Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is there anything like Misery Mod (Call of Pripyat mod) out there?

bati

Scholar
Before you start throwing names like Metro around let me explain what it is about Misery that I found so appealing:

- inventory system
- dedicated task oriented gear - combat suits, anomaly suits, gas masks, etc
- fast and deadly combat for both player and npcs
- hazardous environments
- very immersive
- rewarding exploration with hand placed unique gear
- more or less allows you to play at your own pace, none of that cinematic feel™
- somewhat realistic/grounded setting without a storyline or quests that go out of their way to seem weird/funny/retarded (think Bethesda's handling of the Fallout franchise to get the idea)
- not included in Misery but I'd like to see: punishing death mechanic. Either perma-death, second chance, severe penalties or simply saving your progress on every action. The less save-scumming the better.

I've played both Metro games on Ranger mode and they were good but relied on set pieces a little too much. Also linear as hell. Skyrim with Requiem mod (+ some supporting ones) is great but I've already played it far too much. I never found any good mods for FNV or FO3 that would relay the sense of danger as well as Misery does. I've played with Project Nevada (fnv) and FWE + MMM (fo3) but it wasn't the same. The setting also gets in the way, even if you mod in modern weapons you can't get past all the goofiness of the Fallout world (before I get skinned alive, I'm a fan just not looking for that at the moment). I've played some Shadow of Chernobyl mods (latest was AMK Autumn edition, which is a merge of AMK and Autumn Aurora 2.1) and while it was good it wasn't Misery. Few weeks ago I tried Far Cry Primal on Survival with 2nd chance and it was actually enjoyable for a while. With a few tweaks it would be even better though. FO4 on Survival is moderately enjoyable - refer to my remark about Bethesda's handling of the franchise above. I've also played Neo Scavenger and enjoyed it but the horrible pixelation and constant micromanagement eventually got to me.

At the risk of sounding like a complete lunatic - Jagged Alliance 2 1.13 actually gave me vibes that were the most like the ones I got from Misery.

So, for those of you that have played Misery - what in your opinion comes close?

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Obviously System Shock 2 and the original Deus Ex. Both match that list almost to the latter and both are two of the finest FPRPGs around. Both almost certainly inspired the development of STALKER to begin with, too. Other than that you're mostly SoL.

Regarding the save scumming thing and the fast/good combat, there's a mod that addresses that (and much more). See my sig.

bati

Scholar
I've played both games (love both) but I wouldn't say they're anything like Misery or similar games. For one, you pick a spec and stick with it for the duration of the game and fill the gaps in your arsenal with consumables and whatnot. In Misery I was making one to two location trips per day and grabbed the necessary gear and resources based on what those locations were and what I could potentially encounter on my trips.

I'll check out the mod though, thanks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom