Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is it me getting older and jaded or Half-Life 2 is one of the worst shooters?

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
The strider battle with sticky bombs at the end of Episode 2 is probably the single worst design choice in the whole Half-Life franchise.

I mean, WOW, did any of the playtesters actually enjoy that level.

catfood

AGAIN
Speaking of playtesters...

upMfmqf.jpg

HansDampf

Arcane
Speaking of playtesters...

upMfmqf.jpg

Valve games in a nutshell. They took this approach to the extreme in Portal 2. Can't have anyone get stuck on a puzzle for more than 10 seconds.

maxresdefault.jpg

We needed a puzzle that would demonstrate the different effects that the fizzler has on the game. This map was consistently the one that most of our playtesters would get stuck on and we tried various things to make the puzzle easier to understand. Originally this room had 2 fizzlers in it and was divided up into three distinct areas. This proved to be too complicated and almost none of our playtesters could solve the puzzle. We removed the second fizzler and simplified the layout of the room quite a bit but most of our playtesters were still getting stuck on it. We identified the problem to be the space above the fizzler. Originally this space was completely open, but that didn’t effectively convey to the players that they needed to shoot a portal above the fizzler. We then tried putting glass with several holes in it above the fizzler. This was slightly more effective as players would know that the holes are there for a purpose and would try to solve the puzzle by shooting portals through the holes. The map was still not testing well though, as players could not figure out which side of the fizzler they needed to be on when they shot their portals. We then changed it to have only a single hole through the glass, moved down to the eye level of the player, so that shooting the portal from either side of the fizzler would be a valid solution. This change tested really well and we started seeing most of our playtesters make it through the level without getting stuck on it for a long time.
— Tejeev Kohli

tl;dr
They changed the puzzle until it solved itself.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected

Leitz

Learned
I played through HL 2+episodes 1 or 2 years ago for the first time since 2009 or something. I tried to get all the steam achievements and damn it was fun. And even though I doubted it, after I had replayed the whole thing I'd admit to myself how good it felt. It's just such a quirky mixture of stuff.
BTW there is no competition with Half Life 1 of course!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom