Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Neverwinter 2 worth playing?

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Oc is not as bad as people make it out to be. If you are starving for some good old D&D you can probably stomach it and even enjoy it a little(I know I did).

Motb has been great so far(playing it through right now). Can't comment on SoZ, but I like the idea of it. I don't see anyone commenting on MoW at all, so it must be quite unremarkable or something.

Mysteries of Westgate is almost okay. I wanted to like it, being an urban adventure with many shady elements, and I guess it was kind of worth playing, but it's like if they have good things designed, but then it's reviewed by a "dumbing-down department" or something like that. Looks like it was conceived as a town to explore and adventure into, but in the end you're always told where to go. Party members look interesting but in the end are the same as always, etc.

Yeah, the OC is playable, and not THAT terrible or anything. It's just another one of those games where you play it just to play it, and then check it off your list, and hopefully never come back to it, because you found better RPGs.

Barbarian

Arcane
There were some good moments in the OC, and even some considerable C&C(though most of it was basically shoved down your throat in the end of the game all at once). Keep in mind most quests were of the "fetch this"/"kill that" variey, with good/evil options threw in just for flavor(with everything being basically the same regardless of what you choose). The Bioware school of rpgdesign, basically(well, before all the gay romances and sex cutscenes that is).

Jerro was a good character, and the big bad villain was ok and far from generic even though his name reeks of cheesyness and you expect the worst the first time you hear it. One very disappointing thing is that Giths are supposed to be interesting, yet in the game they will bore you to hell and back. Most companions are your usual D&D clichés and I was surprised to hear Avellone wrote them. He must have had his hands tied behind his back or something.

As for the gameplay, it was passable. Not brilliant or anything, but what I would expect from a competent rtwp adaptation of 3.5 D&D. Encounter design is what kills it, since there are few interesting battles in between the hordes of cannon fodder you will be killing all the time. Motb improves on that part.

Barbarian

Arcane
Anyway, I can tell you I had infinitely more fun with the NWN2 OC than with PoE. At least 3.5 D&D is a solid role-playing system to design a game upon, not that crap Sawyer made up and "rebalanced" hundreds of times.

The map design was also a huge problem with NWN2 (and NWN). They had to make these tiny modular maps because that's how their engine works I guess, so every map is like a big room, which just kills any feeling of a real world, atmosphere, exploration, etc.

The villain's story (King of Shadows/Guardian) had some potential, and some of the background lore for it is pretty good, but it never went anywhere. If it was PS:T, you would probably meet him and have some deep philosophical discussions, maybe meet some of the people close to him from the past, find out some great plot twists, etc. Here, he jumps out at you as a big dark blob in the final battle, and goes "MWAHAHAA PERPARE TO DIE!".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom