Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Gods the best platform game? DISCUSS!

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Not that well versed in the genre but for what it's worth my favourite platformer is Captain Claw:

It's one of those games that I like everything about, level design, gameplay (both platforming part and fighting different enemy types), setting and graphics.

Gods was a very interesting looking game (like all Bitmap Brothers games) but gameplay felt sluggish (too slow and controls not responsive enough) and for a platformer especially that's a pretty big issue.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
You spend your whole time jumping around on platforms with the trigger held down. It's a platformer, and there is virtually no such thing as 'pure' platformer which would be completely boring and lame. Even mario games do not qualify as pure.
Your wikipedia quotations don't mean shit, people constantly argue about what's a RPG, even when talking about games like GTA San Andreas, Diablo and Bastion, where as no one who has played through a Mega Man game with out cheating atleast once in their life has any trouble determining whether a game is a pure platformer or not. You can make the same claim for RPGs, it's not a pure genre because it frequently borrows elements from adventure, strategy and action games (and vice versa).
It is not a pure genre; it is frequently coupled with elements of other genres, such as the FPS elements in System Shock 2, the adventure elements of Quest for Glory, or the strategy elements of Jagged Alliance 2.

there is virtually no such thing as 'pure' platformer which would be completely boring and lame.
Yes there is, and it's called Super Meat Boy. It's the hardest game released in the last 15-20 years that had any kind of mainstream success. You'd know this if you knew anything about the subject you claim to know about, because every one who knows anything about platformers has played that game. It's definitely not "boring and lame", unless you feel aversion towards video games that are actually challenging and require perfect precision from the player and the ability to learn from their mistakes.

Maelflux

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Another one of those things I got running and then thought, I should really be working on Grimoire right now.

Just do whatever you feel like, Steve. Nobody, except for a handful of fairly retarded people, seems to take you seriously anymore anyways. :)

HAR! Funny stuff, 88 posts.

The next generation is secure with rocket scientists like yourself leading the charge forward.

You do realize, that we would probably have about the same amount of posts, if we removed all yours with Grimoire "bug fixing done" as well as bogus Grimoire dates?! +M

In a sense it is a bit sad, as I actually joined this forum originally when I found the topics about Grimoire, and was greatly amused by your IGG pitch, as well the the threads here. But after a year and a half here, I admit I got discouraged like the rest.

PS: Was your best comeback seriously a low-post quip?? :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom