Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance the best game ever made?

Tehdagah

Arcane
I only played the demo but the parry system is pretty broken. Still ok, I guess.

finally, you guys have exposed yourselves as japanese animu retard lovers for like this fucking piece of shit of a game. I watched my friend who loves MGS play it and it was probably the most retarded thing I've ever seen in a game. This game has it all - the shit jap pop rock, the shitty anime art design, the shitty over the top animations and combat, button mashing pseudo-game play on rails, a gimmick mechanic that's useless and shitty, the graphics are worse than MGS4, the acting is totally fucking insane and on top of all that, Raided is a gay cocksucker and I can't stand him.
No. It's just that Japanese developers make good action games and westerners don't. So if you want a good action game you gotta suck it up and deal with animu style unless you value art style and story over game play (coughstoryfag)
Japanese developers are so good at action games that they can't into camera placement.

It's almost like a rule. "Director-san, should we hire a camera designer"? "No, you fool"

DmC > DMC1

Fuck DMC1.

:prosper:

Brother, why do you hate such a good game?

If you really think that Bayo is harder than MG:R on Revegneance, then you need to learn how to hit "R" and how to use the moon shield (I forget the name).

I dunno, MGR isn't particularly difficult in any sort of way relative to the rest of the (sub)genre. Then again, discussing difficulty in these types of games is complex as there's many different ways to play.

-Clearing Non-Stop-Infinite-Climax in Bayonetta is probably a bit harder than Revengeance in MGR because Bayo's more powerful tools are trickier to properly utilize and/or still require some skill in execution. Most of Raiden's better combat tools don't exactly demand much in the way of skill. Ripper Mode, EM Grenades, RP Grenades, Tactical Sai, Armor Breaker, Pincer Blades...they're all extremely powerful and easy to use. Even Perfect Parries, for most enemy attacks, aren't terribly difficult for the tremendous amount of damage they deal on Revengeance difficulty.

All of this is assuming a fully-upgraded run, minus "cheat" gear (Fox Blade, Climax Bracelet, Rodin). I think Bayonetta would be a lot harder in a fresh run, as well. Raiden in Revengeance starts with Perfect Parries and will quickly pick up enough Grenades to power through to the R-03 boss fight, after which Ripper Mode and the Sai will demolish everything in the player's way. Contrast with Bayonetta, where the prologue will probably be a slog of a fight, having no access to Wicked Weaves against higher-tier angels, and Chapter 1's Joyous encounters will really test player's mastery of the core moveset (no Shuraba cheese) as well as Dodge Offset. The hardest part of a fresh Revengeance run is probably the final boss, seeing as his stats are hugely buffed, but his design mostly negates the Perfect Parry damage buff that allows Revengeance difficulty boss fights to be all but trivialized.

-Score runs in MGR and Bayo are both reset fests, with occasional spikes in Verse/Encounter difficulty. In MGR, spikes are the boss fights (and both the godawful gimpy Raiden section before R-03's boss and the turret section at the beginning of R-04) and in Bayonetta spikes in difficulty come in the form of bosses and Alfheims (and Isla del Sol...fuck that chapter). Many of the Alfheims are pretty difficult to complete with a Pure Platinum and even "regular" verses can have pretty stringent score requirements; often you'll have to play damn near perfectly to meet the Combo Points par, or equip the Gaze of Despair (enraging enemies, making them much more aggressive) to help meet Combo Point quotas with less-than-perfect play. In contrast, I found S-Ranking Revengeance, on a second runthrough, to be pretty simple...and I wasn't even abusing Ripper Mode or EM-effects for much of the run.

-Speedrunning is no-contest, Bayonetta is far more skill intensive because of the much higher emphasis on navigating in the gameworld and making use of Bayo/Jeanne's movement techniques. In MGR, going fast consists of holding a trigger. Quick kills of mooks and bosses are pretty simple in MGR, not so in Bayonetta.

-Extra content is another no-contest. MGR's VR Missions, in addition to being pretty lackluster, are nowhere near the challenge of Bayonetta's Lost Chapter. Getting top times in all the VR missions wasn't too difficult, but Pure Platinum on the Lost Chapter...that's up there with going a full four cycles in the Survival Mode of Itagaki's Ninja Gaiden 2. Y'know, crazy shit.

Don't get me wrong, Metal Gear Rising was a really fun game, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys these kind of games...but it is lacking in depth and difficulty. That's probably the reason why I played the game in a huge burst around release, but haven't touched it since. Fnn, but I don't really feel as though it has anything left to offer me.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
I only played the demo but the parry system is pretty broken. Still ok, I guess.

finally, you guys have exposed yourselves as japanese animu retard lovers for like this fucking piece of shit of a game. I watched my friend who loves MGS play it and it was probably the most retarded thing I've ever seen in a game. This game has it all - the shit jap pop rock, the shitty anime art design, the shitty over the top animations and combat, button mashing pseudo-game play on rails, a gimmick mechanic that's useless and shitty, the graphics are worse than MGS4, the acting is totally fucking insane and on top of all that, Raided is a gay cocksucker and I can't stand him.
No. It's just that Japanese developers make good action games and westerners don't. So if you want a good action game you gotta suck it up and deal with animu style unless you value art style and story over game play (coughstoryfag)
Japanese developers are so good at action games that they can't into camera placement.

It's almost like a rule. "Director-san, should we hire a camera designer"? "No, you fool"
From the western side, i can only remember Lords of Shadow games. Good combat with good art direction. GoW1 is dated, wish i could play GoW3

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
If I were sober I would fuck him up. In reality, you should trust my jugement. Really, you don't?
Well, fuck you.
Be misreable and never play any game that makes you happty

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity

From the western side, i can only remember Lords of Shadow games.
Co-developed with Kojima.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter

From the western side, i can only remember Lords of Shadow games.
Co-developed with Kojima.
Kojima is just a brand name by now. And we are talking about former Rebel Act, devs of Blade of Darkness.

Cadmus

Arcane

I don't like the game because of many of its mechanical aspects and yea, I really care about the art style in games and this one pisses me off.

The combat felt like it had no weight to it, no punch, all too flashy and light if you know what I mean.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Guess my only major complaints about Revengeance would be that switching weapons is much too clunky, the game's a bit too short, and the tutorial explains exactly jack-shit to you on how alot of the key mechanics of the game, like parrying. What doesn't help is that parrying really isn't completely necessary for the first two or so hours of the game. Then you hit the bladewolf bossfight and he'll just punch your bloody nuts out through your nose because that one mechanic that was briefly explained to you for two seconds over an hour and a half ago is actually pivotal for getting through the rest of the game.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

To be fair, that's the result of the platform they are stuck with.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

I don't like the game because of many of its mechanical aspects and yea, I really care about the art style in games and this one pisses me off.

The combat felt like it had no weight to it, no punch, all too flashy and light if you know what I mean.
Not sure how you feel anything from watching friend playing. Were you feeling him up?

Cadmus

Arcane

Not sure how you feel anything from watching friend playing. Were you feeling him up?
maybe I'm wrong then but that's really the impression I got.
was not feeling him up, balls not touching=not gay

Gerrard

Arcane
Do I even need to justify your post with a response? Like is it really this possible for someone to be this stupid? Well I guess I'll fall for the bait.

Let's compare the games in question:

Metal Gear Rising:

- Combos are short, most efficient way to deal damage is repetition of 3-4 button 'combos'.
- Best defensive option is parrying or parry dodging. Small frame window to perform successfully at highest difficulty.
- QTEs
- "stealth" is completely optional and you cannot do stealth in order to S rank missions since you have to do all the combats to S rank them.
- Has ridiculous cutscenes
- Designed by Platinum games.

Bayonetta:

- Combos are short, most efficient way to deal damage is repetition of 3-4 button 'combos'
- Best defensive option is parrying with the moon shield (forgot real name) or hitting R. Both options have small frame windows to perform successfully.
- QTEs
- Has unskippable railshooter segment and skippable shootan minigames.
- Designed by Platinum games.

Devil May Cry 1:

- Combos are short, most efficient way to deal damage is repetition of 3-4 button 'combos'
- Best defensive option is moving out of the way or jumping. Jumping has invincibility for a small number of frames.
- Designed by Hideki Kamiya who went on to start Platinum games.

Devil May Cry 3:

- Combos can be long if desired, but most efficient way to deal damage is repetition of short combos consisting of animation canceled moves.
- Best defensive option is parrying (royal guard). Small frame window to perform successfully.
- Has fucking dice rolling shit and puzzle sequences
- Designed by a team that was clearly inspired by the work of Hideki Kamiya.

HURRR DURR WHY DID YOU COMPARE DESE GAMES?

Please consider finding a new hobby.

Unless you were baiting me, in which case, good work.
Yeah, you probably shouldn't have responded, because now it's clear that you suck at these games, and it's no wonder you think MGR is the best.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Yeah, you probably shouldn't have responded, because now it's clear that you suck at these games, and it's no wonder you think MGR is the best.

Damn dude, you sure showed me. Instead of citing where any of the objectively correct things I labeled is wrong, you just throw out a kindergarten tier ad hominem.

Well at least now I know you're little more than a troll. You did a good jorb eliciting responses. Godspeed dumbo, godspeed.

:kingcomrade:

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Edward_R_Murrow - You know your shit and raise good points, so brofist for that.

I hate on DMC1 because I played it quite a long time after it released, and it's aged very poorly (imo). As for the meat of your reply, I can't really disagree too much. From my personal experience, Bayo's initial playthrough was easier than MGR's, and on the harder difficulties they were comparable. I haven't spedrun the games or played the bonus missions, so I have no context on that. It was more a matter of me thinking they are very similar in difficulty, and that if people find Bayo significantly harder, then they need to hit R and use the shield more often.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

Damn dude, you sure showed me. Instead of citing where any of the objectively correct things I labeled is wrong, you just throw out a kindergarten tier ad hominem.

Well at least now I know you're little more than a troll. You did a good jorb eliciting responses. Godspeed dumbo, godspeed.

:kingcomrade:
Lol don't call a troll a dumbo if he actually succeeded in baiting someone. Be humble and praise the guy.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

I'm not saying you're wrong, just making fun of your train of thought. Don't worry, I always do this. It gets me off.

On a serious note, though, I'm not talking specifically about MGR but action games in general. You're gonna get animu art and over-the-top animations in games like Bayonetta, DMC (kinda), God Hand, etc. Maybe you can make do with Ninja Gaiden. Or Dark Souls I guess.

But what games with good action are you gonna play with good art design except Lords of Shadow (which still partially animu because Konami forced Mercury to make it that way, and yes I concede the gameplay itself was by Western developers)? Heavenly Sword? Dante's Inferno? Darksiders? God of War? XMen Wolverine :lol:? Assassin's Creed? Unless you go far far back to Severance you ain't gonna get anything interesting. And Arkham and Prince of Persia don't count because their strengths are other stuff (Predator mode for the former and platforming for the latter)

Hell you can't even point at shooters unless you go back to Quake 3. Or the ARMA series I guess. Actually it's funny because Platinum's Vanquish is better than a decade of any shooters.

And I've no bias towards Jap or Western developers (I hate JRPGs, for example), but I'm just saying it is what it is. Your options are not playing action games, playing shitty action games, or suck it up on your art preference and play good action games. Like I said, I'm not faulting you you at all, I'm just describing the situation as it is.

Cadmus

Arcane

I'm not saying you're wrong, just making fun of your train of thought. Don't worry, I always do this. It gets me off.

On a serious note, though, I'm not talking specifically about MGR but action games in general. You're gonna get animu art and over-the-top animations in games like Bayonetta, DMC (kinda), God Hand, etc. Maybe you can make do with Ninja Gaiden. Or Dark Souls I guess.

But what games with good action are you gonna play with good art design except Lords of Shadow (which still partially animu because Konami forced Mercury to make it that way, and yes I concede the gameplay itself was by Western developers)? Heavenly Sword? Dante's Inferno? Darksiders? God of War? XMen Wolverine :lol:? Assassin's Creed? Unless you go far far back to Severance you ain't gonna get anything interesting. And Arkham and Prince of Persia don't count because their strengths are other stuff (Predator mode for the former and platforming for the latter)

Hell you can't even point at shooters unless you go back to Quake 3. Or the ARMA series I guess. Actually it's funny because Platinum's Vanquish is better than a decade of any shooters.

And I've no bias towards Jap or Western developers (I hate JRPGs, for example), but I'm just saying it is what it is. Your options are not playing action games, playing shitty action games, or suck it up on your art preference and play good action games. Like I said, I'm not faulting you you at all, I'm just describing the situation as it is.
This is really interesting because you just described what I've been thinking all along. The last hack and slash or what you call them I liked or even played I think was Severance. Quake 3 and Operation Flashpoint are my favourite games of all time and I don't care for any of the shitCreed or assMan franchises(hi hi hi)

You know, I kinda like anime. I liked Bleach even though it was retarded, I liked Berserk, Helsing, Death Note, Claymore and one or two more, but I liked them the most when they were really down to earth with strong, clean, pure style. I mean, anime can be really good with the art direction, like the battle against the vampire dude in Berserk, that whole episode was beautiful. Or some of the early Bleach episodes. I remember some pretty scenery before everything went totally off the rails with lasers shooting everywhere.

This fucking game is just silly and the visuals bored me and annoyed me.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
This is really interesting because you just described what I've been thinking all along. The last hack and slash or what you call them I liked or even played I think was Severance. Quake 3 and Operation Flashpoint are my favourite games of all time and I don't care for any of the shitCreed or assMan franchises(hi hi hi)

You know, I kinda like anime. I liked Bleach even though it was retarded, I liked Berserk, Helsing, Death Note, Claymore and one or two more, but I liked them the most when they were really down to earth with strong, clean, pure style. I mean, anime can be really good with the art direction, like the battle against the vampire dude in Berserk, that whole episode was beautiful. Or some of the early Bleach episodes. I remember some pretty scenery before everything went totally off the rails with lasers shooting everywhere.

Hey Bleach was pretty decent until the end of the Rescue Rukia arc. After that it just turned into "Ichigo gains new powers" animu dumbness. Actually first arc was pretty good and unique-ish - low power levels, mysterious enemies, etc. Fake edit: Oh wait, you already addressed that in your last sentence. Pretty much agree with the down to earth stuff. And the Berserk manga arc that was animated is just a really good and tragic storyline.

If by assMan you mean Hitman, they're actually decent and difficult games. The idea of sneaking around using disguises, well, makes more sense to me than sneaking around like a Thief game (not that the latter type of game is bad). Blood Money is the only one I'd recommend though, the rest of them have too many gameplay flaws.

I also recommend giving Revengeance a try, since you have a friend with the game. Playing a game vs watching a game can be pretty different, especially if your friend isn't aware and/or good of all the nuances of the mechanics (or just sucks at the game lol). Note I'm not forcing my opinion on you, just that I think a personal play of the game will give you a more clarified impression of the game.

Cadmus

Arcane

Hey Bleach was pretty decent until the end of the Rescue Rukia arc. After that it just turned into "Ichigo gains new powers" animu dumbness. Actually first arc was pretty good and unique-ish - low power levels, mysterious enemies, etc. Fake edit: Oh wait, you already addressed that in your last sentence. Pretty much agree with the down to earth stuff. And the Berserk manga arc that was animated is just a really good and tragic storyline.

If by assMan you mean Hitman, they're actually decent and difficult games. The idea of sneaking around using disguises, well, makes more sense to me than sneaking around like a Thief game (not that the latter type of game is bad). Blood Money is the only one I'd recommend though, the rest of them have too many gameplay flaws.

I also recommend giving Revengeance a try, since you have a friend with the game. Playing a game vs watching a game can be pretty different, especially if your friend isn't aware and/or good of all the nuances of the mechanics (or just sucks at the game lol). Note I'm not forcing my opinion on you, just that I think a personal play of the game will give you a more clarified impression of the game.
sorry, I meant Batman.
I love Hitman, it's one of my favourite games and actually series, except for the last one which was worse than Hitler.

Machocruz

Arcane

Correct. Although calling LoS partially anime is pushing it, to me; it had the right amount of stylization for fantasy video games, and something about it was distinctly European to me; they are better at striking that balance between extreme stylization and taste in their comics and illustration (see Jean "Giraud" Moebius) Still, like you said, what are the other options? Everything is tainted by pop-culture retardo. Heavenly Sword = wannabe Asian shit; Dante's Inferno = western sado/fantasy shit + modern DnD spiky shit; Darksiders = animu inspired western comic shit; God of War = Kwan meathead obsession with weird touches from modern American animation shit. Wolverine = no style shit; AssCreed = disciplined art direction (aside from flamboyant Ezio costume) but combat is shit; Ninja Gaiden = garish tokusatsu shit.

That leaves Severance, the Berserk games, Dragon's Dogma, and Souls (which aren't spectacle fighters and have some weapons that may be too anime-huge for some people's liking). Maybe Die By The Sword, but never played it.

I mean, anime can be really good with the art direction, like the battle against the vampire dude in Berserk, that whole episode was beautiful.

You talking about the fight with Nosferatu Zodd (big Akuma looking dude who transforms into bigger "dude")? Wasn't it, though? That entire episode was masterful. The build up throughout, foreboding, higher art/animation quality and consistency (for that show), the apocalyptic tone, the imposing menace of Zodd. That kind of shit doesn't get better in anime. The first episode and the last were on that level too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom