Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Divinity: Original Sin the best cRPG from the "new wave"?

Is Divinity: Original Sin the best cRPG from the "new wave"?

• Total voters

PEACH

Arbiter
PoE and Shadowrun are light years ahead of the D:OS. Saying that DOS is better because it have that sparkly combat system where you can't see anyone because everything is on fire covered in poison and in a electric could while frozen....is just amazing. Like saying Fallout4 is better rpg than ELEX because you can shoot better...

I don't think that's anyone's motivation for preferring D:OS' combat.

The combat is significantly better because it's neither XCOM-lite or RTwP and successfully iterates on TB combat in an interesting and fairly novel/nuanced way. I can't imagine thinking for a second that D:OS doesn't have the best combat of the three, even if you do hate the itemization or writing or atmosphere. One look at the mechanics or encounter design should clear that up in an instant. Not to mention that things like itemization or interactivity are hardly exemplary in PoE or (especially) Dragonfall either.

And really, Light years ahead? I guess I'll never understand storyfags. I like Dragonfall quite a bit but it does next to nothing exceptionally well other than narrative/atmosphere. In a videogame of all things that's not nearly enough in this comparison.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
PoE and Shadowrun are light years ahead of the D:OS. Saying that DOS is better because it have that sparkly combat system where you can't see anyone because everything is on fire covered in poison and in a electric could while frozen....is just amazing. Like saying Fallout4 is better rpg than ELEX because you can shoot better...

I don't think that's anyone's motivation for preferring D:OS' combat.

The combat is significantly better because it's neither XCOM-lite or RTwP and successfully iterates on TB combat in an interesting and fairly novel/nuanced way. I can't imagine thinking for a second that D:OS doesn't have the best combat of the three, even if you do hate the itemization or writing or atmosphere. One look at the mechanics or encounter design should clear that up in an instant. Not to mention that things like itemization or interactivity are hardly exemplary in PoE or (especially) Dragonfall either.

And really, Light years ahead? I guess I'll never understand storyfags. I like Dragonfall quite a bit but it does next to nothing exceptionally well other than narrative/atmosphere. In a videogame of all things that's not nearly enough in this comparison.
Well different people different tastes mate ;). Honestly i liked the DOS combat the least of them all. Saw nothing unique in it. I don't see what people like in it,just another turn based game.

gaussgunner

Arcane
The combat is significantly better because it's neither XCOM-lite or RTwP and successfully iterates on TB combat in an interesting and fairly novel/nuanced way. I can't imagine thinking for a second that D:OS doesn't have the best combat of the three

But it doesn't. Yes, TB is good, and the electrified blood puddles were lulzy the first time through act 1. But it's not grid-based, so you end up fretting about bullshit like "I want to go here to get out of that exploskeleton's blast range, but that uses 5.1 AP, so I'll move my mouse around looking for that sweet spot that only uses 5.0 AP so I have 3.0 AP left for my attack." Too simulationist.

Shadowrun's combat is the best because there's no splitting hairs. It's a proper game, like chess.

gaussgunner

Arcane
Exploskeletons. Cute, but it's too bad I'm not 5 again so I could truly appreciate this humor.

Anyone made a mod yet where they say Allahu Akbar?

PEACH

Arbiter
The combat is significantly better because it's neither XCOM-lite or RTwP and successfully iterates on TB combat in an interesting and fairly novel/nuanced way. I can't imagine thinking for a second that D:OS doesn't have the best combat of the three

But it doesn't. Yes, TB is good, and the electrified blood puddles were lulzy the first time through act 1. But it's not grid-based, so you end up fretting about bullshit like "I want to go here to get out of that exploskeleton's blast range, but that uses 5.1 AP, so I'll move my mouse around looking for that sweet spot that only uses 5.0 AP so I have 3.0 AP left for my attack." Too simulationist.

Shadowrun's combat is the best because there's no splitting hairs. It's a proper game, like chess.

That doesn't account for anything other than ease-of-use, and it doesn't elevate a mediocre and incredibly derivative system whatsoever. Corridors with convenient cover, waves of the same enemies ad nauseum with variations you can count on one hand, Mass Effect 2 tier character building & etc. are far worse design decisions and make for far worse combat in the long run. Trying to compare it to chess is ridiculous. were that the case then Enemy Unknown would be Go.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Then there are still miles better games, such as PoE and Shadowrun.
DoS did only 1 thing really well: the combat engine. Okay, the interactivity and the small details were also a nice touch, and graphics were pleasing to the eye. Cooperation aspect was a nice bonus for the people who care about that, I suppose.

But on the other hand itemization was utter shit and so was character development and balancing. And those things, the character development, growth, I consider quite essential in cRPGs. Plus the setting, atmosphere, story was simply... counter immersive. Rubbed me the wrong way... think it's the first game I've played that actively annoyed me with it's style.
Hey guys, DOS2 has great combat, interactivity and co-op but it has shit items so PoE and Shadowrun are better!

No but really, if the story and atmosphere are the strengths of PoE and Shadowrun as you say, they are still weaker than the combat engine and interactivity of DOS2. DOS2 did some things very well, notably, fun gameplay, which y'know, I consider quite essential in games. And I say this as a storyfag.

Not only that, but Larian did some things other RPGs haven't done before. Innovation man, you know about that? Infusing the genre with new concepts and mechanics, pushing it to new horizons, rather than reskinning the same game with a different story like Obsidian, Bioware, Bethesda, etc. do. That counts a whole lot more than any almost-generic story with a slight twist #65564.

I personally believe PoE and the Shadowrun games over D:OS overall, but it's a bit ridiculous to brush away D:OS's combat system as crap because it dared to try something different with its elemental interaction; nobody is seriously saying that D:OS is better than PoE since it had more shiny stuff, but because they prefer the feel of its combat system (I disagree with them, but that's an argument for another time). Personally, I think it didn't really make enough use of them and it felt a bit like a tacked-on gimmick at some points, which is damning since it was actually quite integral to the system's design.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Then there are still miles better games, such as PoE and Shadowrun.
DoS did only 1 thing really well: the combat engine. Okay, the interactivity and the small details were also a nice touch, and graphics were pleasing to the eye. Cooperation aspect was a nice bonus for the people who care about that, I suppose.

But on the other hand itemization was utter shit and so was character development and balancing. And those things, the character development, growth, I consider quite essential in cRPGs. Plus the setting, atmosphere, story was simply... counter immersive. Rubbed me the wrong way... think it's the first game I've played that actively annoyed me with it's style.
Hey guys, DOS2 has great combat, interactivity and co-op but it has shit items so PoE and Shadowrun are better!

No but really, if the story and atmosphere are the strengths of PoE and Shadowrun as you say, they are still weaker than the combat engine and interactivity of DOS2. DOS2 did some things very well, notably, fun gameplay, which y'know, I consider quite essential in games. And I say this as a storyfag.

Not only that, but Larian did some things other RPGs haven't done before. Innovation man, you know about that? Infusing the genre with new concepts and mechanics, pushing it to new horizons, rather than reskinning the same game with a different story like Obsidian, Bioware, Bethesda, etc. do. That counts a whole lot more than any almost-generic story with a slight twist #65564.

I personally believe PoE and the Shadowrun games over D:OS overall, but it's a bit ridiculous to brush away D:OS's combat system as crap because it dared to try something different with its elemental interaction; nobody is seriously saying that D:OS is better than PoE since it had more shiny stuff, but because they prefer the feel of its combat system (I disagree with them, but that's an argument for another time). Personally, I think it didn't really make enough use of them and it felt a bit like a tacked-on gimmick at some points, which is damning since it was actually quite integral to the system's design.
I don't hate DOS combat system at all,it is a turn based one after all. Just feel that it is overhyped a lot.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I don't hate DOS combat system at all,it is a turn based one after all. Just feel that it is overhyped a lot.

You certainly didn't make that sentiment very clear in the post I replied to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom