Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is it possible for me to develop some love for turn-based games?

Sloul

Savant
I think you just picked gimpy old games that aren't fun and most of the replies are no good because they are not good for beginners. Get Divinity Original Sin, and Blackguards. Play both on low difficulty. Enjoy tactical combat yet with a modern feel. If you like it, there are lots of other good tactical games you can get.
Gimpy old games? Warbanners was released on october 18.
Expeditions: Conquistador old?
The guy is asking for engaging per-turn games, the games I presented are like the best thing available on PC.
I am not saying that they are exclusively the best though, I probably forgot to mention some, and I certainly mentioned the ones that I played.

To read that a beginner needs to start with games that are ''easy''. What kind of misconception is that?
Did Mozart start by playing Britney Spears?
Did 7 years old french kings started to play chess with pokemon figurines? Dude?
Do young people start to play table-top D&D with special kiddy rules?
I just don't get it. My old gimpy games are just super fun, engaging, reactive, clever, with design in mind.
And just to clarify something MoM and MoO1-2 are indeed experimental in my list, i opened with a large variety of games that can satisfy his taste, while MoM and MoO1-2 might open his horizons.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
D:OS is a perfect starting point though because it combines good turn based combat with fancy graphics and an easy to learn UI etc.
It's not "easy" or "dumb" compared to Conquistadors or Warbanners of course

Efe

Erudite
invisible inc. its short so would be good as a toe dipper

Mark Richard

Arcane
I used to avoid pure turn-based games. Pondering my next move was interpreted as valuable time not being spent interacting with the game. Then in 2009 Blood Bowl released. The single player had a real-time option (oddly I'd consider using it heretical nowadays), but the multiplayer was strictly turn-based. You could say Blood Bowl had to present itself on my terms before I'd be willing to engage on its terms. The game converted me, and from then on I started digging up those turn-based gems I missed during the 90s.

This conversion method might be somewhat unique to Blood Bowl. Merely having the turn-based gameplay as an option on the multiplayer wouldn't inspire commitment, as given the choice most real-time players would likely stick to their comfort zone. It had to be mandatory. I couldn't name another game that pulls the same trick.

deama

Prophet
Could try toribash, it's a turn based fighting game, though now they got other activities.

Bantichai

Arcane
Developer
I do agree that your tastes in gaming change as you grow older and more cynical about the gaming industry as a whole after recovering from your gambling addiction that manifested in the form of lootboxes. I started off being purely interested in FPS shooters like rainbow six, played Morrowind got hooked on that for years and legit played it exclusively for a year. After that, never could find a game that captured the magic of Morrowind again, kept waiting for the AAA studios to put out something like that again, Oblivion didn't cut it, Skyrim didn't cut it. When I turned to fallout 3 I became interested in the lore which eventually led me to playing fallout 2.

I robbed a shopkeeper, when I killed him the animations blew me away, got hooked on a game decades old. That was the turning point, made me start scouring for more indie games. I went from being a basic FPS'er that hated turn based games and completely ignored the indie scene, to an addicted kid searching for nostalgia and to now a developer of an indie game and guess what, it's turned based. :hahano:

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Tastes will also change

Good taste is innate and permanent; you either have it or you don't.

If you like Fallout and Jagged Alliance 2, you have good taste. If you don't, you have bad taste (and are also a fucking idiot).

Good taste can't be developed. The best 90% of the Codex can do is pretend that they like truly great games (posing), so that they aren't written off and humiliated by the select few with genuinely good taste. Unfortunately for them, that doesn't work for long. You see, innate > learning. Eventually, the mask falls off and the ugliness and stupidity bares itself for all to see. Learning good taste is a far cry from having it. Again, you can't learn good taste any more than you can learn to be wise, intelligent, charismatic and beautiful, like me. Some people just have it, whereas others have to put on airs which are easily seen through by those who genuinely possess the greatest things this world has to give.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Lilura

"After experience had taught me that all the usual surroundings of social life are vain and futile; seeing that none of the objects of my fears contained in themselves anything either good or bad, except in so far as the mind is affected by them, I finally resolved to inquire whether there might be some real good having power to communicate itself, which would affect the mind singly, to the exclusion of all else: whether, in fact, there might be anything of which the discovery and attainment would enable me to enjoy continuous, supreme, and unending happiness...

...All these kinds of perception I will illustrate by examples. By hearsay I know the day of my birth, my parentage, and other matters about which I have never felt any doubt. By mere experience I know that I shall die, for this I can affirm from having seen that others like myself have died, though all did not live for the same period, or die by the same disease. I know by mere experience that oil has the property of feeding fire, and water of extinguishing it. In the same way I know that a dog is a barking animal, man a rational animal, and in fact nearly all the practical knowledge of life.

...We deduce one thing from another as follows: when we clearly perceive that we feel a certain body and no other, we thence clearly infer that the mind is united to the body, and that their union is the cause of the given sensation; but we cannot thence absolutely understand the nature of the sensation and the union...

But as men at first made use of the instruments supplied by nature to accomplish very easy pieces of workmanship, laboriously and imperfectly, and then, when these were finished, wrought other things more difficult with less labour and greater perfection; and so gradually mounted from the simplest operations to the making of tools, and from the making of tools to the making of more complex tools, and fresh feats of workmanship, till they arrived at making, complicated mechanisms which they now possess. So, in like manner, the intellect, by its native strength, makes for itself intellectual instruments, whereby it acquires strength for performing other intellectual operations, and from these operations again fresh instruments, or the power of pushing its investigations further, and thus gradually proceeds till it reaches the summit of wisdom.

...For instance, in the same way as we are unable, while we are thinking, to feign that we are thinking or not thinking, so, also, when we know the nature of body we cannot imagine an infinite fly; or, when we know the nature of the soul, [z] we cannot imagine it as square, though anything may be expressed verbally. But, as we said above, the less men know of nature the more easily can they coin fictitious ideas, such as trees speaking, men instantly changed into stones, or into fountains, ghosts appearing in mirrors, something issuing from nothing, even gods changed into beasts and men and infinite other absurdities of the same kind.

Some persons think, perhaps, that fiction is limited by fiction, and not by understanding; in other words, after I have formed some fictitious idea, and have affirmed of my own free will that it exists under a certain form in nature, I am thereby precluded from thinking of it under any other form.

...To take an example. Supposing that a man has never reflected, taught by experience or by any other means, that our senses sometimes deceive us, he will never doubt whether the sun be greater or less than it appears. Thus rustics are generally astonished when they hear that the sun is much larger than the earth. But from reflection on the deceitfulness of the senses doubt arises, and if, after doubting, we acquire a true knowledge of the senses, and how things at a distance are represented through their instrumentality, doubt is again removed.

...Lastly, let us also beware of another great cause of confusion, which prevents the understanding from reflecting on itself. (2) Sometimes, while making no distinction between the imagination and the intellect, we think that what we more readily imagine is clearer to us; and also we think that what we imagine we understand. Thus, we put first that which should be last: the true order of progression is reversed, and no legitimate conclusion is drawn."

- Spinoza, from his writings "On the Improvement of Understanding".

TL;DR I disagree with you about tastes being innate or inherent in whatever capacity. The human ability to reason, think, understand, and thus create doubt which is the seed of understanding is, at least according to Spinoza, "infinite".

Something as superfluous as "taste" has is of dubious quality when persons account themselves properly with exhaustive and expressive usage of all tools available to work and labor towards rationalism.

In any case "tastes" are good tools for preaching doubt in others. Where I would agree with you (although you didn't touch upon this specifically) is when the scenario involves two parties; one party of persons is objectively ignorant of topics (and thus filled with doubt) but is not only not interested in reasoning or understanding, the persons are interested only in transforming their own ignorance into a self-affirming parody of truth...

To steal my favorite dialog from Dostoyevsky's "Brothers Karamazov": (while the brother's Father is confessing his Sins in church the Priest muses) that in the Father's pathetic appropriation of his utter inability to to live in grace but rather having spent half his life or more becoming practised and skilled in everything a good man would avoid the Father character ruminates on these facts, on his life, and he tells the Priest that he can never change because he is this way and "less human" than others--

--the Priest thinks this is a Sin in the form of pride, and he hilariously (thinking ot himself) concludes that the Father's biggest flaw is the huge amount of pride he takes in being so "unique" in being so lost and dubs it "the Satanic Pride"... nothing to do with the devil, but with man. It's a simple and short scene early on but it sets the characterization for the brother's Father as if set in stone.

I couldn't really do it justice here paraphrasing it either.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
“I think thus of Satan's pride: it is difficult for us on earth to comprehend it, and therefore, how easy it is to fall into error and partake of it, thinking, moreover, that we are doing something great and beautiful.”

"There is only one salvation for you: take yourself up, and make yourself responsible for all the sins of men. For indeed it is so, my friend, and the moment you make yourself sincerely responsible for everything and everyone, you will see at once that it is really so, that it is you who are guilty on behalf of all and for all. Whereas by shifting your own laziness and powerlessness onto others, you will end by sharing in Satan's pride and murmuring against God."

"There are souls that in their narrowness blame the whole world. But overwhelm such a soul with mercy, give it love, and it will curse what it has done, for there are so many germs of good in it."

cowking

Scholar
Shadow Watch is one of my favorites. I must have played it through at least a dozen times.

I wouldn't recommend shadow watch to OP, last I played the animation speed was so slow I had to drop the game because of it.

Lios

Cipher
So, with that being said, is there hope for me? Is there anyone else here that had difficulties to enter in the turn based system but ultimately came to love it?

One solid way to appreciate turn-based is to start smoking.

*oh, and play Temple of Elemental evil with Co8.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i love weed and it makes me feel human, but i cannot play any games for shit on weed. I once went to a local tournament of SF/fighting games near me and I smoked up, super cool like the bad ass I am, and I lost 2-0 wa slaughingstock of the day I played like I had half my brain left and it was bitten by Zika .

I can't believe ppl who say weed ups their game, skills, whatever: weed makes me be in middle of a great street fighter match, and opponent will be winning cos I'm stoned, and I'll make the brilliant decision to do THREE SHORYIKENS in a row...

BEcause dude, obviously he'll block the first one, but he'll never expect me to do 2 more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom