Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is it time for a new Dark Sun game?

Klarion

Arcane
Is it time for someone to do this? So much time has passed since the last game and it would be cool to see a sequel/remake/reboot.

banni_re_dark_sun.jpg

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I hope not. Let it rest. Dark Sun setting already went to shit long before CRPGs did.

By the way, the original writer of the setting had kickstarted some new Dark Sun-inspired system-agnostic setting book that even had a concept prog album to go with it. What happened to that?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Honestly, it would be time for any game to come out to actually depict a PnP ruleset well with turn-based combat.

What was the last one of that? Temple Of Elemental Evil still (which is definitely worth a replay with Temple+ now). Or Knights Of The Chalice, if you want to count smaller indie games.

Keldryn

Arcane
I hope not. Let it rest. Dark Sun setting already went to shit long before CRPGs did.

One of the good things that they did with 4e D&D was revert Dark Sun mostly back to its original form, undoing the events of all of the novels except for the The Verdant Passage. So the sorcerer-king Kalak of Tyr has just been overthrown, but none of the other setting-altering nonsense from later books was incorporated. Would have been even better if they'd just gone all the way back and had Kalak as a potential foe for the PCs, but it was a refreshing surprise after what happened with the 4e Forgotten Realms.

Sure, the 4e version had to make some alterations to incorporate certain core elements of 4e (eladrin, dragonborn, etc), but I actually thought that (for once) these were generally improvements and didn't feel shoehorned in. Still couldn't stand 4e as a game mind you.

At any rate, yes, it's time for a new Dark Sun game. A non-bug-ridden one this time, please.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
What studio is out there that could realistically get the license and not screw it up?

TSI could easily I'm guessing. With WL2 (but excluding the console focus on Torment after lying to the backers) I would say InXile. I would much rather have some buck rogers remakes and see if anyone could possibly find a way to fit the skill system that had into 3.5 rules. That would be a robust system. And those are hands down the best GB games.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
By the way, the original writer of the setting had kickstarted some new Dark Sun-inspired system-agnostic setting book that even had a concept prog album to go with it. What happened to that?

Dragon Kings. I have the stuff from Kickstarter, but haven't read through them.

J1M

Arcane
Only time for Dark Sun if it is turn-based. 5e rules preferably.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom