Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Tyranny better than Pillars Of Eternity? DISCUSS!

Which is better?

• Total voters

pippin

Well that means the writing team for New Vegas is completely disbanded. John Gonzalez and MCA were the ones who wrote the most relevant things, along with other people like Fenstermaker.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Fenstermaker plans to stick around on a part-time basis though. :M

Tyranny was just released on November 10th.

I doubt half of the assholes who voted have gotten a chance to play it yet.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Tyranny was just released on November 10th.

I doubt half of the assholes who voted have gotten a chance to play it yet.

The Tyranny thread is dead. Most people play games within the first couple of months of release.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
No he doesn't.

Why do you insist on believing that someone with a reputation for stalking developers and having a good memory would be wrong about a thing like this?

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/89393-is-eric-fenstermaker-still-at-obsidian/page-2#entry1848444
Sorry I'm late to the party, and thanks for the congratulations! Darren pretty much said it all. It's not so much that I've "moved on from Obsidian" so much as any work I do for them in the foreseeable future would be as a contractor. We'll get that all hashed out in the near future, I'm sure. For the moment it's nice not to have to think about work for a few months after an 11-year run.

Sentinel

Arcane
No he doesn't.

Why do you insist on believing that someone with a reputation for stalking developers and having a good memory would be wrong about a thing like this?

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/89393-is-eric-fenstermaker-still-at-obsidian/page-2#entry1848444
Sorry I'm late to the party, and thanks for the congratulations! Darren pretty much said it all. It's not so much that I've "moved on from Obsidian" so much as any work I do for them in the foreseeable future would be as a contractor. We'll get that all hashed out in the near future, I'm sure. For the moment it's nice not to have to think about work for a few months after an 11-year run.
And where does that even imply that he's staying part-time? All he says is that, if he were contacted, any work he did would have to be on a part-time schedule because he's busy with his kid. Doesn't mean he specifically plans on sticking around on such a regime.
Even if it were true that he was planning on sticking around part-time, it doesn't mean that'd happen. There's usually two sides to a job relationship. It's not all up to him.

Lhynn

Arcane
Dude you dont fucking doubt Roguey.
He has cameras installed in all of their bathrooms and shit.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Well that means the writing team for New Vegas is completely disbanded. John Gonzalez and MCA were the ones who wrote the most relevant things, along with other people like Fenstermaker.
Where did you think the "Obsidian is dead" meme comes from?

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Tranny its shorter, gives you some meaningful C&C along the way and is build around good old political and social struggle vs the banal shit boring linearity and pseudo intellectual wankery about souls. As combat goes both were awful RTWP cooldowns and hole 4 lasting second powers shit. Neither very tactical nor exciting the rotten compromise between TB and RT. Setting and story in Tyranny was not something great but even with all forced SJW in bronze age silliness it was at least not bore feast Pillows were. Only thing better in Pillows were hand drawn maps and of course Avallone written companions... Heard combat was made something better but we compare 1.0 Tranny to Pillows here. So both games were shite much below FNV (Best Obsidan game since KOTOR2) and Wasteland 2 but at least the Tranny was somewhat entertaining if bought by 5$ Dora or so.

Sentinel

Arcane
Dude you dont fucking doubt Roguey.
He has cameras installed in all of their bathrooms and shit.
I just doubt his positivity (and denial). Saying "n-no b-but there's one still left guys please have hope in Obsidian writing" doesn't make it true.
Even if he is a part-time employee, he has no significant contribution to anything. He may write a character background, he may write an item's description, that's it. He won't be doing quests, or writing stories, or writing a companion. For all intents and purposes, he's gone for the duration of his leave.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Avellone works on half a dozen different projects at once and he writes companions for them.

Your pessimism-at-all-costs is getting kind of weird man. Is it a coping mechanism to prevent yourself from being disappointed?

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
Avellone works on half a dozen different projects at once and he writes companions for them.

Your pessimism-at-all-costs is getting kind of weird man. Is it a coping mechanism to prevent yourself from being disappointed?
Name those projects. TToN (not writing story, just a single character IIRC); DivOS 2 (writing a single background lol), and what else? I know he's working on Prey 2 but he's a main writer on that.
Does a companion make a game good? Because Codex universally agreed in 2015 that Durance was GOAT but PoE was still shit regardless.

I could say the same about your optimism. Is it a salesman's mechanism to get others to talk about a company that has given dead proof its writing is BioWare levels of dull (pretty much all the writing staff worked on Tyranny, except two PoE writers who are still at the company - Olivia and the other woman, Vera or something), and maybe buy their games as well?

Korron

Cipher
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
:troll:

[edit]

I actually liked Prometheus. It just had some awkward dialogue/acting. Everything else was fine.
tumblr_ma8rgsLCet1rv71rao1_500.gif

Sorry but the black goo impregnation subplot was dumb as fuck.

I haven't played Tyranny yet as my RPG backlog is ridiculous and I'm not dropping money on it till a steam sale. That being said, I enjoyed the dragon and lich fights in PoE. Is it true you fight only humanoids in Tyranny? Is there any fights with enemies that can match the grandiose nature of PoEs fantasy creatures? The setting may not lend itself to it, but it would be a negative to me. I know there are many great RPGs that exclude those enemies, but it's something I expect from a nu-BG game.

Tigranes

Arcane
"Is there any fights with enemies that can match the grandiose nature of PoEs fantasy creatures?"

You are looking for literally any game other than Tyranny, for this specific thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom