Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Is Fallout: New Vegas a worthy Fallout game?

Is Fallout: New Vegas a worthy Fallout game?

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Repulsive

i'm waiting for you to provide examples of the "immediate C&C" found in fo1 and fo2 that set those games so clearly above NV. we're all waiting.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Isn't that what we are all asking in our own lives - "Where's my C&C?"

kent_810x594.jpg

NeoKino

RPGCodex Ninja
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
The lore and story are up to snuff, but the game play and mechanics aren't which is just a shame. Lore and story are two important elements of a rpg but the most important element is the game play and the systems that accompany it. the thing is in New Vegas they are both shit, I know you can mod the game to fix a lot of it's problems in the Gameplay department but that doesn't change the fact that Vanilla NV is a piece of female dog turd covered in a bitter-sweet caramel chocolate coating.

It doesn't do it's FPS gameplay right. The guns feel like shit, the controls are sluggish and the AI doesn't seem to react or respond to the players interaction in the game world whatsoever. The rpg elements are butchered and limited because of its "Akshun" gameplay and lack meaningful impact to your character, heck you can roll a character with shit perks and stats but as long as you got a good gun your fine for the most part. It all ends up feeling lackluster, Obsidian tried though you can tell by how much effort they put compared to bethesda regarding the game world.

tl;dr Game is shit, but it tries.

Nekot put it best "I think New Vegas would be better if it wasn't a gamebryo game."

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
If he's asking that question, it's a damn fine one.

No it's not, Fallout 1's choice and consequence is vastly overrated.

From a historical perspective, it is a very good one, but from a modern perspective, New Vegas wipes the floor with it. And even from a historical perspective, New Vegas' C&C is very, very good.

Self-Ejected

Repulsive

Self-Ejected
Patron
If he's asking that question, it's a damn fine one.

No it's not, Fallout 1's choice and consequence is vastly overrated.

From a historical perspective, it is a very good one, but from a modern perspective, New Vegas wipes the floor with it. And even from a historical perspective, New Vegas' C&C is very, very good.

Yet only one or two choices in the entire game have an effect on how it plays out, game is a mediocre open world FPS.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Given that you start the game with choices changing quest outcomes and faction allegiances at Goodsprings, the prison thing, and the rocket area, it sounds like you have a completely arbitrary standard that passes what FO1 does as 'choice' and what FNV does as 'not choice'. Meh.

Yeah, be a douchebag or don't be a douchebag, nothing inbetween, my experience with the 'role playing' of NV.

How is it any different from Fallout 1? What would count for "inbetween"?

There's a lot of examples especially in FO 2, FO 1 was a more straight forward game that warranted multiple playthroughs with differing class builds having a drastic effect on how your game played out and the options available. New Vegas lacked a feeling of having consequences to the choices you made, as I said the only real damn consequence I had in all of my playthroughs of Vegas was being tracked down by an NCR patrol randomly. The world New Vegas has lacks the immersion FO 1 and 2's worlds had by a vast margin. The writing was mediocre on average and entertaining at it's absolute best which was unfortunately rare. I played Vegas as a story driven action game and had most of my fun in the DLCs, those pretty much saved the game for me. I do intend on playing through it again actually thanks to this discussion, been years since I have and maybe will have a different opinion of it.

I can't really argue with you because you talk more about feel of the game, than anything concrete. Can you point to any examples of things C&C wise that F1 did and NW didn't?

It may have been as Pippin just said, sure there were missions which you could choose A or B but hardy any felt like it had any impact on the game at all whereas in Fallout 1 & 2 you notice them almost immediately. Fallout 1 had A or B (sometimes C and D) choices which branched into more choices to make from the choice you picked. Those are the reasons for the most part that I found Vegas to be mediocre as a role playing game, the writing and world weren't up to par for my taste for the most part, I got the most immersion out of aimlessly exploring rather than interactions with the NPCs which is vital in creating a proper Fallout game in my opinion. I really need to replay it though, been years.

But New Vegas had many quests with instant consequences. Goodsprings, Primm, Helios, Brotherhood of Steel questline. I mean immediate consequences in FO1 ammount to: character A is dead, faction A moves in a location where faction B used to be, player gets a different reward. All of these are featured in New Vegas. In fact C&C in new Vegas is much deeper because it features these "far reaching" consequences in addition to immediate ones.

Self-Ejected

Repulsive

Self-Ejected
Patron
Given that you start the game with choices changing quest outcomes and faction allegiances at Goodsprings, the prison thing, and the rocket area, it sounds like you have a completely arbitrary standard that passes what FO1 does as 'choice' and what FNV does as 'not choice'. Meh.

Yeah, be a douchebag or don't be a douchebag, nothing inbetween, my experience with the 'role playing' of NV.

How is it any different from Fallout 1? What would count for "inbetween"?

There's a lot of examples especially in FO 2, FO 1 was a more straight forward game that warranted multiple playthroughs with differing class builds having a drastic effect on how your game played out and the options available. New Vegas lacked a feeling of having consequences to the choices you made, as I said the only real damn consequence I had in all of my playthroughs of Vegas was being tracked down by an NCR patrol randomly. The world New Vegas has lacks the immersion FO 1 and 2's worlds had by a vast margin. The writing was mediocre on average and entertaining at it's absolute best which was unfortunately rare. I played Vegas as a story driven action game and had most of my fun in the DLCs, those pretty much saved the game for me. I do intend on playing through it again actually thanks to this discussion, been years since I have and maybe will have a different opinion of it.

I can't really argue with you because you talk more about feel of the game, than anything concrete. Can you point to any examples of things C&C wise that F1 did and NW didn't?

It may have been as Pippin just said, sure there were missions which you could choose A or B but hardy any felt like it had any impact on the game at all whereas in Fallout 1 & 2 you notice them almost immediately. Fallout 1 had A or B (sometimes C and D) choices which branched into more choices to make from the choice you picked. Those are the reasons for the most part that I found Vegas to be mediocre as a role playing game, the writing and world weren't up to par for my taste for the most part, I got the most immersion out of aimlessly exploring rather than interactions with the NPCs which is vital in creating a proper Fallout game in my opinion. I really need to replay it though, been years.

But New Vegas had many quests with instant consequences. Goodsprings, Primm, Helios, Brotherhood of Steel questline. I mean immediate consequences in FO1 ammount to: character A is dead, faction A moves in a location where faction B used to be, player gets a different reward. All of these are featured in New Vegas. In fact C&C in new Vegas is much deeper because it features these "far reaching" consequences in addition to immediate ones.

Mediocre role playing game.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I agree with Endemic and also I think FO1 has less C&C in its sidequests than NV, favors the usage of certain skills while others are trap choices, which is less the case in NV. Combat in FO1 isn't particularly tough (from my today's perspective) either, but there is no comparing combat in the two games.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I think there's a pretty clear double standard in this thread when it comes to C&C and reactivity.

FO1 and FO2 have plenty of C&C that could be considered negligible, like seemingly major choices that only really change an ending slide regarding some location that you're probably never going to visit again. Especially FO1 does have a handful of major choices that can potentially affect the outcome of your playthrough, as well as having a systemic C&C element in place resulting from the time limit, but those are generally the exceptions rather than the rule, and a lot of the C&C is actually rather shallow if you take a look below the surface. Not every choice is all that impactful in New Vegas either, of course, as it inherits a lot of the flavor C&C of the originals, but arguably it deals with C&C on a much larger scope than either FO1 or FO2, having a much larger number of decisions to make overall with the faction system providing a systemic element for tracking down the player's choices throughout the game world. The game does have plenty of individual choices that may potentially cut you off from questlines or alter the ending of the game aside from having instantly obvious local effects, but often it's the cumulative effect of multiple smaller decisions that results in the most drastic consequences.

A rather good early example of New Vegas' C&C is the Goodsprings shootout right at the start. If you decide to side with the townspeople and fight the Powder Gangers, you will piss off the entire faction, meaning that they will shoot you on sight when you approach the correctional facility which they use as their base (unless you abuse the broken disguise system, but that's another story). With that one early choice you've basically locked yourself out of a quest chain, as well as closed off one route to solving a big side quest in Primm. However, it is possible to redeem this situation by improving your relationship with the Powder Gangers later on, but there are not many opportunities to do so, and you really have to go out of your way to patch things up with them. Alternatively you might start off as their friend and then piss them off later on, which could happen by accident or by double-crossing them and essentially wiping them out with the NCR. If this quest was done like in FO1, everything would've tied into that first choice: you either side with the Powder Gangers and become their friend, or you side against them and end up being their enemy for all eternity. It probably would've made it feel more impactful, permanently severing your ties to a faction like that with just a single choice, but it also would've been a much more simplistic way of doing C&C. New Vegas is more about combinations of choices, as there are often many different ways of reaching a specific outcome. Because of this the individual choices rarely have the same impact as the most memorable moments in FO1, but the C&C overall is actually more impressive in many ways.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
don't forget that even if you decide to become friendly with the powder gangers (and thus either side against Goodsprings or completely ignore them) the game still gives you opportunities to double-cross the powder gangerrs by saying you'll help them out and then ratting them out to the NCR for their eventual assault on the prison.

or you can double-cross the NCR by stealing the attack plans from them and giving them to the gangers. and all this shit is just from this 1 single quest.

Tigranes

Arcane
You can also side with Goodsprings and then sit out the actual pied-a-pied, letting you still stay on reasonable terms with the folk at the prison - and then you see how the single faction is tracked differently across its splinter groups, reflecting the lack of cohesion in what is a bunch of prisoner escapees gone bandit.

You can also warn the powder gangers of the assault, and then when the NCR smash the fence and break in, put on some NCR armour and walk out, though I think this is / used to be slightly bugged.

sullynathan

Arcane
New Vegas has very good quests and C&C but the overall gameplay is pretty bad. A remake or proper successor is overdue.

Self-Ejected

Repulsive

Self-Ejected
Patron
Game was mediocre at best, just admit it, that was when RPGs were deemed a thing of the past and anything remotely decent in that regard got way more praise than it deserved.

sullynathan

Arcane
New Vegas has very good quests and C&C but the overall gameplay is pretty bad. A remake or proper successor is overdue.

The gameplay is pretty bad?

The gameplay is fucking shit.
isn't that the same thing?

Game was mediocre at best, just admit it, that was when RPGs were deemed a thing of the past and anything remotely decent in that regard got way more praise than it deserved.
it's a good rpg, but by codex definitions, good rpgs don't really need good gameplay. Who can blame Obsidian? They were stuck with Gamebryo, but then again, I don't really know an obsidian game with good gameplay.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
there is no codex definition, tho. codex has been arguing about what is an RPG for almost 15 years and will continue to do so until the end of time.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
it's a good rpg, but by codex definitions, good rpgs don't really need good gameplay.

edit: actually nvm ur rite because most people on the codex are cretins

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If we take RPG to be a quality of the game and not the game itself, I'd say the more C&C it has, the more RPG it is.

Note that I'm not saying by any means FO1 is bad, or that it lacks C&C. Also, I think adding the time pressure is a genius feature, and it alone offers more immersion and incentive to roleplay than any hiking sim could ever give you.

I think the biggest strength of FO1 is in its tight size, replayability and the coherence that goes with those two, also due to the fact that the team was very small and clearly didn't see working on the game as a job. There are enough historical accounts on its dev process.

However, if we forget about the 3D shooter combat in NV, I think improves on the FO formula which I would define as - distinct atmosphere, C&C, a post-apoc world and characters the player can believe in.

Those that are against the goofy humor and the cheerful music - I'd say the former is more toned down in NV compared to FO2. But I also think the more serious tone would be more appropriate for the isometric games than for the Gamebryo game. The engine is so old and shitty that it just prevents a game from taking itself completely seriously, so better try to make it all look at least part intentional.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Yet only one or two choices in the entire game have an effect on how it plays out, game is a mediocre open world FPS.

How can you be so baka, senpai?

The way your nostalgia goggles work, it would seem that saving or killing Killian has a profound effect in Fallout. I tell you what effect it has: if you kill Killian, you lose a vendor in Junktown. That's literally it. That's as much of a consequence as you see in-game, slideshows aside.

I'm not saying that liking Fallout makes you a nostalgia fag, but shitting on New Vegas the way you do makes it seem like Fallout is the Holy Timeless Grail of Choice and Consequence. As another user has said, Fallout's choice and consequence generally boils down to "character A is dead or character B is dead".

As stupid as it sounds, at least a character in Camp McCarran acknowledges someone (read: me) wiped out the entirety of the NCR forces stationed at Forlorn Hope, meaning that getting rid of the Fiend leaders is a good thing, but now he has a surplus of forces that has no real use anymore (because the Legion has occupied the camp).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom