Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

inXile General Discussion Thread

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
@39:50
Fargo said:
I totally punked Chris Avellone once, it was so funny. We were having a company party, we were bowling, we invited him and he came. And so I told the waitress, I go "ask him for his autograph" y'know like he's like this world famous guy, like y'know. It's like, I mean Chris Avellone in our industry is well-known but not outside of that. So she walks up and she goes "are you Chris Avellone?" And he says "YES!" [LAUGHTER] He still to this day doesn't know that I did that to him.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
https://twitter.com/tonurics/status/1041579805840269312

It's funny how often people say things on the @RPGCodex forum trying to be flippant/controversial, without realising how close they are to describing what really happened behind closed doors...

Game Credits (By Role)
Programming/Engineering
Torment: Tides of Numenera (2017) (Engineers)
Technology
Wasteland 2: Director's Cut - Limited Edition (2017) (Web Developer)
Other
Wasteland 2 (2014) (Web Developer)

What could this be referring to? :M

Bohr

Arcane
Hmmmm. Perhaps the Rohypnol theory was closer to the mark than we first suspected.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Or maybe these?

Wait, so half of this game is outsourced including combat engine and inXile's job is to put it all together and sell it for profit?

It's almost like a new age publisher!

I'm joking of course, but it seems a little crazy to make a blobber and outsource the combat engine. Maybe we'll start to see more of this going forward? Outsource not just music and cutscenes and marketing and art assets, but you could do it with the entire systems design & implementation of minigames. KS 'writer stretch goals' that send in their work remotely, etc, etc.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
USGamer podcast interview (from 25:39):

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/a-...rgo-plus-where-the-heck-is-final-fantasy-viii

A lot of Final Fantasy games are coming to Switch, but not Final Fantasy VIII. What gives? We ponder that, and also talk to Inxile founder Brian Fargo in the latest episode of our RPG podcast [download link here]!

The last time Brian Fargo was on the podcast, he expressed doubt that his games would work with the Switch's audience. But with Wasteland 2 launching on the Switch eShop last week, Fargo is ready to offer a mea culpa. Also, we talk about Bard's Tale 4, which is out tomorrow on PC, the current realities of indie development, crowdfunding, and more.

Also in this week's episode, we talk about all the Final Fantasy announcements for Switch. We're excited about Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles and Final Fantasy VII, but where the heck is Final Fantasy VIII? Nadia and I have thoughts.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/brian-fargo-wants-to-buy-back-interplay-1202944111/

InXile Entertainment CEO Brian Fargo wants to resurrect Interplay if his latest game sells well, he said in a tweet on Monday.

“I’m asked what would we do if ‘Bard’s Tale IV’ PC is a big hit,” he said. “How about this stretch goal. I will attempt to buy Interplay back if we manage to sell over two million units in the first 18 months.”

Variety reached out to Fargo to confirm whether or not he’s serious about the potential purchase. “I certainly am,” he said via email. “My fans have been requesting me to bring back my old Interplay games for years and this would be the most amazing way to make that happen.”

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
USGamer podcast interview (from 25:39):

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/a-...rgo-plus-where-the-heck-is-final-fantasy-viii

A lot of Final Fantasy games are coming to Switch, but not Final Fantasy VIII. What gives? We ponder that, and also talk to Inxile founder Brian Fargo in the latest episode of our RPG podcast [download link here]!

The last time Brian Fargo was on the podcast, he expressed doubt that his games would work with the Switch's audience. But with Wasteland 2 launching on the Switch eShop last week, Fargo is ready to offer a mea culpa. Also, we talk about Bard's Tale 4, which is out tomorrow on PC, the current realities of indie development, crowdfunding, and more.

Also in this week's episode, we talk about all the Final Fantasy announcements for Switch. We're excited about Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles and Final Fantasy VII, but where the heck is Final Fantasy VIII? Nadia and I have thoughts.

Listened to this, it's half an hour. Most interesting part is at around 47:30 where Fargo starts talking again about how he's worried about rising budgets and whether his games will sell. Also his regret about Torment - overpromising and underdelivering instead of the opposite.

lophiaspis

Arbiter
Someone should make a .gif of Fargo's reaction to getting shillcucked by Sony and Squeenix from around 41:00, when those twerps start babbling on forever about the amazing HDR graphics and emotional storytelling of Tomb Raider and Spiderman :lol:

2yl6wc5.png

Why would you invite Brian Fargo on your podcast and then spend the time blatantly shilling for godforsaken console trash? Was it part of their agreement to somehow sucker Interplay fans into buying this crap?

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
He was their web design / backer portal guy, so his attitude may be related to inXile moving to external service providers (CrowdOx + Xsolla). See his latest tweet:

His LinkedIn:

Created a crowdfunding network for three major video game properties that raised over 1.5 million dollars in additional donations from 120 thousand active users. Using a multidimensional snowflake database schema, the whole server network was able to run on economy class VPS hardware.

In addition to my official role of "all internet things", my responsibilities expanded into any task of a technical nature: game development, digital publishing, product development, production, marketing, artwork, etc. I was responsible for the well-received Linux port of Torment: Tides of Numenera, many game system tools [including the Torment dialogue editor], as well as the multi-platform Bard's Tale emulated collection and Wasteland 2 releases.

Artwork I created for Wasteland 2 was framed and hung in the CEO's office, it has since been used to make physical posters and foam board signs. Additionally, my artwork for Torment: Tides of Numenera was turned into a poster; combined both posters have been sold roughly 3 thousand times.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Artwork I created for Wasteland 2 was framed and hung in the CEO's office, it has since been used to make physical posters and foam board signs. Additionally, my artwork for Torment: Tides of Numenera was turned into a poster; combined both posters have been sold roughly 3 thousand times.
I wanted to see exactly which artworks were his so I searched "jason dora art"

wasn't disappointed
DCcyBq9UQAAXmt0.jpg

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
:lol:

He meant these two, he uploaded them on LinkedIn:

This was a physical poster that was sold from our website. The small lines you see in the background are the in-game credits of all the who helped crowdfund the game, which are readable in poster form.
ext.jpg

ext3.jpg

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Speaking of posters.. what the fuck is he talking about? Did they actually have posters done?
And whatever happened to this: http://tormentrpg.tumblr.com/castofflabyrinth

That was supposed to become a poster at some point. But, more importantly, whatever did Dana Knutson do for this game besides that? Yet another bait&switch as far as I can tell.

Also:

“My fans have been requesting me to bring back my old Interplay games for years and this would be the most amazing way to make that happen.”

What titles does Interplay still have?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Could be actually interesting if we weren't already aware of inXile's ability to take a franchise and turn it into the "poor man's" version of itself.

From those I'd guess they could push out a Dragon Wars wannabe.
But the others? Platformers and action games? inXile is most likely a much worse choice for that than even Obsidian is.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Standard issue "it's been a wild ride" and "I learned so much" tweets. If you got nothing to say, can't you at least not waste anyone's time?

Bohr

Arcane
Someone should make a .gif of Fargo's reaction to getting shillcucked by Sony and Squeenix from around 41:00, when those twerps start babbling on forever about the amazing HDR graphics and emotional storytelling of Tomb Raider and Spiderman :lol:

Quick shitpost!

Prime Junta

Fucking Torment fucking tides of fucking bitchass Numenera. Burn mediocre sequels to the ground and salt the goddamned ground. If there are no sequels at least we have our dreams. A mediocre sequel takes even those away from us.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom