Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Gods the best platform game? DISCUSS!

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I think the platform game Cleve wanted to make was a clone of Gods by Bitmap Brothers. I also think it was one of the best platform games ever made.

5kfw.png

45zi.png

9p4y.png

Mortmal

Arcane
I think the platform game Cleve wanted to make was a clone of Gods by Bitmap Brothers. I also think it was one of the best platform games ever made.

5kfw.png

45zi.png

9p4y.png

Indeed would have brofisted twice if i could . That was one phenomenal amiga game , rivaling super nes games.

Pantalones

Prospernaut

I'd settle for straight up clone of Altered Beast. Simple but almost perfect.

MisterStone

Arcane

5kfw.png

45zi.png

9p4y.png

Indeed would have brofisted twice if i could . That was one phenomenal amiga game , rivaling super nes games.

Hell yes, this game was fuckin' boss. Shadow of the Beast 1+2 had the eye candy, but the gameplay actually sucked, and Beast 2 was so ridiculously impossible to win (even w/ immortality cheat codes) that I doubt anyone did so legitimately.

The only other platformer game I can think of that was on a similar level as this was The Killing Game Show, which was very different but also hella-awesome.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

5kfw.png

45zi.png

9p4y.png

I loved this game in the depths of my being the way I loved Wizardry 6 & 7.

I was rendering some suitable 2D characters for my barbarian/altered beast/mythical legend game a couple months back but dropped it when I got stuck full bore into finishing Grimoire. I still have them halfway done and will get back to it. I discovered if you render very high quality models with good lighting and shaders into 2D cel frames you can almost simulate the incredible artwork by the bitmap brothers. I did walking and sword fighting frames of this barbarian guy with a ponytail but I am still looking for a helmet to put on him that looks as cool and Greek-mythology as GODS protagonist.

Will get onto this as soon as I finish Grimoire. (Sets up snappy effeminate sarcastic remark by usual tranny detractors on Codex, never gets old)

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Just like Mass Effect 3 and Fallout 3 are one of the best RPGs ever made

The other kind of genius is nothing like that, more like the opposite, and is found in mediterranean countries like Italy and in middle east countries. They have high social intelligence and language ability.
How is having a high "social intelligence" being genius? That would make every extroverted slut that spends her Friday nights getting wasted and picking up men in bars a genius. The whole concept of social intelligence is retarded. It's like saying that Bioshock Infinite is well designed just like System Shock 2 is, because Bioshock Infinite is more easily approachable as casuals can play it too.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Your excellent point and eloquence of speech totally convinced me. Thanks OhGreatOne...
I don't have to write 3 A4s of text to discredit your statement because it's pretty much common knowledge to any one who has played platformers and knows anything about game design that Gods is no where near one of the best platformers of all time. Just like I don't have to explain myself every time I bash Mass Effect/Fallout 3/Oblivion/Skyrim. Granted this is a CRPG forum and not a general video game forum, but I think it's still fair to expect that people have a rudimentary understanding of other genres too. If you were a toddler or a middle aged person who has hardly ever played video games, I'd elaborate more on why that statement is incorrect, but it's not needed in this context.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Your excellent point and eloquence of speech totally convinced me. Thanks OhGreatOne...
I don't have to write 3 A4s of text to discredit your statement because it's pretty much common knowledge to any one who has played platformers and knows anything about game design that Gods is no where near one of the best platformers of all time. Just like I don't have to explain myself every time I bash Mass Effect/Fallout 3/Oblivion/Skyrim. Granted this is a CRPG forum and not a general video game forum, but I think it's still fair to expect that people have a rudimentary understanding of other genres too. If you were a toddler or a middle aged person who has hardly ever played video games, I'd elaborate more on why that statement is incorrect, but it's not needed in this context.

Okay, let's assume that I am a middle aged person who has hardly ever played platform games, at least in the last 20 years.

Gods had a unique atmosphere, excellent graphics and good user control - though it may have been a bit on the short side.

So what do you consider to be the best platformers of all time, if Gods is not even close to those awesome games?

Pantalones

Prospernaut

Okay, let's assume that I am a middle aged person who has hardly ever played platform games, at least in the last 20 years.

Gods had a unique atmosphere, excellent graphics and good user control - though it may have been a bit on the short side.

So what do you consider to be the best platformers of all time, if Gods is not even close to those awesome games?

You would probably get a completely crazy answer from anyone who is hardcore platformer. Gods is already a little too complicated and gimmicky for me, which mostly doesn't add to the game.

Altered Beast is probably the best platformer made as far as quality in a simple package goes. Elevator action is great, too. So are games like defender if you let that count.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Gods had a unique atmosphere, excellent graphics and good user control - though it may have been a bit on the short side
Yet no word about the actual game design. Gods is a mediocre Europlatformer. It has fairly sluggish movement and jump arc. It's not a bad game, but it does nothing to distinguish itself as one of the best of it's kind. It's not an extremely well designed game. It's not an extremely innovative game. It's not a staple/landmark title of the genre. It's not even a hidden gem (well, you might consider it that, but there are tons of hidden gem platformers more worthy of that title). It does have some nice features like the AI. It has nice graphics, but design is more important and less subjective.

If you don't understand platformer game design, then I suggest watching Egoraptor's Sequelitis videos on Castlevania and Mega Man X as an introduction to what kind of level design, use of mechanics and enemy placement make a good platformer.

It's one of the better platformers on Amiga (though there might be some obscure hidden games I'm not aware of) and got ported to many platforms, but it's far from being even in the top 5 or top 10 of the 16-bit console generation (including Amiga, Atari ST and PC games of that time), let alone of all time.
Couple of titles like PoP and Impossible Mission are here for historical significance. Super Mario Bros 3 is in every way better than the first, but the first game is far more important for the genre. In fact it's the most important game for the genre (and one of the most important games of all time).

1st tier
Super Mario Bros 3, Mega Man 2, Mega Man X, Klonoa: Door to Phantomile, Rocket Knight Adventures, Rayman Origins, Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, Super Castlevania IV, Donkey Kong Country 2, Super Meat Boy, Sonic the Hedgehog 1-3&K/CD (choosing which out of the 4 is the best designed is quite hard, 1/2 feel more tighly designed but CD&3 and knuckles have more polish, variety and content)
2nd tier
Mega Man 3/7/9, Klonoa 2, Bucky O Hare, Ninja Gaiden, Turrican 2, VVVVVVV, Sonic Generations, Super Mario Bros 1, Super Mario World 1&2, Castlevania 1&3, Castelvania: Symphony of the Night, Klonoa 2, Mischief Makers
Platformers that have influences from other genres/aren't strictly traditional side scrollers
Another World, Strider, Super Metroid, Tomba, Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus, Prince Persia, Impossible mission, LittleBigPlanet etc. And then there's 3D platformers (Super Mario 64&Galaxy, Crash Bandicoot 1&3, Jumping Flash etc)

And then there's tons of games that didn't really innovate or do anything new with the genre, but were good/great like Astal, Aladdin, Ducktales and so on.

Ask some one who knows more about platformers than I do and has digged deeper into the game libraries of PC Engine, (S)NES and other platforms than I have and you'll get a bigger list

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
1st tier
Super Mario Bros 3, Mega Man 2, Mega Man X, Klonoa: Door to Phantomile, Rocket Knight Adventures, Rayman Origins, Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, Super Castlevania IV, Donkey Kong Country 2, Super Meat Boy, Sonic the Hedgehog 1-3&K/CD (choosing which out of the 4 is the best designed is quite hard, 1/2 feel more tighly designed but CD&3 and knuckles have more polish, variety and content)

Okay, I actually agree about Super Mario 3 for the NES being the best platformer. However, what about games that are not designed specifically for kids? I guess platform games are usually not something for adults, but a game like Gods is something I would still prefer over Mega Man or Donkey Kong.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Elevator action is great, too. So are games like defender if you let that count.

I have a little proof of concept for an Elevator Action clone running in Unity right now. I rendered the sprites from an Inspector Clouseau look-a-like for the protagonist and these men in black types for the agents trying to get him. Another one of those things I got running and then thought, I should really be working on Grimoire right now.

Pantalones

Prospernaut
Elevator action is great, too. So are games like defender if you let that count.

I have a little proof of concept for an Elevator Action clone running in Unity right now. I rendered the sprites from an Inspector Clouseau look-a-like for the protagonist and these men in black types for the agents trying to get him. Another one of those things I got running and then thought, I should really be working on Grimoire right now.

If you can get the feel of it right, I'd like that almost as much as Grimoire!

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Okay, I actually agree about Super Mario 3 for the NES being the best platformer. However, what about games that are not designed specifically for kids? I guess platform games are usually not something for adults, but a game like Gods is something I would still prefer over Mega Man or Donkey Kong.
What does it matter whether a game is designed for kids or not? The quality of level design, depth of mechanics and challenge is what matters most. Kids games in the 80s and 90s were just as challenging if not more challenging than adults games, so it boils down to graphics whoredom. "Ok, I can understand that Grimoire is superior to Fallout 3 in every way. But it's colorful and not grimdark (or grimgray to be more exact) like Fallout 3 so it's for kids, I'm a mawnn"
If the gameplay is poorly designed, uninspired and unchallenging, what good will the graphics do for you? Klonoa is one of the most cutsey, kiddy looking games I can think of and it has some of the best, most memorable design in platformers to date.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSDFwxTxPTw&t=6m55s

Mega Man 7 and 8 definitely look more cartoony, but Mega Man 2/X/9 aren't significantly more kiddy looking than Gods. And as a game Gods isn't even in the same universe as Mega Man 9 when we talk about challenge, depth and excellent level design in platformers. Even in the original 8-bit Mega Man games it's quite impressive how the boss AI will adapt their patterns to your fighting style/weapon use. And the first Donkey Kong Country game actually has the most realistic graphics out of the bunch thanks to it's silicone graphics style pre-rendered backgrounds

Last edited:

made

Arcane
Ah, Gods. *puffs on pipe* My second favorite Bitmap Bros game after Cadaver.
I liked the focus on puzzles and exploration (levels were huge iirc), but the controls were quite clunky which lead to many frustrating deaths. Might work better now on an emulator and a pad.

SoupNazi

I'd settle for straight up clone of Altered Beast. Simple but almost perfect.

One of the first games I have played, p. fun

Was copied on this Chinese platform that was sold here in the Czech Republic in the 90s. Basically, they changed the graphics palette (so the bear "morph" was bright green, for example) and I think some of the sprites were different. No "movies" inbetween levels or on morphing into the animal, either. Was a lot of fun back then but now that I watch the video it seems very boring.

Angthoron

Arcane
Oh man, I was just thinking about this game the other day and realized I forgot the name.

:bro: to the OP.

Destroid

Arcane
The gameplay looks pretty crap, but I really like the fantasy style of this one:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom