Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Irrational Games shutting down

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Whoa it feel like he is saying "I don't want to make the same bioshock shit again and again so take the IP" so he could go make Iphone games
Or he found christ on his cookie jar and will do another Freedom Force sequel

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Does this mean biocock failed commercially? I mean if bioshock was as successful IRL as among critics, I couldn't see this kind of thing happen...
Herostratus cannot into reading.
BioShock has generated retail revenues of over a half billion dollars

Isn't that over the entire series? Also Infinite was in developent for a shocking amount of time and saw multiple high-level departures during development (they finally brought in a lead Gears of War dev to help finish it). It's possible it needed GTA-level sales to survive.
It probably is for the entire series, but it is still good profit.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
In before Randy Pitchfraud and his Gearbox goons get to make Bioshock 3.
Fuck.
The only third instalment Randy should be busy with is Borderlands 3.

Of course he is. By buying Irrationals remains he may gain some bait for moniez for his dearest child you mentioned - Burderlands 3. Just like DNF and Alien CM case...

All this instability is going to scare away future game devs/programmers/artist.
Who the fuck wants to work in such a toxic industry?

The whole gaming production is not stable from start.
And existence here is based on tastes random people, lot of them. Do they buy enough games? Buy enough to start another production? Is the publisher sink our group because investors turn back or what?
Toxic... no shit. Now crunch moar and don't forget to smile to the camera meatbag.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Bio Infinite and the smugness of Levine annoy me but I think he done the right thing on restarting and putting some thinking on what he is doing (if this isn't PR speaking and Take Two just raped Irrational for Bio Infinite.). I'm really curious to see Morgoth's reaction when he announces Dear Esther: Elizabeth Edition. :smug:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Bio Infinite and the smugness of Levine annoy me but I think he done the right thing on restarting and putting some thinking on what he is doing (if this isn't PR speaking and Take Two just raped Irrational for Bio Infinite.). I'm really curious to see Morgoth's reaction when he announces Dear Esther: Elizabeth Edition. :smug:

I'd naturally open a thread about it.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Can't say I'm happy about this. Irrational hasn't made anything worthwhile in a long time, but they're still part of gaming history.

Oh well.

Siel

Arcane
Patron
I still don't know why SS2 is listed as an Irrational game. I always thought it was from LGS actually. Somebody cares to explain?

Heresiarch

Prophet
I have been wondering, how could 2K allow such a thing to happen? It's huge hit on the Bioshock franchise and possibly 2K's reputation, and you know how valuable those things are. It would be practically the same as Steve Jobs firing everyone in Apple right after releasing iPhone. Unless of course 2K already has no interest at all in preserving Bioshock.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I still don't know why SS2 is listed as an Irrational game. I always thought it was from LGS actually. Somebody cares to explain?

Common misconception. They co-developed it. Irrational developed the game content, LGS developed the engine. Though I suppose in practice there was some cross-pollenation there.

Siel

Arcane
Patron
It's been a long time I played SS2 and I tend to forget game credits. But anyway thanks for the info.

Edit : Oh ah ah I didn't even remember this

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I have been wondering, how could 2K allow such a thing to happen? It's huge hit on the Bioshock franchise and possibly 2K's reputation, and you know how valuable those things are. It would be practically the same as Steve Jobs firing everyone in Apple right after releasing iPhone. Unless of course 2K already has no interest at all in preserving Bioshock.
They're already been a non-Irrational Bioshock. They'll be another.

Azazel

Arbiter
The highlight of this is all the staff currently whining on Twitter because they were too fucking retarded to immediately start looking for a new job after they crapped Bioshit 3 onto the market.

qt2D9Tv.png

ezvPADh.png

sW6XakX.png

:butthurt:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It is a really low move. Why not just let someone else run the company?

Tom Selleck

Arcane
i read this and i hoped they had just gone under
because of terrible games
but no they are just turning into ken levine's vanity project
so this is worse than i ever could have imagined
instead it is ken levine firing people so his ego has more room in the building

Siel

Arcane
Patron
They're already been a non-Irrational Bioshock. They'll be another.

Which is funny because it was actually the better one.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Ken is a celebrity designer. He can do whatever the fuck he wants. #AmerigaMeansOpportunity

I don't know any other celebrity designer (or movie director, or corporate manager) who dares to mass firing people due to "I wanna be more craetif". Maybe George Lucas will fire all but 20 guys of Lucasfilm in order to become more entrepreneurial and creative in filming Star Wars Episode X.

Caim

Arcane
Now there's only one thing that can be done: get these people back together and kickstart the long-awaited Freedom Force 3.

make narrative-driven games for the core gamer
what the fuck is a core gamer and how do i kill it
It sounds like something out of Portal, so I suggest casting it into a pit of fire.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

This. After two parts of Bioshock, I had enough. It lacked enemy variety, too easy, and the sequel was even more linear than the first part. Spiritual successor of System Shock my ass.

In before Randy Pitchfraud and his Gearbox goons get to make Bioshock 3.

Fuck.
The only third instalment Randy should be busy with is Borderlands 3.

Will you be my co-op partner ?

:desu:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom