Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Tyranny better than Pillars Of Eternity? DISCUSS!

Which is better?

• Total voters

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Tyranny and PoE are similiar, but Tyranny is at least interesting if only for its setting and world. Poe was spaciously described, yet dull and generic.
I dislike fight in both games though.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I find the world of Tyranny, the basic plot, and the companions more interesting. I feel it fails in actually implementing that plot but it's still more interesting to me than POE's souls/gods philosophy circlejerk.

As far as mechanics go, I'd say there's very little that Tyranny does better and a lot that it does worse.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I like tyranny's companion, but their mechanics are just so weak. The favor/fear sounded good on paper, but in just turn into aa slider with bonus skills.

Nobody turns on you. Even barik if you choose to slaughter the disvafored. Lantry if you slaugther the sages etc. Some compabion should be faction exclusive.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Well, for a start I think it's completely unfair to compare PoE 3.0 with Tyranny. PoE 3.0 may have improved many things ... after ONE YEAR. The question is: which is better: PoE 1.0 or Tyranny? I think the answer is obvious: Tyranny.

Things that are better at PoE than at Tyranny:
- the scenarios are less linear (more than one path);
- playing time;
- soundtrack;
- number of companions;
- possibility of setting up your own companion;
- variety of enemies;
- memorable combats.
- difficulty.

Things that are better in Tyranny than in PoE (and I've already gone into more detail on another topic):
- combo abilities;
- spells;
- skill trees;
- items and artifacts;
- crafting;
- training;
- worldbuilding;
- Memorable NPCs;
- better companions;
- useful stronghold (could be better).

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Things that are better at PoE than at Tyranny:
- the scenarios are less linear (more than one path);
PoE is less linear than Tyranny?

- playing time;
Obsidian many times stated that game was designed wth replayability in mind, so if we assume that you complete tyranny at least two times there's not much diffrence.

- number of companions;
Tyranny has 6, PoE has 10, but I prefer 6 better written than PoE's 10 "Meh" companions.

You got Tyranny wrong as well :|

- skill trees;
Tyranny skill trees were bad, mage for instance could get nearly nothing from his tree, while monster companion tree made companion OP.

- items and artifacts;
Artifacts weren't useful.

- crafting;
I spent much money to level smith, yet entire game I crafted one item. It's only useable when you want to upgrade Barrick's armor.
I didn't need to even try alchemy, and library was pretty useless.

- worldbuilding;
Poe did a lot of worldbuilding as well.

- useful stronghold (could be better).
I was there once after conquering it and have never come back. I assume that by stronghold you mean bottom of main tower, not towers in general.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I was there once after conquering it and have never come back. I assume that by stronghold you mean bottom of main tower, not towers in general.

Oh no, I meant the towers.

Sannom

Augur
I don't know what game you played but it couldn't have possibly been Tyranny. Tyranny doesn't even use Vancian magic, even that alone makes PoE much closer to BG than Tyranny. Not to mention that magic in Tyranny just generally consists of spamming your highest dmg spell, because that's just what works best.
I would argue with the idea that PoE's system is Vancian. I mean, can it be true when there are no wizards or clerics, but rather more flexible Sorcerers and Favored Souls with no limitations?

TT1

Arcane
Patron
When I say that one is better than the other, I do not want to say that PoE is crap because it is not. I have 150 hours of gameplay in PoE. I backed Project Eternity and participated actively in Obsidian forums. And even so I got annoyed with several decisions that the game took and believe that Tyranny made much of those decisions much better.

Last edited:

Rev

Arcane
PoE has some flaws, but Tyranny is definetely a weaker game in pretty much everything.
It's slightly better only on reactivity, but even there it doesn't even go near to games like New Vegas or AoD that truly have good C&C, despite the fact that Tyranny was supposed to have a big focus on that (and was marketed like that).

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't know what game you played but it couldn't have possibly been Tyranny. Tyranny doesn't even use Vancian magic, even that alone makes PoE much closer to BG than Tyranny. Not to mention that magic in Tyranny just generally consists of spamming your highest dmg spell, because that's just what works best.
I would argue with the idea that PoE's system is Vancian. I mean, can it be true when there are no wizards or clerics, but rather more flexible Sorcerers and Favored Souls with no limitations?
Wizards in PoE aren't sorcerers though, you still have to memorize spells in your grimoire. You also only get very limited number of spells on level ups and have to scribe most of them, some only being available that way (Ninagauth's Shadowflame, etc.).

Regardless, I think the core of Vancian magic is limited number of spells/day as a means of resource management. That's something you get regardless of class and something Tyranny does not have.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Voted PoE.

---

Setting: Tyranny
Although not an accurate reconstruction of the terrestrial Bronze Age, Terratus is more interesting and alive than Eora.

I think the ordinariness of the setting was precisely the reason why so many codexians were turned off by PoE. Personally, I found it tolerable but not in any way exciting. The game is quite uneventful to boot - p. much everything significant happens during the last few hours (the ending of Act 2 is supposed to be a big event but the way it's implemented ruins it).

Story: Tie
Neither is better because both are flawed.

Sadly, the story in PoE never goes beyond the initial shtick. (Souls and adra, man! You must give a damn... although we can't really explain why.) They shouldn't have kept Iovara secret so long. If she were able to communicate with the Watcher through dreams and visions, it would be a very nice touch. The power struggle between the Defiance Bay factions could also play a more important role in the story, escalating gradually throughout Act 2 instead of suddenly going from petty squabbles to an all-out riot.

Tyranny's storyline is disjointed and full of plot holes like any power fantasy. It's not terrible but it's not great either.

Combat/Ruleset: PoE
I don't mind cooldowns at all, but I've seen FPS games with more enemy and encounter variety than what Tyranny can offer. For a fantasy RPG that's incredibly lame and lazy.

Spell crafting is a promising feature but the implementation is lacking. Slumber is an even more OP opener than unnerfed Mental Binding, and cone spells are totally out of control in the absence of friendly fire.

Learn-by-doing skill systems are invariably broken. In Tyranny, Lore > everything else. Hey, it's time to rejoice because fun is finally allowed! Seriously speaking though, the ruleset feels like it's torn from a more complex game and hastily stitched to Tyranny (which is partially true).

Writing: PoE
In the long run any discussion regarding writing is bound to be as subjective as apples vs. oranges so I'll just say one thing here: grammar counts. Nothing breaks immersion like a broken sentence or a misspelled word (and no, patch 1.03 didn't fix them all).

Companions: PoE
I see people arguing that companions in Tyranny are better and I simply cannot take those people seriously. Edér vs. Barik, Devil of Caroc vs. Verse, GM vs. Sirin, Aloth vs. Eb, Durance vs. Lantry, anyone else vs. KiS. In each case it's hardly even a competition.

C&C: Tie
PoE doesn't have much C&C. Although it doesn't offer obviously fake choices like AAA games, the consequences are always minor and none of your choices affects how the main story will develop. In Tyranny too many events and decisions are forced via gating, triggers, and cutscenes. Like others have mentioned, branching isn't true C&C.

Music: Tyranny
No contest here.

Last edited:

imweasel

Couldn't vote because the correct option(s) are missing.

[x] Tyranny is slightly weaker than PoE, but it doesn't really matter because both are shit.
[x] The Cain/Boyarsky RPG is already leagues better than both.
[ ] Kingcomrade

Sentinel

Arcane
Couldn't vote because the correct option(s) are missing.

[x] Tyranny is slightly weaker than PoE, but it doesn't really matter because both are shit.
[x] The Cain/Boyarsky RPG is already leagues better than both.
[ ] Kingcomrade
Cain/Boyarsky project is a console Triple-A game though. Are you sure you don't want to rephrase that?

Rev

Arcane
New Vegas didn't have a truly good C&C, it had better illusion of C&C, Sawyer said so.
It depends on what you consider good C&C, if you require it to feature enourmous changes for most of the choices you make then NV wouldn't fit in that, because the main quests proceed in the same way, but you still can influence the game in many ways and most of the choices you make feel meaningful because there's often a reaction, be it minor or major, to them.
Tyranny is not on that level, though. After your big choice in Act I most of the following quests proceed on a binary and offers you very little choice. Basically you just slaughter anyone in your path, the only change is the colour of their armors.

Quillon

Arcane
It depends on what you consider good C&C, if you require it to feature enourmous changes for most of the choices you make then NV wouldn't fit in that, because the main quests proceed in the same way, but you still can influence the game in many ways and most of the choices you make feel meaningful because there's often a reaction, be it minor or major, to them.
Tyranny is not on that level, though. After your big choice in Act I most of the following quests proceed on a binary and offers you very little choice. Basically you just slaughter anyone in your path, the only change is the colour of their armors.

I have no problems nor I felt lack of C&C in NV, I love NV. But Sawyer said that there aren't good amount of C&C in NV but a smarter way of C&C that gives us the illusion, etc. Was reciting that.

For Tyranny, after act 1 everything feels repetitive cos the goal of each act is the same; removing the edicts, getting more imba per the edict.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
For Tyranny, after act 1 everything feels repetitive cos the goal of each act is the same; removing the edicts, getting more imba per the edict.
You make me wonder, are edicts the same thing as galaxy maps in kotor or armies in DA:O...?

Rpgsaurus Rex

Both were made to cash-in on fans of old RPGs and both missed what made those games good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom