Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Tyranny better than Pillars Of Eternity? DISCUSS!

Which is better?

• Total voters

Severian Silk

:troll:

[edit]

I actually liked Prometheus. It just had some awkward dialogue/acting. Everything else was fine.
tumblr_ma8rgsLCet1rv71rao1_500.gif

Sorry but the black goo impregnation subplot was dumb as fuck.

I haven't played Tyranny yet as my RPG backlog is ridiculous and I'm not dropping money on it till a steam sale. That being said, I enjoyed the dragon and lich fights in PoE. Is it true you fight only humanoids in Tyranny? Is there any fights with enemies that can match the grandiose nature of PoEs fantasy creatures? The setting may not lend itself to it, but it would be a negative to me. I know there are many great RPGs that exclude those enemies, but it's something I expect from a nu-BG game.
The movie is presenting a moral. If you have faith in God you can survive any sort of impregnation!

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
After Parch 3.05, Pillars of Eternity IS the better game. Tyrannys greatest problems are, that it is too short. Not only because of the small maps, you really can see where they cut content out, so they can make a trilogy out of it. Which is sad, because the story isn't that bad.

As for companions: They don't get enough time to shine and the fear/loyalty System is badly broken. One good talk with Verse and you learned everything from her you need. I don't know, maybe they should have cut the game down to three companions, so that they could have paced the story better.

Riel

Arcane
I found Tyranny to have one of the best plot/inmmerion starts in the recent time: serious, immersive and original. Unfortunately it soon started to fall short of expectations. You are supposed to be a person of authority, with over 3 years of service under Kyros during which you were a key piece in expediting the conquest of quite a few places, but it's not long into the game that you realize that the "be an evil, cold hearthed adjudicator of an evil overlord" is just a thin layer of paint over your usual cRPG in which you spend most of the time playing errand boy for every character around who needs your help. Quests should not have included fetch or rescue missions, those are for weak do gooders, they should be about accomplish your role as adjudicator: investigate people, root out heresy to Kyros, enforce Kyros laws and you shouldn't receive them from those of lower station than you, but either from yourself or your immediate superior, Tunon.

A pity, this game had huge potential but failed to embrace its theme to its last consequence. The premise remains an unexplored one and I am sure the first developer doing it decently has the potential to create a cult classic.

PS: The magic system is fun, only thing I dislike is that magic is available to every one at no cost.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I hate to say it, because I think that Tyranny is largely mechanically superior (but with somewhat more shallow interactions between various mechanics, such as weapons/armor), has a more interesting setting and a better premise, and has altogether a higher potential than the relatively droll nature of Pillars of Eternity and it's universe (the only truly interesting part of PoE:s setting being the adra and soul-based mumbo-jumbo, the rest of it being quite uninteresting), but Pillars of Eternity is the clear winner as far as I'm concerned.

Despite the potential of Tyranny, it is desperately unfinished, lack any real options, and comes with so many narrative issues and mistakes that it's not worth considering worthy of a participation award. All the various pieces are there, but the game could've used another 6 months to a year in development, just adding polish and character options that makes sense in the narrative, rather than an arbitrary choice of rails so early on in the game that you have no idea what's even going on.

Pillars of Eternity may have it's large share of issues, but it's a consistent narrative with plenty of options, even if the level of reactivity is poor based on your various character choices (Priests of Eothas, for example, is a particularly laughable experience), you almost always have a range of options on how to react in dialogues, and when you don't, those really do stand out as oddities, such as not being able to take the nobleman's niece back to her uncle in Dyrford Village, or how you have to be in an initially oppositional relationship to Raedric, no matter your actual intention. In Tyranny, however, your reaction is almost always a foregone conclusion based on unrelated choices made earlier, and instead of having a range of dialogue or situational options to characterize the player character, your character has been pretty much decided for you, unless you want to act like a schizophrenic sociopath with a severe case of Chaotic Stupid. I swear, the writing fluctuates between "totally reasonable guy that's with the Empire for various reasons" and "murderhobo imperialist/barbarian multiclass: the game".

Pillars of Eternity, unfortunately, wins by walkover. And it's a crying shame, too.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
I know I will play PoE as another class to try other things.

I probably liked Tyranny more because of story and aesthetics. I want to experience other paths. But combat is so devoid of challenge after Act 1 and combat is so repetetive I won't do it till they give this game a rebalance treatment the same way they did with PoE. I will be very disappointed if they don't.

I like Tyranny more but right now PoE is a better game.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm not really done with my first Tyranny playthrough yet, so I can't comment on which is best overall, but I can say this for sure:

PoE combat and encounter design >>>>>>> Tyranny combat and encounter design.

Also, I really don't like Tyranny's art style. It looks too much like a Disney cartoon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom