Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Pillars of Eternity worth playing?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
1. From what I've seen so far, almost (and by that I mean 90%+) all rooms in interiors/dungeons, and almost all outside/wilderness areas are choke full of (trash) mobs. I don't play RPGs just to have near-continuous several-hours-long battles (till I clear a dungeon for example), it is not entertaining nor enjoyable in any way for me. Is this how it's going to be the entire game? I'm tempted to lower the difficulty to easy (except with some more interesting encounters and bosses) because I don't have time nor patience for this shit.

Trash mob density has been reduced in last patches. Depending on your sensitivity it might solve the issue... or not.
Also the encounter design in the DLC areas is vastly improved and generally more challenging. Does not mean there's a shortage of combat.

2. What's the point of limiting the number of camping supplies to 2 in hard mode, exactly? Once I'm out of them (and thanks to trash mobs it does happen fairly often, especially with lenghty dungeons), and my casters are out of their per-rest allowed number of spellcastings - I have to return to some tavern and purchase them, return to where I left and continue. What? It makes no sense logically either: 2 camping supplies can be used by 1 party member (the player for example) as well as by 6. The cost is the same.

Never had this issue. Like Captain Mace, usually faced supply overflow. Maybe you need to ration your supplies more and include some classes with more lasting power in your party composition. Ciphers in particular are excellent casters who never tire. Rangers and Paladins are also very good classes with some interesting abilities (particularly Rangers). Mages and Druids will become better with levels and spells known - they will even have some low-level spells on per-encounter basis. And, differently then in most competing games, many low-level spells remain quite useful throughout the game.

3. Weapons, armour, trinkets etc. all seem so boring, disgustingly so. There's almost nothing special in the game at all. Almost all (95%+) of them only modify 2-3 things at the most, which wouldn't be problem if it weren't for the fact that modifiers are 1. usually only as high as 20% for increased stats and 2. the fact that they all have some drawback. Strange. There are no (thus far) unique effects, many "unique" (i.e. have unique names) items are just marginally better than the regular "fine" items, all of which makes me feel as if I'm playing an Excel-spreadsheet turn-based strategy (I can like those though, but not when I expect an RPG first).

Are you possibly a troll? I keep hearing this, but it's always puzzling me. I don't know many examples of games with better itemization. Since you haven't played for long, perhaps you haven't experienced much beside the vanilla items yet. Gloves that summon a large, fiery greatsword. Boots that create a regenerative circle when you character gets critted. weapons that knockdown or stun on crit or invoke various magical effects at random, clothing that snares enemies attacking you or sicken them with smell or fear them or simply damage them.

The DLCs bring the itemization to another level, you get way more interesting gear, especially the soulbound equipment, but I've always found even the base game itemization rather good.

Considering when I got the game, and that in the meantime there was a bunch of patches, updates and expansions and whatnot, my question is: have the issues I mentioned been corrected with all those patches (last one is 3.07 it seems) and is the game now better because of it? Because, frankly, if trash mobs, bland characters, rather forced mythology, boring items etc. have all stayed, then I'm unsure if I want to continue.

The patches and DLC have vastly improved the game, including the areas you've listed. But considering the amount of butthurt/trolling you've just put in your message, I'm not convinced that it's enough for you.

Last edited:

Zibniyat

Arcane
The patches and DLC have vastly improved the game, including the areas you've listed. But considering the amount of butthurt/trolling you've just put in your message, I'm not convinced that it's enough for you.

Thanks for the information. I've already obtained the "definitive edition", but I'm continuing with my current playthrough since after modifying my party composition, enchanting everything I could, bringing some potions and food with myself, I find a bit less annoying to deal with the encounters since they're much easier now.

You, however, need to stop being a butthurt fanboy, since I was stating my opinion of the game which I've actually substantiated with proper arguments. That better and unique items come later in the game doesn't change a thing. It amuses me that you write off my complaints as "butthurt/trolling" as if I have a stake in POE being bad or good.

At any rate, I've got enough information from everyone that I'll continue playing and reserve my final judgement of the quality of the game (which for now is negative) once I actually finish it.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
I perceived your comments as trolling, because you have wrote yourself, that you've only begun playing. Can you name some games that provide unique and powerful items at the beginning? In most cRPGs I know you start with a rusty iron sword/axe.

Zibniyat

Arcane
I did not say that I wanted "unique and powerful". My gripe is with how all the difference between various items end up being in +/- 20% at the most, even when 1 item costs 400 GP and another 1400 GP. Seemed wrong somehow.

3. Weapons, armour, trinkets etc. all seem so boring, disgustingly so. There's almost nothing special in the game at all. Almost all (95%+) of them only modify 2-3 things at the most, which wouldn't be problem if it weren't for the fact that modifiers are 1. usually only as high as 20% for increased stats and 2. the fact that they all have some drawback. Strange. There are no (thus far) unique effects, many "unique" (i.e. have unique names) items are just marginally better than the regular "fine" items, all of which makes me feel as if I'm playing an Excel-spreadsheet turn-based strategy (I can like those though, but not when I expect an RPG first).

For a game in which I've already invested 15+ hours it seemed too much. For example, I remember KOTOR2 (a game which I've finished, several times, for 40-45 hours) or NWN2 giving me something more than just +/- 10 to 20% to several stats (with some drawbacks), all that within those 15 to 20 hours.

Though now that you mention it, perhaps I was wrong in mentioning this as something bad, since you are right that this is (ultimately) just a beginning.

On the other hand, after what must have been committing several genocides in the game (considering the number of trash mobs and shit), I really did get an impression that the beginning is far behind me, and I'm now already "fully" in the game, irrespective if that will last for another 40 or 80 hours.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Well, maybe we just have different expectations from games. For me an item giving up to +5 to an attribute (usually +2-4) is very powerful. +4 Intellect for example improves your (friendly fire safe!) area of effects by +24% and is pretty significant IMO (plus it's +20% duration, +8 Will defence as well). Plus you can boost it further with rest and food bonuses.
But I like stats and builds having meaning and games not overly relying on items.

The Great Deceiver

Trickster
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I did try replaying this, after a slew of patches (and two years). But unfortunately, the extremely fast combat is putting me off again - it doesn't seem any better than it was. I play on PotD and yes I use slow combat toggle - everything just deals too much damage, including my own party, so there's little room for tactics. As it is I don't even bother with ranged weapons because enemies are on top of you in seconds. Getting blown to bits/blowing up your enemies in 15 seconds isn't very enjoyable to me either. Judging by the videos I've seen of the PoE II beta it's the same in the sequel (from what I've seen people spend 95% of the time paused because everything's happening so quickly).

Shame, because slowing it all the fuck down would have made it a rather fun experience, at least for me. I want a cRPG, not a MOBA.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Because of the idiotic philosophy of "you can be anything you want to be strictly because this is a fantasy RPG", ranged weapons have no class restrictions, and the only penalty of using a ranged weapon at a melee distance is that you will not cause engagement with the enemy. There is also a racial trait that gives the astounding +5 accuracy when you are more than 4 meters away from a target. How you measure meters on a PoE map is up to you.

Lhynn

Arcane
Because in theory to use any weapon effectively you need some training with it. I dont see mages training with claymores or great axes.

Classes usually come saddled with an ethos and at least a common backstory in some respects. And it makes no sense for every mage to wield a two hander with the same ease that a warrior does. At least thats the reason most classes are saddled with limitations and bonuses.

In pilars is more about whats banalced.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Do they really scrap trash mobs in the last version? I find it VERY difficult to swallow. Trash mobs made the majority of combat in vanilla.

Trashos

Arcane
They reduced them a lot, so that you didn't have to swim through a sea of trash mobs in order to get from one end of the map to the other. What remained was still mainly trash mobs, but the pacing of the game improved, as you would get to the next map -with a different kind of trash mobs- sooner.

I'm trying to give it a shot again but it's a bit too much on the boring side for me. At least Tyranny had the edgy theme and Tired of Numa Numa had the "everything goes" world so I could slog through the bad parts. This is just exposition and trash combat.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I kickstarted it because I wanted to give them a chance, and then I tried to get a refund last year but they said no :(

Theldaran

Liturgist
Where do you see these punk ass drones ?
What are you even talking about ?

Nah, don't you mind.

There's a cringey forum full of compatriots who trashed me for shitting on PoE.

That's the very same forum where communism and things like squatting is applauded, so I guess it runs in the blood.

PoE:

Oh okay, classic understated power fantasy with too much exposition.

Tyranny:

Fuck yeah, let's navigate the evil of this world!

azimuth

Educated
I did try replaying this, after a slew of patches (and two years). But unfortunately, the extremely fast combat is putting me off again - it doesn't seem any better than it was. I play on PotD and yes I use slow combat toggle - everything just deals too much damage, including my own party, so there's little room for tactics. As it is I don't even bother with ranged weapons because enemies are on top of you in seconds. Getting blown to bits/blowing up your enemies in 15 seconds isn't very enjoyable to me either. Judging by the videos I've seen of the PoE II beta it's the same in the sequel (from what I've seen people spend 95% of the time paused because everything's happening so quickly).

Shame, because slowing it all the fuck down would have made it a rather fun experience, at least for me. I want a cRPG, not a MOBA.
Wait, what? Although I was a backer, I didn't really enjoy the game too much at release, but I'm playing for real now and it's quite good. My party of 6 is actually primarily ranged, which is made even easier than in IE games due to engagement and the ease of blocking chokes with "tanky" melee units. I also like the bard guy who feels designed to open every fight with an arquebus shot before switching to melee - something I'm shocked to realize I never saw in IE. And his ranged damage-boosting chant makes a ranged-heavy comp even stronger.

In fact, the (relative) complexity of melee classes makes combat in this far more tactical than in any IE game, where your only way of protecting the back lines was to physically block the enemy model or cast a spell. Now you can engage or knock down in addition to physically blocking chokes (in addition to hobbling, etc.).

PoE manages to make combat feel very satisfying at times, with your priest or wizards working overtime to pull you out of a tough battle with the right collection of spells.

This is coming from a guy who spent dozens of hours on BG1/2 back in the 90s only to come away with mixed impressions. PoE in 2017 is well made.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom