Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is the idea of GTA, a game that has everything, a mistake?

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Well, since Vice City and San Andreas specifically, GTA started to take itself way too seriously, which caused the tone shift in 4 and 5. I honestly can enjoy both tbh.

Icymad

Novice
Reading this thread was a mistake. GTA 3 onwards is one of the best action adventure franchises that only kids drinking kool aid would disagree...

Freddie

Savant
I don't own GTA V and little I have played it, I'm not that interested. I wouldn't say it's failed experiment though. Perhaps Rockstar considered that if they focus on creating a good environment for sort of stories, moments which players create on their own during game play would, combined with brand power, be a hit seller. Sales wise it looks like they got it right.

But it may not be much for people who like 'tighter' experience. It's funny how in GTA IV you got all those calls to do all sort of activities with your cousin etc. And in Saints Row you get all those calls, but you decide when to do those activities.

There are things sand box makes possible, be that sort of vignette moments or something, but I guess the art is to integrate those in the game without either narrative or player initiative suffering.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I just don't see the point of making a huge open world and use it as only commuting time for the next scripted and linear mission, I loved Saints Row 2 and 3 where the game gave you an endless number of excuses to cause mayhem, some high difficulty side activities on those two games could be completely ludicrous and way more fun to do than the boring and linear main missions. Shooting rockets on enemy pimp cars while you competed to get the whores was way more fun than anything GTA V thrown at me. I was on a good vibe for GTA V especially because of Trevor and I thought I would be able to do some crazy shit, in the end, the crazy shit could only be done on certain very scripted ways on very specific places by the developers on the main missions, outside of that it is you hunting fucking pigeons, running on races or a series of inconsequential minigames.

This is the laziest open world design there is but you know, Rockstar if getting a shit ton of money from GTA online, guess where this kind of open world mayhem gameplay is alot more supported? I really don't get why people like GTA V, at least on single player, Rockstar air head, shallow, cynical psychotic fucks they have for characters never were interesting to begin with and the parody of the US culture while fun to watch, I found it way funnier on the television programs, billboards and radio than actually on the main story that take itself way too serious.

Beastro

Arcane
GTA 3 was already too serious.

GTA V, at least on single player, Rockstar air head, shallow, cynical psychotic fucks they have for characters never were interesting to begin with and the parody of the US culture while fun to watch, I found it way funnier on the television programs, billboards and radio than actually on the main story that take itself way too serious.

I'm sick of that sneering, nihilistic attitude.

Simpsons came out 28 years ago and it was wearing itself out in the mid 2000s. Now it's no longer the counterculture, it is it and needs to be reined in or else it's just going to destroy shit, not simply be a push against things being overly stable and tame.

Ezekiel

Arcane
So, I finally got into a Deathmatch, for the first time in forever. I was wrong about the lobby needing to be completely full. Only needed 6/16. But, as I was in the match, I remembered that the world design makes it very boring. It was on a beach, completely open space with almost no cover and no height/verticality. I then spent ten minutes in a clothes shop, got more bored and exited the game. I played some Max Payne 3 later. I wish Rockstar made more games like that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom