Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

inXile General Discussion Thread

Old One

Arcane
Apple ][s did not take additional monitors, friend.
You're right about that. I assume they meant a replacement monitor for people with enough money and know-how to replace the green-screen with a color monitor or a television.

The form says, "Optional Peripherals: Color TV or Monitor," which I take to mean support for a color television or a color monitor. In other words, the game should support color, not just monochrome.

Color monitors became more common pretty quickly. I remember using the later Apple IIe with a color monitor.

Prime Junta

The early colour monitors were really, really shitty though. First computer I worked on was an IBM PC XT, this was in 1985 or thereabouts. It was the de-luxe version with 256 kB RAM and a massive 20 MB hard disk, and a colour CRT. It was really, really blurry, and I wished many a-time that they'd just given me the standard green monochrome one.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I don't remember exactly when additional monitors became a thing, but whenever it was, it was much later. Mid-1990s?

I think they became reasonably common only recently, though.

Yep. I did some desktop publishing in the late 1990s to early 2000s (interned at an advertising agency, also), and at one point fairly early in that game it was common to have two monitors -- a bigger ca 15" vertical monochrome one for text and page layouts, and a smaller ca 12" colour one for colour work. Big good-quality colour monitors were scary expensive and also video cards didn't have the VRAM to push 24 bits at resolutions much higher than 640 x 480.

I'm talking about gaming here.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Rex is on Daily Caller? Sheesh.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/08/05/t...decline-in-video-game-funding-on-kickstarter/

The Death Of Nostalgia Drives Decline In Video Game Funding On Kickstarter

ianmilescheong-profile-image.jpg

IAN MILES CHEONG

Public support for funding video games on Kickstarter is on the decline. It’s partially due to a decrease in consumer confidence over failed projects, many of which were driven by the gaming press that gave these titles undeserved hype. But the creator of the popular role-playing game, “Wasteland 2,” believes there’s a lot more to it.

A mid-year status report on Kickstarter by ICO Partners revealed that while crowdfunding for Kickstarter projects continues to grow, support for video game projects is on the decline. In comparison, tabletop and board games are enjoying tremendous growth. This is in direct contrast to 2012’s numbers, when board games pulled in $6m compared to video games’ $17m.

According to the report, which was first published on GamesIndustry.biz, funding for video games dropped from $19.98m in the first half of 2015 to $7.9m in the first half of 2016. The figure is at $9.4m for the first half of 2017—less than two million more than it was last year. It’s a tremendous decline from its peak $28m peak in the first half of 2013.

One of the most overhyped games to be fully funded on the platform was “Mighty No. 9.” Touted as a spiritual sequel to the classic a “Mega Man” franchise, fans were sold on the developer’s promises about the nostalgia-driven project, bringing it to life on Kickstarter for $3.8 million.

The developer’s decision to hire a vocal feminist to be its public face was met with apprehension from project backers. Many were appalled by her antagonistic attitude and insistence on injecting her feminism into the game. Fan reaction was reported in the press as “misogynist harassment.” When the game was released three years later, it flopped. High-profile incidents like this contributed to the public’s negative perception of crowdfunded games and distrust in the press.

The Daily Caller spoke with Brian Fargo, the CEO of InXile Entertainment and the creator of multiple successful Kickstarter-backed projects, including “Wasteland 2” and “Torment: Tides of Numenera.”

“I started to feel the winds of change for Kickstarter funded video games in 2016 and unfortunately it hasn’t subsided,” said Fargo. “I’ve read articles lay this on the fact that a few high-profile games didn’t deliver but I think there are more dynamics at stake. I personally think the bigger factors are that Kickstarter helped to revitalize some older genres that were being forsaken and now those categories are filled, the sense of being denied is over.”

“We’ve also got quite a few consumers that backed the games, were proud of their ability to support yet never found time to play those very same games,” he continued. “It’s pretty hard to motivate someone to crowdfund future games when they didn’t play the last two they backed. Unlike board games, video games have to compete with a plethora of new releases on a daily basis.”

Despite the increasing disinterest in Kickstarter projects, Fargo doesn’t believe that it’s all doom and gloom for game developers.

“I’ m not sure it will hit the excitement and frequency numbers of 2015 but I firmly believe that the big campaigns will be possible when profit sharing sites like Fig start to show results for people,” Fargo told the Daily Caller. “Once a company or franchise can show the ability to make money for investors I expect future campaigns will fund in a matter of minutes.”

“It’s hard to imagine we could hit the kind of volume we once did on games like those but never say never,” he said. “There is always some idea that catches fire and surprises everyone but again I’m placing my bets on the combination of rewards and profit share to hit the higher numbers.”

Fargo doesn’t think there’s much developers can do to improve crowdfunding’s tarnished reputation until the hype and hysteria settles.

“I’m not sure developers can do much about perception, it will work itself out over time and ground itself in reality with the facts,” he said. “Something I’ve noticed is that people and websites that are the most vocally opposed to crowdfunding are not typically the ones that support them in any way. Often I see the supporters being more understanding.”

“Crowdfunding has been an incredible thing for companies such as inXile, Obsidian, Larian and many more but of course there have been failures,” concluded Fargo. “My personal opinion is that the big failures tended to provoke the people who were not big fans of the crowdfunding concept to begin with whereas supporters tend to point towards the successes.”

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Rex is on Daily Caller? Sheesh.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/08/05/t...decline-in-video-game-funding-on-kickstarter/

The Death Of Nostalgia Drives Decline In Video Game Funding On Kickstarter

The Daily Caller spoke with Brian Fargo, the CEO of InXile Entertainment and the creator of multiple successful Kickstarter-backed projects, including “Wasteland 2” and “Torment: Tides of Numenera.”

“I started to feel the winds of change for Kickstarter funded video games in 2016 and unfortunately it hasn’t subsided,” said Fargo. “I’ve read articles lay this on the fact that a few high-profile games didn’t deliver but I think there are more dynamics at stake. I personally think the bigger factors are that Kickstarter helped to revitalize some older genres that were being forsaken and now those categories are filled, the sense of being denied is over.”

“We’ve also got quite a few consumers that backed the games, were proud of their ability to support yet never found time to play those very same games,” he continued. “It’s pretty hard to motivate someone to crowdfund future games when they didn’t play the last two they backed. Unlike board games, video games have to compete with a plethora of new releases on a daily basis.”

Despite the increasing disinterest in Kickstarter projects, Fargo doesn’t believe that it’s all doom and gloom for game developers.

“I’ m not sure it will hit the excitement and frequency numbers of 2015 but I firmly believe that the big campaigns will be possible when profit sharing sites like Fig start to show results for people,” Fargo told the Daily Caller. “Once a company or franchise can show the ability to make money for investors I expect future campaigns will fund in a matter of minutes.”

“It’s hard to imagine we could hit the kind of volume we once did on games like those but never say never,” he said. “There is always some idea that catches fire and surprises everyone but again I’m placing my bets on the combination of rewards and profit share to hit the higher numbers.”

Which means the games need to have bigger mass appeal and target players outside the core supporters "who haven't found the time to play them" - or investing wouldn't make sense. (The inXile way of bringing Numa to the consoles wasn't an astounding success and any investors will certainly keep this in mind.)

“I’m not sure developers can do much about perception, it will work itself out over time and ground itself in reality with the facts,” he said. “Something I’ve noticed is that people and websites that are the most vocally opposed to crowdfunding are not typically the ones that support them in any way. Often I see the supporters being more understanding.”

“Crowdfunding has been an incredible thing for companies such as inXile, Obsidian, Larian and many more but of course there have been failures,” concluded Fargo. “My personal opinion is that the big failures tended to provoke the people who were not big fans of the crowdfunding concept to begin with whereas supporters tend to point towards the successes.”

Which websites would that be?

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

http://www.pcgamer.com/inxile-boss-brian-fargo-hints-at-a-starflight-reboot/

InXile boss Brian Fargo hints at a Starflight reboot
He dropped a tease about the classic space exploration game on Twitter.

Starflight was originally released by Electronic Arts in 1986, and without overstating things in the slightest, it was brilliant. It was one of the first sandbox games, turning players loose in a huge (relatively, anyway) galaxy filled with planets to explore, resources to mine, and alien races to deal with, all of it lying on top of a story that required some real effort to uncover. I loved it—it's one of those game that I occasionally think about and wonder why it's never been picked up for a remake.

Cue inXile head honcho Brian Fargo, who recently weighed in on a Twitter conversation about how Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifices threatens to delete your save file if you die too often. When a user noted that Starflight was even harsher, Fargo tweeted, "We need a Starflight remake!" And when someone else asked if inXile was making one, he replied with this.

An inXile rep said that Fargo had no further comment on the matter, so that's the end of that. But it's interesting, strictly academically, that Wasteland was released by EA in 1988, just two years after Starflight, while the first Bard's Tale came out the same year as Starflight—and oh, look at that, it was also from EA. InXile is working on a new Wasteland and a new Bard's Tale game right now.

It's might be nothing, but for those of us who fell in love with the original, it's something.

Also:

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
So it's the BT title, which released on the highest number of systems and (likely) also is the best selling BT title ;)

Iznaliu

Arbiter
So it's the BT title, which released on the highest number of systems and (likely) also is the best selling BT title ;)

A lot of people seemed to mention it every time something to do with BT4 was posted on Reddit.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ased-the-bards-tale-remastered-and-resnarkled

Surprise! inXile just released The Bard's Tale: Remastered and Resnarkled

UPDATE 5PM: Sony via InXile has confirmed to us the European launch dates for The Bard's Tale: Remastered, which are 21st August on Vita and 22nd August on PS4.

ORIGINAL STORY 12PM: The Bard's Tale: Remastered and Resnarkled has just been released by developer inXile Entertainment.

Writing on The Bard's Tale official Facebook page, the developer revealed it has released a remastered version of the game for PlayStation 4 and PS Vita.

"inXile Entertainment is proud to announce that a remastered version of its first title, the action RPG "The Bard's Tale", is now out on PS4 and PS Vita," the developer wrote on Facebook.

"Featuring doubled resolution for all textures, the game also runs at 4k 60fps. Sharing only a name with the original series, this "Bard's Tale" is instead a comedic send-up of the fantasy RPG genre starring Cary Elwes as the Bard and the late, great Tony Jay as the bemused Narrator of the tale. 13 years later, it endures as one of our most popular titles on PC and mobile. Today, we are pleased to return the game to the console realm."

inXile went on to say the game is currently available on the North American PlayStation Storeand will be coming to Europe soon.

In The Bard's Tale player's take on the role of the wise-cracking bard, a selfish rogue who only thinks of himself, money or women. Bored with pest control and rubbish quests, the bard goes on a quest for coin and cleavage which includes a multitude of odd characters, a lot of action and several musical/dance numbers. It's all very Monty Python-esque.

The Bard's Tale 4 is also in development by inXile after a Kickstarter campaign to make the game was a success, comfortably reaching its $1.25m goal with the best part of a month to spare.

A date and price has not yet been announced for the game's European release, but is currently $9.99 on the North American PlayStation Store.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ased-the-bards-tale-remastered-and-resnarkled

Surprise! inXile just released The Bard's Tale: Remastered and Resnarkled

UPDATE 5PM: Sony via InXile has confirmed to us the European launch dates for The Bard's Tale: Remastered, which are 21st August on Vita and 22nd August on PS4.

ORIGINAL STORY 12PM: The Bard's Tale: Remastered and Resnarkled has just been released by developer inXile Entertainment.

Writing on The Bard's Tale official Facebook page, the developer revealed it has released a remastered version of the game for PlayStation 4 and PS Vita.

"inXile Entertainment is proud to announce that a remastered version of its first title, the action RPG "The Bard's Tale", is now out on PS4 and PS Vita," the developer wrote on Facebook.

"Featuring doubled resolution for all textures, the game also runs at 4k 60fps. Sharing only a name with the original series, this "Bard's Tale" is instead a comedic send-up of the fantasy RPG genre starring Cary Elwes as the Bard and the late, great Tony Jay as the bemused Narrator of the tale. 13 years later, it endures as one of our most popular titles on PC and mobile. Today, we are pleased to return the game to the console realm."

inXile went on to say the game is currently available on the North American PlayStation Storeand will be coming to Europe soon.

In The Bard's Tale player's take on the role of the wise-cracking bard, a selfish rogue who only thinks of himself, money or women. Bored with pest control and rubbish quests, the bard goes on a quest for coin and cleavage which includes a multitude of odd characters, a lot of action and several musical/dance numbers. It's all very Monty Python-esque.

The Bard's Tale 4 is also in development by inXile after a Kickstarter campaign to make the game was a success, comfortably reaching its $1.25m goal with the best part of a month to spare.

A date and price has not yet been announced for the game's European release, but is currently $9.99 on the North American PlayStation Store.

They clearly need the cash so much that they don't care about brand dilution.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter

His company and the other big names lost the goodwill of the player base by producing underwhelming junk. To make matters worse for them there are smaller studios that are producing superior games with a tiny fraction of the backing. And I personally just think they're a bunch of assholes for how they treated some of their biggest and earliest supporters once they felt that they didn't need them anymore.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Hard to believe the same will happen now, but when Bard's Tale 2004 came out on mobile platforms a few years ago, it made inXile a big pile of cash and helped fund Wasteland 2's development.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Hard to believe the same will happen now, but when Bard's Tale 2004 came out on mobile platforms a few years ago, it made inXile a big pile of cash and helped fund Wasteland 2's development.

Has anyone here played it and is in a position to comment on it?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not on mobile. I played the PC version for a little while and it didn't grab me. An opening quest that's an ironic send-up of hunting rats in a tavern basement is still an opening quest about hunting rats in a fucking tavern basement. No idea if that's useful to you.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Yes:

"Codex Consensus" is COMPLETE ABOMINATION.

My own opinion, as probably one of the few people who actually played the entire thing, is that it was pretty interesting for what it was but ultimately became too grindy in the last third of the game.

It's a hack n' slash with a fun "tactical creature summoning" twist. It had a Paragon/Renegade dialogue system 3 years before Mass Effect (including EXTREME BARD Renegade responses equivalent to Shepard's famous collar grabs), and even some choice and consequence. There are also stats to increase on level-up but they're pretty superfluous to the experience.

But more thought needed to go into the game's encounter design and overall balance - after you gained the ability to summon more than 1 or 2 creatures at a time, everything became too much of a mindless clusterfuck.

IMO, the game's high point in terms of combat was Highland Park, where you had to tactically manage your summons to simultaneously defend yourself from melee attackers while killing ranged attackers in hard to access areas.

The dungeon in the mountains with the undead vikings was pretty brutal too, and required lots of smart crowd control tactics to clear out. The game loses its steam after that when you reach Dounby, the big city.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom