Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Retardo? Final Fantasy XIV, at least the soundtrack is enjoyable

final

• Total voters

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Finally got to Heavensward. Took me between 3 and 4 days to get to lvl 50, the old level cap, and it took me another 3-4 days just to do all the quests to finally get into the expansion. \o/. But man oh man is it amazing. Surprised to say that I gave the story a chance and stopped skipping dialogue and I'm glad that I did so. It actually picked up and became really interesting toward the end of the vanilla game and I hear that it only gets better from here.

Are the primals now doable with PU groups? Titan used to be kind of a roadblock and Leviathan too.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Finally got to Heavensward. Took me between 3 and 4 days to get to lvl 50, the old level cap, and it took me another 3-4 days just to do all the quests to finally get into the expansion. \o/. But man oh man is it amazing. Surprised to say that I gave the story a chance and stopped skipping dialogue and I'm glad that I did so. It actually picked up and became really interesting toward the end of the vanilla game and I hear that it only gets better from here.

Are the primals now doable with PU groups? Titan used to be kind of a roadblock and Leviathan too.

Old Hard Mode primals are easily doable. The game now gives free ilvl 110 gear via the quests leading up to Heavensward. Haven't touched the Ex Primals yet since there is no reason to anymore other than for shits and giggles. I hear that the new ex Primals are pretty difficult with pugs.

9VjzFDo.jpg

Just took my first step off the airship into the first leveling zone in Heavensward. It's a fun looking set of flying islands high up in the clouds.

XWYmEe3.jpg

And, yes. That's a player off in the distance, flying on his Chocobo. lol.

Last edited:

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
I have a factory sealed FFXIV: A Realm Reborn CE for PC. I bought it for 50-60€ when it was new. Any chance for profit at some point? I can wait even years if needed.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
everybody seems to be quite positive about the game?

anybody playing it who could give a brief run-down of the goods?

• Lots of Shit To Do (That isn't always combat related)
    • Chocobo Breeding / Racing (Similar to FF7 But WAY more depth)
    • Guild Houses where you can furnish things
    • Airship Building that allows your entire guild to travel on one airship (I think? )
    • Lot's of ways to level, Dungeons / Bounties / Guildfests / Quests
    • Companion Training (Chocobo)
    • Etc
  • Indepth classes that conjunction well with other classes
  • Indepth Main plot
  • Tons of Crafting /Gathering Classes that require more the "Gather X Node" and actually matter in the economy of the game

• Grindy as all hell
    • This can be a good thing because the game has a longer tail and you have real goals you want to set out and get
    • This can be a bad thing if your a sperg master who doesn't know how to get off the fucking game after 4 hours and need every top tier item within a week to be happy.

Is it the best MMO out there right now? I would say yes. Is it still an MMO though? Yea.. so keep your expectations low.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The only big minus I'd give FF14 is that it's fucking impossible to level your first classes (if you start with a new character) with your friends because you keep having to run around in different parts of the world doing your own shit. It's a very solitary experience until you hit max level and are done with the Story quests.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Game has the best pve group content out of any mmorpg out there, it's well balanced, accessible, easy to find others to play with and the community is quite good.

On the other hand, the story missions, writing, dialogue, is shit and much worse than what you can find in both swtor and the secret world.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
That it's time we started our kickstarter scam featuring Chris Avellone and iOS integration stretch goals?

Stokowski

Arcane
It's kind of unfair to compare the writing in any current title to The Secret World. That's in a class of its own.

(Caveat: I've not played SWTOR)

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
It's kind of unfair to compare the writing in any current title to The Secret World. That's in a class of its own.

(Caveat: I've not played SWTOR)

You haven't missed anything. Even though media fellated Bioware's writing in TOR it's really, really mediocre with some inspired highlights here and there while TSW blows it out of the water at its own game and barely anyone, except players who experienced both games, even took notice. Not to mention voice acting which demolishes Bioware's "lets use accents and call it a day".

J1M

Arcane
Tried out this snooze fest. I'm not understanding the source of the praise. Pretty much all of the first 18 levels was the same, there was absolutely zero challenge, combat looks like a fireworks factory exploding (even though I am an archer), and the dungeon I tried was nothing special.

Based on what was shown to me, this game is 100% a re-skin of WoW. If there is a completely different, actually fun, game at max level they really need to offer a way to sample that or skip to it.

EDIT: Perhaps the most disappointing part of the game was the class quests I did for the Archer. The quest text builds up these quests as being difficult challenges that will require stealth and patience, explicitly stating that the targets you need to shoot are both somewhat hidden and located in areas full of dangerous monsters. The text even implies that you will be judged and fail if you do not evade these creatures.

The targets were not difficult to find, and located almost exclusively in areas with non-hostile creatures. :decline:

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Tried out this snooze fest. I'm not understanding the source of the praise. Pretty much all of the first 18 levels was the same, there was absolutely zero challenge, combat looks like a fireworks factory exploding (even though I am an archer), and the dungeon I tried was nothing special.

Based on what was shown to me, this game is 100% a re-skin of WoW. If there is a completely different, actually fun, game at max level they really need to offer a way to sample that or skip to it.

EDIT: Perhaps the most disappointing part of the game was the class quests I did for the Archer. The quest text builds up these quests as being difficult challenges that will require stealth and patience, explicitly stating that the targets you need to shoot are both somewhat hidden and located in areas full of dangerous monsters. The text even implies that you will be judged and fail if you do not evade these creatures.

The targets were not difficult to find, and located almost exclusively in areas with non-hostile creatures. :decline:

It has the best dungeon experience in an mmo tho, the group finder is really awesome, the community is nice, the dungeons and raids are the big pull of the game.

Zetor

Arcane

I think I posted similar things a few times on the previous page. All I can say is: it's a good thing you aren't playing a Conjurer instead!

The strength of the game is in the vast amount of group content (and the group finder is pretty much best-in-the-industry, for what it's worth). Most of it is gated beyond hours and hours of story quests and stuff, though.

J1M

Arcane
It has the best dungeon experience in an mmo tho, the group finder is really awesome, the community is nice, the dungeons and raids are the big pull of the game.
Can you elaborate on why you like the dungeon experience? How is the group finder improved over WoW? Without specifics, this looks like fanboyism.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Can you elaborate on why you like the dungeon experience? How is the group finder improved over WoW? Without specifics, this looks like fanboyism.

The group finder is fast, easy to use, very clear on what roles you can or cannot play, is used not only for dungeons but also for group quests, its awesome.

Zetor

Arcane
Going to c/p this from my guild forums...

The ffxiv dungeon finder has strong incentives for endgame players to participate in ALL content from the simplest level 10 training dungeon (guildhest) to the high-end endgame dungeons in a way that's useful for them, and a bunch of features that make sure the queues are popping at a decent pace all day. I have yet to encounter a really terrible group, though that's neither here nor there. Basically these features set it apart from other implementations:
  • "short supply bonus" from WOW: if there aren't many tanks or healers queuing, you get extra xp/gold/marks
  • "daily bonus" from WOW: extra bonuses the first time you do a random dungeon in a day
  • smooth level scaling from RIFT (even if you queue for a level 14 dungeon in uber gear, it won't be a pushover) as well as equipment sidekicking for higher-level dungeons (so even if you're undergeared you won't be screwed)... yeah yeah I know the codex doesn't scale to your level, but in MMO group content it's kinda necessary to provide a decent challenge.
  • a player commendation system (vote for your favorite person at the end of the run... commendations unlock achievements with cosmetic rewards, so it pays to play nice)
  • the kicker: extra rewards given to everyone at the end of a run if a player hasn't done the dungeon yet. IMO this is a genius solution that turns a noob in a pug from an annoyance into an asset -- I'm really surprised no other MMO has tried to include something like this into their dungeon finder.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
That's a very good summary of the system, really. Also, dinged 60 with my PLD today. Tanking is so much fun in this game!

yeye

Augur
There's also the party finder, which is like a server-wide noticeboard where you can post up a party for anything you wanna do in the game and have people join you without having to spam up general chats in various zones. It's very useful to find groups for old stuff no one queues for anymore and the newest content that's going to be hard to do in the duty finder.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
There's also the party finder, which is like a server-wide noticeboard where you can post up a party for anything you wanna do in the game and have people join you without having to spam up general chats in various zones. It's very useful to find groups for old stuff no one queues for anymore and the newest content that's going to be hard to do in the duty finder.

Also known as the "One death = kick" boards ;)

yeye

Augur
It's more like 'one wipe = disband' boards. But I've used it with some success recently to learn Ravana EX.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
butthurt losers like this are everywhere. I love the party finder for finding and making FATE groups though. It's just so good for that kinda stuff.

Yes, wasn't really serious. In general, the community is pretty ok.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Yes, wasn't really serious. In general, the community is pretty ok.

Serious or not, I've had to deal with lots of groups like that. I can't understand these people who give up after a few tries, let alone one try. It's crazy! Luckily my first group I got for Alex 1 was very good. I mean we wiped 2 times, but no one gave up and on the 3rd time we got it.

butchy

Prospernaut
This game is awful. It is like wow, but with a huge grind, and confusing cut scenes filled with blinking. Awful. I honestly don't know how or why people like it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom