Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is there a mod which makes DAO into a good game?

So it's been out for quite a while now and I saw some early versions of some rather basic tactical challenge mods for DAO when I last checked about a month after the game came out. I kind of liked the level and stanima/mana system, and the only thing that really killed the DAO gameplay for me was how very simple and unvaried the enemies were, and how I'd run into them every 20 meters. It kind of started feeling super generic and boring after a while.

So, does the DAO nexus have a solution?

Tycn

Savant
Nope. There are small improvements to specific mechanics but nothing fixes the shitty, repetitive encounters or lack of balance.

The Dragon Age modding scene died out nearly as soon as it started. Don't expect to find anything that revolutionary.

Heartwarden

Educated
It's beyond repair.

Although, I could play the game again if every characters face was clown-painted. Then their expressions would be perfect.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The best (or, only good, I should say) mod I've found, is Loot and Game Balance Revision, I think it's called. It adds loot to alot of enemies and containers (about 600 new items), and re-balances the games other items plus enemies to accomodate the new selection of items.

It makes the game more varied and interesting (beats my there was so little loot-variation in a fucking grand RPG), and makes enemies harder to fight (by lowering your armor value).

It also includes a lot of the good, minor mods, like a more advanced combat tactics screen and the auto-loot mod.

But otherwise, no. Most of the mods out there are fucking uselss fanfic or variations of badly modeled nude-mods.

The modding scene is always as good as the game itself.

Surely that's why the modding scene for Baldur's Gate is HAEVAN and the ones for Planescape: Torment and Fallout are shit.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
VentilatorOfDoom said:
I loved the Dragon Age loot, hey guys I think I just found a Deep Mushroom!!!!

My point exactly. How this shit ever got to final I have no idea. Can't be that difficult to add some more loot, once you have the models, and you can easily balance them towards the pre-existing most powerful items...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The modding scene is always as good as the game itself. "

Thanks for admitting what I always knew - NWN is the best game evar!

P.S. DA modding sucks because the toolset sucks and the toolset sucks ebcause it was clear from the get go BIO never gave a shit about the toolset and it was only included to satisfy the NWN mod fags.

pipka

Savant
Dragon Age Redesigned - choose only "Lore" changes
Natural Bodies AIO - stick to "Realistic look"
Improved Atmosphere
JBTextures
Extra Dog Slot
Dialogue fixpacks( Morrigan's; Zevran's; Dialogue Tweaks; etc.)
Character Respecialization
Winter Forge
Combat Tweaks
Advanced Tactics, Party, Quickbar
Qwinn's Unofficial Fixpack (indefinably on hiatus, sadly)

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Multidirectional said:
Skyway thinking before he posts as usual.

Posting before he thinks, maybe? Well now, how ironic. How does that make you feel? Do you feel shame?

Anyho, this forum is a bout hate not thinkign gtfo of my toilet as I'm trying to take a shit i press the submit button :x

Serious_Business said:
Multidirectional said:

Posting before he thinks, maybe? Well now, how ironic. How does that make you feel? Do you feel shame?

No I don't. That was supposed to have a reverse meaning. Like if I said "Skyway totally knows what he's talking about". How ashamed are you now? I hope not at all.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Serious_Business said:
Anyho, this forum is a bout hate not thinkign gtfo of my toilet as I'm trying to take a shit i press the submit button :x

At the new Codex you press the reply button and something awesome happens!

:yeah:

MetalCraze said:
Multidirectional said:

So where am I wrong?

Fair enough. If you only meant DA with that statement it is I who overanalyzed it and indeed was wrong. Thinking carefully before posting as usual.. Oh the shame. But only if you weren't speaking in general.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
racofer said:
Serious_Business said:

At the new Codex you press the reply button and something awesome happens!

:yeah:
:smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom