Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Divinity: Original Sin the best cRPG from the "new wave"?

Is Divinity: Original Sin the best cRPG from the "new wave"?

• Total voters

Jarmaro

Liturgist
It had good combat and music.
Climate, story and generall fairytale style/cartoonishim were incredibly annoying.
I wish they've made it even slightly more serious.

gaussgunner

Arcane
I would say Dragonfall exells at everything it attempts, it just has a rather narrow focus that leaves certain traditional RPG aspects behind (e.g. loot/inventory management).

Thanks, I might try that next. Looks like my kind of RPG in most respects. Not too much frippery. No VO. If no inventory means no itemization spam and no god damned crafting, great. I guess the downsides are some dubious design choices... visible skillchecks, PCs getting killed in dialogue, and the cheesiness of orcs and trolls and elves and magic in a cyberpunk RPG. Still, not bad by RPG standards. :D

DeepOcean

Arcane
At least we all can agree in that Wasteland 2 is a :deadtroll:, right?
I wouldn't go there as it is playable with the Director's Cut but as I said, most of the new wave RPGs did something right even if falling short on alot of fronts, exception being Wasteland 2 that is mediocre all around and NumaNuma that is just LoL, "WTF is this shit!" level. Interesting, InXile was the company I mostly placed my faith on and the one that disappointed me on all occasions it had.

Vorark

Erudite
Nope, Shadowrun Dragonfall is better, offers the most tight and balanced experience. It's such a well designed game which does not waste your time with frivolous dialogue, cutscenes, voice overs, trash fights or annoying inventory management. Out of the recent games, it is my favorite.

Underrail is a close second; unfortunately I played DC pre-patching and that still stings; a blotch on an otherwise excellent game.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I wouldn't go there as it is playable with the Director's Cut but as I said, most of the new wave RPGs did something right even if falling short on alot of fronts, exception being Wasteland 2 that is mediocre all around and NumaNuma that is just LoL, "WTF is this shit!" level. Interesting, InXile was the company I mostly placed my faith on and the one that disappointed me on all occasions it had.

I dont agree its not that bad; I even did have genuine fun playing second part in California although first part was just too long at some parts. Numenara on the other hand was :betrayed: +M

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane

I dont agree its not that bad; I even did have genuine fun playing second part in California although first part was just too long at some parts. Numenara on the other hand was :betrayed: +M

campaign_wasteland2.png

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
More like the best "zapping people on a puddle" simulator

Now you might want to rate me edgy, but that environmental gameplay is what makes Div: OS's magic system very intuitive compared to other combat heavy RPG, it might even be the most intuitive turn-based tactics game I've played since chess, and it also gives a unique feel not found on any other RPGs I have played.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
It had good combat and music.
Climate, story and generall fairytale style/cartoonishim were incredibly annoying.
I wish they've made it even slightly more serious.
Nope, Shadowrun Dragonfall is better, offers the most tight and balanced experience. It's such a well designed game which does not waste your time with frivolous dialogue, cutscenes, voice overs, trash fights or annoying inventory management. Out of the recent games, it is my favorite.

Underrail is a close second; unfortunately I played DC pre-patching and that still stings; a blotch on an otherwise excellent game.
Speaking of Underrail....when the fuck is this expansion coming out?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Wasteland 2 got outdone by the games coming after it. C&C was impressive at first, but then AoD blew it out of the water. Gameplay seemed hardcore at first (hard failures, jamming rates, dealing with radiation and lack of resources) but then Underrail blew it out of the water. Character system was passable at first, but now compared to Pillars 3.0 it's an utter fucking joke.

Still a fun and enjoyable game in the end though. I also give them extra points for finding the right balance between mature writing and goofy humor, something that Fallout 2 in particular failed to do.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Wasteland 2 got outdone by the games coming after it. C&C was impressive at first, but then AoD blew it out of the water. Gameplay seemed hardcore at first (hard failures, jamming rates, dealing with radiation and lack of resources) but then Underrail blew it out of the water. Character system was passable at first, but now compared to Pillars 3.0 it's an utter fucking joke.

It's almost like there is actual innovation in the genre!

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Depends on what you mean, but it's not the best in either the Kickstarted RPGs nor new RPGs in general. I'd say PoE 3.0 is the best of the first-wave kickstarted RPGs, it WAS D:OS, but PoE has improved a lot and WM2 is good (it's still not a good overall game, but we are dealing with very low hanging fruits here), while in general it's AoD = UnderRail since they are different and can't really be compared.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
PoE had better exploration and party building, and even, gasp, writing.

I've found D:OS and WL2 to be pretty much unplayable, however I finisehd T:ToN in one sitting, it was fun for a shit game, like watching a bad sci-fi movie.

gaussgunner

Arcane
Depends on what you mean, but it's not the best in either the Kickstarted RPGs nor new RPGs in general. I'd say PoE 3.0 is the best of the first-wave kickstarted RPGs, it WAS D:OS, but PoE has improved a lot and WM2 is good (it's still not a good overall game, but we are dealing with very low hanging fruits here), while in general it's AoD = UnderRail since they are different and can't really be compared.

PoE does have better writing, albeit far more of it than called for. RTwP combat is horrible though.

Dragonfall is the best new RPG for people who don't have time for RPGs anymore

Spot on :lol:

Yeah. 4 hours in, I'd say it's the first time I've played an RPG that actually respects my time. There are warning signs about having to do contract runs for extra cash. But I'm told it can be completed in ~24 hours which is about how long it took me to get tired of D:OS.

On the downside you can't electrocute exploskeletons in bloody puddles or magically drop boulders on enemies with a level 1 fighter. It's not lulzy like that.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
PoE does have better writing, albeit far more of it than called for. RTwP combat is horrible though.

The writing is shit in both, just in different ways. Mechanics-wise PoE, while clearly not given enough thought in general, is more logical and viably constructed than D:OS. D:OS is a patchwork of contradicting design choices which lead to nowhere, now plaguing the sequel as well.

PEACH

Arbiter
Underrail and AoD/Dungeon Rats have been the best recent RPGs in my eyes. Dragonfall gets some credit too considering how awful Shadowrun Returns was but it's still a ways away from being on par with the others.

As far as the big releases go none of them floored me so I guess Divinity wins by default despite really wanting to like PoE and W2.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dragonfall is the one that does most of the things it does right, but it also inherits some pretty retarded elements from the first game's engine. They tried to fix the engine's faults as best they could and the result is a great game, but it's still an engine made to run on mobiles, and it shows.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom