Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

inXile General Discussion Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
inXile Entertainment’s Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie, a writer on the recently-launched PlayStation 4 game, Horizon: Zero Dawn

:hmmm:

Actually, is Torment mentioned at all in this writeup? lol it isn't! Reading this you get the impression that they're five unrelated people.

Last edited:

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Interesting, Numenera and Horizon: Zero Dawn share near similar setting: post post-apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic futuristic.

Btw, what is critical path document ?

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Oh, I thought this was scraped.

New Orleans, LA, March 2, 2017inXile Entertainment announced today that initial model packs from Wasteland 2 are now available for sale on stock 3D marketplace TurboSquid.

The initial packs include dozens of characters and creatures that shipped in the remastered HD edition of Wasteland 2. The characters are all rigged, and additional animation packs from the game are also available for sale. “When we looked at which models to publish first, the characters made the most sense,” explained inXile CEO Brian Fargo. “There’s a huge amount of variety, and some opportunities to get really creative mixing and matching the different customization options. People will be able to have a lot of fun with these.”

As for what content will come next, the two companies agree that there are many different options. They hinted that customers might see more Wasteland 2 content like props and weapons, or a batch from inXile’s newest title, Tides of Numenara. “Part of getting this first batch ready was figuring out how to make the process work,” said Matt Wisdom, TurboSquid CEO. “Now we can watch with inXile to see what customers are most excited about, and focus on getting them even more incredible models.”

All models are available with a standard royalty-free license.

https://www.turbosquid.com/inxile-3d-models

signature_square.jpg00FB8A4F-ABAE-44F2-B6F6-6A9B3C93D7CDOriginal.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Brian Fargo and Interplay stuff coming up on the Digital Antiquarian: http://www.filfre.net/2017/03/a-little-status-update/

As the subject line says, just wanted to let you all know about the latest going-ons here at Digital Antiquarian corporate headquarters. My Patreon supporters know already that I visited Rochester a couple of weeks ago to spend more time in the archives of the Strong Museum of Play. This time I spent an entire week going through their recently acquired collection of papers from Brian Fargo and Interplay. What I’ve come back with will do a lot to inform future articles. It’s really interesting and occasionally exciting stuff.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
This time I spent an entire week going through their recently acquired collection of papers from Brian Fargo and Interplay. What I’ve come back with will do a lot to inform future articles. It’s really interesting and occasionally exciting stuff.

It would be interesting to know how many babies Fargo ate.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Better late than never:

PR & Community Manager
Production New Orleans, LA

inXile entertainment is searching for an amazing and driven Community Manager that is looking to engage with and take great care of our passionate RPG fans. If you live and breathe role-playing games, enjoy tackling difficult questions with ease, and can be respectful under the most challenging of situations, come join our growing team!

Responsibilities:
  • You'll be engaging with our community by acting as the administrator in our official and Steam forums, responding to key community needs.
  • You'll manage and maintain our community announcements and engage with our fans, enlisting their ideas on what they feel is important in our games.
  • Our regular Kickstarter and Fig updates will be under your command, requiring you to coordinate with development and production team members to come up with exciting information the community cares about.
  • You'll be our social media maven, maintaining our official accounts while continuing to foster exciting conversations.
  • You'll act as customer support, responding to inquiries and questions on our live titles.
  • You’ll interact with press and streamers directly, setting up coverage and interview for our titles.
  • And you'll interface with our external PR agencies, planning and coordinating PR opportunities.
Requirements:
  • A passion for RPGs, and specifically inXile's games.
  • Familiarity with gaming's most recent games, trends, and industry issues as if it's second nature.
  • Bachelor's degree with a focus in Public Relations, Communications, Marketing, or a related field.
  • At least 2+ years of experience in community management in some form or fashion.
  • A naturally social person, willing to engage in and maintain relationships between various video game influencers, partners, and fans.
  • Experience managing social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch, Instagram and more.
  • Knowledge and experience with crowdfunding platforms, trends and challenges.
  • Independent and problem-solving-focused mentality, with a desire to find new opportunities for promotion, press, communication, and in working with the inXile team to resolve community and customer issues.
Bonuses:
  • Knowledge of graphic design, image editing, and video creation programs, as well as common file formats and standards used on social media and the internet at large.
  • Engaging and comfortable on camera, as well as shooting and editing video. In fact, you might even have an existing audience on YouTube or Twitch.
  • Experience with crowdfunding campaign management and crowdfunding web sites, including Kickstarter, Indiegogo, BackerKit, CrowdOx, Fig, and more.
  • Experience creating and managing PR plans, schedules, and coordinating with third parties to build and maintain brand image.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Better late than never:

PR & Community Manager
Production New Orleans, LA

inXile entertainment is searching for an amazing and driven Community Manager that is looking to engage with and take great care of our passionate RPG fans. If you live and breathe role-playing games, enjoy tackling difficult questions with ease, and can be respectful under the most challenging of situations, come join our growing team!

Responsibilities:
  • You'll be engaging with our community by acting as the administrator in our official and Steam forums, responding to key community needs.
  • You'll manage and maintain our community announcements and engage with our fans, enlisting their ideas on what they feel is important in our games.
  • Our regular Kickstarter and Fig updates will be under your command, requiring you to coordinate with development and production team members to come up with exciting information the community cares about.
  • You'll be our social media maven, maintaining our official accounts while continuing to foster exciting conversations.
  • You'll act as customer support, responding to inquiries and questions on our live titles.
  • You’ll interact with press and streamers directly, setting up coverage and interview for our titles.
  • And you'll interface with our external PR agencies, planning and coordinating PR opportunities.
Requirements:
  • A passion for RPGs, and specifically inXile's games.
  • Familiarity with gaming's most recent games, trends, and industry issues as if it's second nature.
  • Bachelor's degree with a focus in Public Relations, Communications, Marketing, or a related field.
  • At least 2+ years of experience in community management in some form or fashion.
  • A naturally social person, willing to engage in and maintain relationships between various video game influencers, partners, and fans.
  • Experience managing social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch, Instagram and more.
  • Knowledge and experience with crowdfunding platforms, trends and challenges.
  • Independent and problem-solving-focused mentality, with a desire to find new opportunities for promotion, press, communication, and in working with the inXile team to resolve community and customer issues.
Bonuses:
  • Knowledge of graphic design, image editing, and video creation programs, as well as common file formats and standards used on social media and the internet at large.
  • Engaging and comfortable on camera, as well as shooting and editing video. In fact, you might even have an existing audience on YouTube or Twitch.
  • Experience with crowdfunding campaign management and crowdfunding web sites, including Kickstarter, Indiegogo, BackerKit, CrowdOx, Fig, and more.
  • Experience creating and managing PR plans, schedules, and coordinating with third parties to build and maintain brand image.

Sent your application first thing in the morning?

:troll:

Trolling aside, damage already done, good fucking luck trying to fix the reputation and the relationship with the customer base, once it's gone it's almost impossible to fix, especially in the short-term. They should've done this ages ago and hire actually someone who's great at recognizing the potential trapholes and actually be pro-active, and actually give them power to affect things. But based on the impression I've gotten from the inXile people and how they interact with their customer base, they A) wouldn't listen to the person, B) would leave them to the wolves and C) "Now we can ignore our customers, our CM will tell them what they should think".

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
How long before Avellone complains about inXile just like he complained about Obsidian? :M
That will be a different complaint. He will complain he got paid nothing after all Inxile games go bust as expected :M

Avellone did some writing for FTL pro bono. So I seriously doubt money is a huge priority to him. If it was he probably would have chosen a more lucrative career than writing.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
All I can say is, good fucking luck finding a passionate oldschool RPG player who's also a naturally social person and a natural on camera. :shittydog:

Seriously though, that's a lot of responsibilities, makes we wonder how much Fargo is really involved in day to they operations? He's basicaly invisible unless they have to do some promoting, then he shows up. shaking hands, patting the backs, and allowing the blushing reporters to bath in the glory of legendary game developer. And now apparently they want to hand over even that part of business to the Community Manager.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
All I can say is, good fucking luck finding a passionate oldschool RPG player who's also a naturally social person and a natural on camera. :shittydog:

Seriously though, that's a lot of responsibilities, makes we wonder how much Fargo is really involved in day to they operations? He's basicaly invisible unless they have to do some promoting, then he shows up. shaking hands, patting the backs, and allowing the blushing reporters to bath in the glory of legendary game developer. And now apparently they want to hand over even that part of business to the Community Manager.

Given how they've handled the communications with the customer base and backers so far, like I said, there's a very good chance that they're just gonna hire someone "To deal with those pesky customers" so they can just ignore them/us. Those companies who understands the importance to keep customers happy, are generally those who does the best too.

I've ordered a lot of stuff from webstores, and there's a reason why Amazon grew to be so huge, say what you will about Amazon but they have relatively good customer service compared to many other big webstores; The replacements for faulty orders/items are handled quite quickly, they have pretty easy procedure for handling returns etc. Many other stores are fucking hassle to deal with, "You need to send faulty item back first", or as Barnes & Noble did during one of their "buy 1 get 1 free" sales on Criterion blurays, they sent me the wrong disc so I complained, their reply? "Send back the wrong disc and we'll refund it, you're free to order correct film again"...with full price as the sale had ended by the time I received my faulty order, last time I ordered anything from them.

inXile will find it out too that their horrible customer management and communication will come to bite them in the ass as well.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Given how they've handled the communications with the customer base and backers so far, like I said, there's a very good chance that they're just gonna hire someone "To deal with those pesky customers" so they can just ignore them/us. Those companies who understands the importance to keep customers happy, are generally those who does the best too.

I've ordered a lot of stuff from webstores, and there's a reason why Amazon grew to be so huge, say what you will about Amazon but they have relatively good customer service compared to many other big webstores; The replacements for faulty orders/items are handled quite quickly, they have pretty easy procedure for handling returns etc. Many other stores are fucking hassle to deal with, "You need to send faulty item back first", or as Barnes & Noble did during one of their "buy 1 get 1 free" sales on Criterion blurays, they sent me the wrong disc so I complained, their reply? "Send back the wrong disc and we'll refund it, you're free to order correct film again"...with full price as the sale had ended by the time I received my faulty order, last time I ordered anything from them.

inXile will find it out too that their horrible customer management and communication will come to bite them in the ass as well.
TBH; I think their customer relations service was excellent, refund was handle graciously and speedily. But community management on the other hand, that's really confused and misguided, to say the least.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
inXile's Wasteland 3 SEC filing from February: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1658966/000121390017000921/f1apos2_figpublishing.htm (Fairfax says he posted this but I can't find it)

Wasteland 3 returns players to a post-apocalyptic setting, this time the savage lands of frozen Colorado, where survival is difficult and a happy outcome is never guaranteed. Players will face new difficult moral choices and make sacrifices that will change the game world. Each player’s reputation in the game is theirs to build from scratch, and the choices made could have far reaching decisions that will impact the shape of the game world. Wasteland 3 will include an updated dialog tree system, vehicles and environmental dangers, as well as a more fluid action system, improving on Wasteland 2’s tactical turn-based combat and encounter design. For the first time in the history of the Wasteland franchise, players will also have access to an online multiplayer system to journey into the post-apocalyptic wastes with their friends. Once a game is started, players can play Wasteland 3 missions with or without friends, with different consequences depending on the actions taken online or offline.

For a number of reasons discussed elsewhere in this offering circular, including in the sections entitled “Our Business” and “Risk Factors,” there can be no assurance that the Wasteland 3 game will generate earnings from which dividends will be paid to holders of Fig Game Shares – Wasteland 3. In addition, the final version of Wasteland 3 that is commercially released may differ from the game as currently described in this offering circular. Game development is a creative process, and Fig, as a publisher of the game, would expect to support that process rather than hinder it, and publish the final version of the game if it complies with the Wasteland 3 License Agreement, even if its development involves creative detours.

inXile Entertainment, Inc.

inXile Entertainment, Inc., a California corporation formed in 2002, is a privately held video game development studio with locations in Newport Beach, California and New Orleans, Louisiana. Headed by its chief executive officer, Brian Fargo, inXile includes among its individual developers both industry veterans and up-and-coming talent.

inXile is an independent video game developer, meaning that it is not owned or controlled by one of the large, traditional video game publishers. Examples of large, traditional publishers include Sony (which owns the PlayStation, one of the principal platforms on which consumers play games), Microsoft (which owns the Xbox platform), Electronic Arts, Ubisoft, Tencent and Nexon. Historically, independent video game developers have been required by traditional publishers to relinquish all their intellectual property rights in the game they are developing, including distribution rights and rights over sequels and other derivative works, in exchange for receiving funding to finance the game’s development. This business model, which has been characterized by some game developers as “work for hire”, has often left developers with low revenues, delayed or uncertain cash flows and little or no return from a game after it is delivered to the publisher.

inXile began as a “work for hire” developer, but in recent years has embraced rewards crowdfunding as an alternative means of financing its game development while also increasing its return on published games. inXile was one of the first game studios to use rewards crowdfunding to finance multiple million-dollar projects, including Wasteland 2;Torment: Tides of Numenera (due to be launched later in 2017); and The Bard's Tale IV (due to be launched later in 2017). In April 2012, inXile launched a Kickstarter campaign to fund Wasteland 2 and raised more than 300% of its initial goal of $900,000, collecting $2,933,252. In March 2013, inXile’s Kickstarter campaign for Torment: Tides of Numenera broke the then-existing record for the fastest Kickstarter drive to reach $1 million, raising that amount in seven hours and two minutes. At its conclusion, that campaign set the record at the time for the highest-funded video game on Kickstarter, with over $4 million pledged. In June 2015, inXile launched a third Kickstarter campaign to fund the development of The Bard's Tale IV, raising over $1.5 million. As a result of using rewards crowdfunding, inXile has been able to finance game development outside the “work for hire” business model and receive ongoing revenues after launch from rewards-crowdfunded games. Operating as a “work for hire” developer was a financial and business challenge for inXile. Operating under a rewards crowdfunding model has materially improved inXile’s financial and business position. With Wasteland 3, inXile in seeking for the first time to develop a game with funds raised not only through rewards crowdfunding but also through investment crowdfunding.

inXile had its first game, The Bard’s Tale, published in 2004. Over inXile’s history, it has shipped 12 games across 15 platforms. During the most recent five full years, and since then, the following games developed by inXile have been published:

AiJZpvt.png

inXile has a history of developing games on multiple platforms, and many of its games have met with critical and commercial success. Among the games developed by inXile since 2011, Wasteland 2 was profitable to inXile, Hunted: The Demon’s Forge was approximately break-even to inXile and Choplifter HD was not profitable to inXile. Since 2011, all of the games undertaken by inXile have been developed to completion and published. In 2010, however, inXile’s game Hei$t was cancelled by its publisher, Codemasters, near the end of the game’s development. In addition, the original release date of Torment: Tides of Numenera has been delayed by over two years, in part due to project management issues that inXile has since addressed.

inXile has developed games with development budgets across a wide range of sizes, from budgets of $250,000 to $10 million. The Company believes, and inXile has reported to the Company that it believes, that the funds from the Fig crowdfunding campaign and internal investment by inXile will be sufficient to complete the development of Wasteland 3 to a commercially marketable level, consistent with the Wasteland 3 License Agreement.

inXile currently has three games in development: Wasteland 3, Torment: Tides of Numenera and The Bard's Tale IV. Fig and inXile are of the view that inXile is sufficiently staffed to handle the development of all these games. inXile employs approximately fifty full-time employees, including development personnel specializing in design, animation, 3D art, audio engineering, production, writing, programming and concept art. From time to time, inXile works with contractors for specialized work relating to game development, such as quality assurance.

For a discussion of the risks that apply to inXile as a developer, please see “Risk Factors – Risks Related to The Current Game and Developer”.

It is the Company’s view that, based on its knowledge of inXile and its operations, including the information discussed above, and the fact that the game being developed is a sequel to a prior game, and therefore much is already determined as to its design, characters, music and sound, inXile is qualified to deliver Wasteland 3 on time and as agreed in the Wasteland 3 License Agreement.

inXile currently estimates that the expected delivery date of will be no later than October 31, 2019, as may be extended by inXile for up to six months, and as may thereafter be extended only by mutual agreement of inXile and Fig, with Fig’s approval not to be unreasonably withheld or delayed.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
We'll never know if it was really Saunders' fault. They say it, but they're full of shit.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Interesting that WL2 brought in $5.1 million less than PoE.

edit: it's also interesting that inXile's collateral to Fig is $500,000 in the form of 10k WL3 keys. That plus paying dividends is really going to have an impact on inXile's bottom line. Makes the move to Fig look more desperate.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Moreover, the ratio of the sums of the pledges for the respective KS projects is at least somewhat close to the ratio their revenues, even if Obsidian is doing better in post release sales.

I think it is more telling that Tworment is lagging badly behind PoE in terms of sales, and yet their KS popularity was about the same.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Moreover, the ratio of the sums of the pledges for the respective KS projects is at least somewhat close to the ratio their revenues, even if Obsidian is doing better in post release sales.

I think it is more telling that Tworment is lagging badly behind PoE in terms of sales, and yet their KS popularity was about the same.

It's not even because it's worse or something.

They just:

1 - Took too long.
2 - Weak weak marketing. You can see the early access numbers when noone knew how the game would turn out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom