Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Rockstar finally releasing Red Dead Redemption for PC?

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I don't see why they didn't make the effort for simultaneously releasing it on pc in the first place. With the hype, they could have sold a lot more copies full price.

It looks like irrational hatred of the pc market has cost publishers money.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Hopefully it's not a total piece of shit on launch like GTA4. They did a stellar job for MP3 but that was built for the PC first so...

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Too late if this is the case. I think the hype train for Red Dead passed a long time ago. I might pick it up when it gets cheap, but otherwise I really could not care less. Max Payne 3 did have a pretty good port though, so hopefully this one won't be so bad either.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Red Dead Redemption was pretty decent on the xbawks. But releasing it for PC now is probably too little too late. The missions also suffered from the mission giver being placed halfway across the map from the mission just so you could ride there for half an hour while they yapped about themselves.

Multi-headed Cow

I would totally buy RDR again on PC.*

*Probably during a Steam sale, and hopefully it has the PC performance of Max Payne 3 and not GTA4. RDR was pretty cool though.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Good game, but I thought Red Dead Revolver was superior.

I thought the engine code was too much of a trainwreck to run on PCs or something like that, but I don't know anything about programming and am apt to believe anything people say on the internet.

DakaSha

Arcane
Havent read thread or even OP but I anted to state that this game is actually good despite being a rockstar console game. A lot of things ere done very well in this title

Multi-headed Cow

But does Revolver let you ride in to town, lasso a random woman, hogtie her, throw her on the back of your horse, ride off into the woods, *Censored in the name of tasteful posting*, and then put the controller down, hands shaking, body covered in sweat, then turn the TV off to hide your shame and go to the bathroom to clean yourself off?
I thought not!

I did wish money had a larger use in RDR though. I have the same wish in basically every open world game and it's almost always worthless. Would have more incentive to be a bad guy if stealing money was a benefit, but the only benefit is typically just to fuck around and be an idiot.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I just had way more fun with Revolver. The multiplayer deathmatch was a blast; seriously underrated. And the quick-draw vs. was a hilarious slo-mo killing spree with people turning on one another in an orgy of confusing violence. Redemption is good, but it was hard to shake the GTA out of its system. Great landscapes, even if they're populated by a bunch of sidewinder running Gumby people.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
I played it for a little while on the hugbox

don't see what the fuss is about, looks like that shitty game western game, Gun, but with GTA IV missions

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
May I ask what was so shit about it then? thesoup

A game is 'shit' when one needs to gather KKK's. I haven't played it but if it's anything like GUN or GTA then it should be at least competent and mildly entertaining.

There's far too much liberal use of the word 'shit' to just mean anything you don't like without giving a real reason. I've played all manner of true SHIT and the worst thing Rockstar could make would be like the greatest game on Earth in comparison.

Humppaleka

Cipher
inb4 Morgoth "day-one purchase, anyone who doesn't get this can't call himself a true gamer." Oh wait. RDR was okay, it was GTA in the wild west but nothing spectacular. Would rather play GTAs.

Apparently they already removed the GFWL logo, so false alarm I guess.

Or it could just mean they aren't using it because their "social club" thing is enough of a hindrance already. Max Payne 3 didn't have GFWL too if I'm not mistaken. I hope this gets a PC version, seems like there's no way I wouldn't enjoy this game.

thesoup

Arcane
May I ask what was so shit about it then? thesoup
It's easy, the controls are awful, cover based, health regen, shitty quests, you can be this evil motherfucker in the game, but you're the goody two shoes during story mode making it very jarring. I also strongly dislike wild west.

thesoup

Arcane
Surf Solar
Yes, please ignore everything else I've written. Even if Wild West had my everlasting love, RDR would still be a subpar boring challenge free sandbox with no redeeming values.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I hardly recall any GTA-like games lately which were remotively challenging. That's not why these games are made for, they are made so you can screw around in them and do what the fuck you want. Now, to admit that RDR lacks lots of "screwing around" options - true. But it tells a nice story, has amazing soundtrack and sfx and a very good atmosphere if you dig such dirty western stuff. As for the cover based stuff, you don't have to use it. If you stick to cover in multiplayer you get roflstomped, I agree they could have cranked up the difficulty in the singleplayermode though.

Still, this is hardly something I would call "shit". Stuff like Street Cleaning simulator is shit or whatever. You could've just said it's mediocre or whatever, but "shit"? Give me a break.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom