Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is EA pressuring Bioware to make KOTOR MMORPG?

Andhaira

Arcane
The founders of Bioware were doctors. We all know this.They decided to leave that august profession and do something they were really passionate about (and ouwld be 'fun'). I guess saving human lives and reducing suffering and misery didn't really do it for them, but hey.

Now doctors, even those who aren't that good make quite a bit of money. Especially in America. Also given the fact that USA welcomes immigrant doctors with open arms shows the demand for these people always overwhelms supply. SO basically what I mean is that the good doctors of bioware did not go into the crpg profession to make money.

Fast forward to today. We have the retardedness called Sonic the Hedgehog rpg. As if that wasn't enough (I still can't believ it wasn't an aprils fool joke by bioware...I mean really. I wish I had been around on the codex when news of that first came out.Would love to read that thread even today if I could find out) we now have KOTOR MMORPG.

Even an idiot knows there is no way to replicate a heavy crpg experiance in a MMORPG. The only reason Bioware would go into it is money. Blizzard has proven that finally, video game developers can make millions in profits.

The queston though remains: id EA pressure Bioware into doing this or did Bioware do it themselves? If its the latter, why the bloody hell did the good doctors enter the industry in the first place? They would make more money in their old profession.

Another thing: WHy did Bioware selel out to the original company anyway? It allowed EA to take them over indirectly by buying the parent company. Didn't they foresee it happening?

]

Sirus

Liturgist
who cares it'll probably world of warcraft with lightsabers anyway...... there's no way i'm paying 15 bucks a month for that crap....... not again!

doctor_kaz

Scholar
Bioware started this MMORPG long before EA bought them out. This MMO is arguably the main reason that EA bought them.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
SWTOR has been rumored to be in development since December 2005, long before Bioware joined Elevation Partners or EA, so yes, it was Bio's decision to make a MMO. Why? Because the doctors often stated that they'd find it interesting to enter the MMO market, and that many Bio folks are sincere SW fans. That's it. No myths and evil forces behind that decision.
Bio also has it's own management, PR and marjeting teams, so they don't need to be babysitted by big mother EA. In fact, Dragon Age is completely in Bio's hand, EA is "only" doing the distribution. No babysitting there.
And the worst thing that could happen to Bio (let's say some failures, which is unlikely) is that good ol' Riccitello would "set them free" into the wild, just like they did recently with Pandemic Brisbane.
From the looks of it, SWTOR is the only MMO that has the potential to compete with Wow, on the long run. I'm playing the first free 30 days, if it is good, I'll gladly pay my subscribtion for more.

LONG LIVE BIOWARE!!!

MetalCraze

Arcane
Bioware was never started by doctors. Only if by doctors you mean guys who just developed software for medlabs but never healed anyone.

Also EA isn't pressuring anyone. Bioware is more than eager to suck Riccitiello's cock. Besides why care? Bioware makes shit games anyway.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"SWTOR is the only MMO that has the potential to compete with Wow"

No.

And, BIO has always wanted to do a MMORPG. They've been talking about it for about a decade.

Worm King

Scholar
Lyric Suite said:
AndhairaX said:
The founders of Bioware were doctors.

wat

Probably doctors like Martin Luther King is a "doctor". I doubt that 2 doctors would throw away 10 years of university, considering also that it's probably impossible to go back in to the doctoring business after interval of years.

The doctors are hacks. They have enough money to eliminate world hunger and isntead of producing something truly creative, they persist with their get rich quick schemes. The game industry needs a Van Gogh; as of now even millionaires are only interested in WoW clone MMOGs.

Andhaira

Arcane
But I wonder how they will sove the Jedi flux probelm. One altenative could be to offer really sexy classes other than force users. But see the Jedi still have to be more powerful, like in the movies. Also, they should allow sith too.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The doctors are hacks. . They have enough money to eliminate world hunger"

L0LZ

Andhaira

Arcane
After the fiasco called SW galaxies they will be paying close attention to edi classes.

Though the ea, popularised by Bioware itself in the first (and best) KOTOR game does allow many jedi. but it will suck if EVERYONE and their mothers are jedi. Maybe a server limit on force users?

Also, once its launched all of us should join a single server (teh Codexian server) for some kick ass roleplaying.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
AndhairaX said:
Also, once its launched all of us should join a single server (teh Codexian server) for some kick ass larping.

No thanks.

Drakron

Arcane
AndhairaX said:
Though the ea, popularised by Bioware itself in the first (and best) KOTOR game does allow many jedi. but it will suck if EVERYONE and their mothers are jedi. Maybe a server limit on force users?

They wont, making a Star Wars MMO will always lead to the unsolvable Jedi issue were are two solutions ... make then available or not.

They already gone with the Jedi and Sith ...

Andhaira

Arcane
SWTOR has been rumored to be in development since December 2005, long before Bioware joined Elevation Partners or EA, so yes, it was Bio's decision to make a MMO. Why? Because the doctors often stated that they'd find it interesting to enter the MMO market, and that many Bio folks are sincere SW fans. That's it. No myths and evil forces behind that decision.
Bio also has it's own management, PR and marjeting teams, so they don't need to be babysitted by big mother EA. In fact, Dragon Age is completely in Bio's hand, EA is "only" doing the distribution. No babysitting there.
And the worst thing that could happen to Bio (let's say some failures, which is unlikely) is that good ol' Riccitello would "set them free" into the wild, just like they did recently with Pandemic Brisbane.
From the looks of it, SWTOR is the only MMO that has the potential to compete with Wow, on the long run. I'm playing the first free 30 days, if it is good, I'll gladly pay my subscribtion for more.

LONG LIVE BIOWARE!!!

Quoted for posterity. Once a day 1 fag always a day 1 fag. :smug:

Also, Volourn

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
And Morgoth is known to be a Day1 fag for years now, it's nothing new. Or am I mixing him up with someone else?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom