allowed by a fucking retarded justice system. Period.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

No you probably won't get it because you're a retard if you think this has anything to do with capitalism since this can only happen when business is being overly regulated by the state.
Yeah the presumption that someone can "own" words and demand legal or ofcourse monetary retribution if someone else tries to use them has nothing to do with capitalism, it's "the state". Sure mate.

Angthoron

Arcane
On the other hand, Angry Birds owners should totally slam down Birdemic for possible damage to the brand.

Mustawd

Amirite guise?

Wasteland is, always has been and we've in a fucking post-apocalyptic zombie craze wave for a couple years...Pushing "wasteland", especially in this context, is just a fucking dick move, allowed by a fucking retarded justice system. Period.

Don't blame the player blame the game. You guys are getting way too invested over some clickbait indie dev.

Learn 2 business or gtfo. You guys are just excusong his lazines for not doing a quick trademark search online. It takes literally 5 minutes.

Mustawd

Yeah the presumption that someone can "own" words and demand legal or ofcourse monetary retribution if someone else tries to use them has nothing to do with capitalism, it's "the state". Sure mate.

You guys do know that capitalism refers to owning capital right? The term refers to owning parts of a company. Hence "capitalism". Jimmiois is right in that regard at least.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Amirite guise?

Wasteland is, always has been and we've in a fucking post-apocalyptic zombie craze wave for a couple years...Pushing "wasteland", especially in this context, is just a fucking dick move, allowed by a fucking retarded justice system. Period.

Don't blame the player blame the game. You guys are getting way too invested over some clickbait indie dev.

Learn 2 business or gtfo. You guys are just excusong his lazines for not doing a quick trademark search online. It takes literally 5 minutes.

Then why doesnt inxile go after american wasteland or wasteland workshop or anything else that uses the word? because they know that they will be eaten up in court, they are acting like cunts going after those that have less means than themselves, trying to bully them without going to court.

ROARRR

Savant
Possibly Retarded
The article makes me angry! Angry because of what Inxile did! :argh:
It is their right to do that right?! Yeah, but check the circumstances Inxile before you go hardcore. :deadhorse:

Mustawd

Amirite guise?

Then why doesnt inxile go after american wasteland or wasteland workshop or anything else that uses the word? because they know that they will be eaten up in court, they are acting like cunts going after those that have less means than themselves, trying to bully them without going to court.

Yes, you are right. I don't see anything wrong with this. They have a legitimate claim. And all edginess aside, I'm not against this particular dev, or any other. But it's bothersome, from someone from a westenrn country that believes in Capitalism, that things like ownership rights are so casually dismissed. Someone worked really hard to establish Wasteland and took a ton of risk. Someone also was able to trademark the name in a video game. That is a positive thing. We shouldn't let people infringe on that just because some one man studio does it 20+ years later.

As to why they don't pick on Ubisoft? Obviously, because they don't have the resources. That's business. I don't feel bad about that either. And I'm pretty sure if you could quantify the value of an IP into something physical, you'd probably see Wasteland's value chipped away a bit by Ubisoft's infringement. I honestly believe that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom