Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Isometric 2D Art Appreciation Thread

Kem0sabe

Arcane
*Fixed the title as apparently this thread is no longer constrained by silly RPG die rolls. :)

I´m currently replaying The Temple of Elemental Evil, by Troika, with the Circle of 8 mod, and i´m awestruck by the amazing background art of the game world.

The little details and especially the design and crispness of the art is simply beyond anything i have experienced with traditionally more lauded games like those spawned off the infinity engine. Not only that but the 3d character models themselves, their animations, the cloaks, weapons, attacks and magic effects all look great and fit perfectly into the background art.

I hope recently announced isometric RPG "reimaginings" like project infinity eternity and Shadowrun are at least on par with this 2003 game in terms of art. Would be great.

What other hand drawn art has caught your imaginations?

51774-the-temple-of-elemental-evil-a-classic-greyhawk-adventure-windows.jpg

toee_no_fog.jpg

hedrack.jpg

Larendav

Educated
The isometric perspective really helps me appreciate the background details more. Those Wasteland 2 & Divinity: Original Sin screenshots look kick ass too. Oh, and by the way, its Project Eternity.
Divinity_OriginalSin_20-610x343.jpg
Divinity_OriginalSin_01.jpg

Wizfall

Cipher
I don't understand why isometric game are almost not being made anymore.
The sales usually followed well when the game was good.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
PE-TempleEntrance01-2560x1440.jpg

And Project Eternity of course. It looks nice and the coloring is spot on, but something that for me makes or brakes the immersion of playing in these types of games are the subtle animations in the scenery, smoke from chimneys, the water flowing or the lights flickering.

It´s a pity they haven´t showed us anything in motion, but crossing my fingers that it will be awesome. :)

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
It would be one of the best if we only looked at the backgrounds, but its sprites are meh and menus pretty hideous which creates an unpleasant contrast.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Fuck static isometric backgrounds like those in the IE games, they may look great but they fuck with my world interactivity, an essential feature of the genre. A proper RPG should allow the player to walk over roofs, swim or destroy obstacles in a non-scripted way first, then be pretty. Fuck the Infinity Engine games btw, I killed the shopkeeper of Easthaven to take all his shit and I got nothing, fuck that shit.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
It would be one of the best if we only looked at the backgrounds, but its sprites are meh and menus pretty hideous which creates an unpleasant contrast.

Yeah, the shitty sprites have always annoyed me in IE games. Planescape did good tho, but it didn´t have armors showing so there's that.

25-19.jpg

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
What was so bad about IWD's UI art? I loved it, especially in the first one

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
What was so bad about IWD's UI art? I loved it, especially in the first one
Probably the fact that it was just recycled and slightly rehashed stuff from BG (the only IE game which didn't look that good even upon release) which, especially in case of paperdolls and item icons, looked out of date and created the unpleasant contrast when confronted with the rest of the game and was also a testament of laziness.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
:what:

What kind of monitor do you have there? The sprites etc. would feel way too small for me, same as the UI

joeydohn

Savant
:what:

What kind of monitor do you have there? The sprites etc. would feel way too small for me, same as the UI

It's not mine so I'm not sure, but the screenshot is a little too big for 2560x1600 so it's probably been cropped. If the screen were around 30" I think the sprite's sizes would be fine, but using a monitor like that isn't.

It's possibly a CRT like the Sony FW900.

Last edited:

AgentBJ09

Educated
To ask the question like this is to answer it.
Ah, but we should also consider that we could stress "sales", indicating that people would only buy it with a 75% discount...

That makes me question why devs and publishers keep trying to move to digital if something like that is the case. Unless that is done to encourage folks to make purchases they don't need to make.

But anyway, of the isometric RPGs I've played, Divine Divinity and Inquisitor have some of the better art and depicted worlds I've seen.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
To ask the question like this is to answer it.
Ah, but we should also consider that we could stress "sales", indicating that people would only buy it with a 75% discount...

That makes me question why devs and publishers keep trying to move to digital if something like that is the case. Unless that is done to encourage folks to make purchases they don't need to make.

But anyway, of the isometric RPGs I've played, Divine Divinity and Inquisitor have some of the better art and depicted worlds I've seen.
Distribution was always one of the most expensive parts of selling a game. Publishers probably make about the same amount of money selling a game online directly for $15 as they did selling it at Gamestop for $50.

Angthoron

Arcane

Why do you keep answering your own questions? WHY?!

Anyway, it's also done because there's less money spent on logistics and publishing aspect of the shebang, while they keep the prices at roughly the same level anyway = better overall earnings.

What would be more interesting is why they don't have lower entry-level prices to bump up the early sales. I guess the current model is profitable enough, but basically, lower starting price = lower "casual" piracy, and thus less of a need to spend on DRM measures and a better outlook and reputation, so wtf.

AgentBJ09

Educated
Distribution was always one of the most expensive parts of selling a game. Publishers probably make about the same amount of money selling a game online directly for $15 as they did selling it at Gamestop for $50.

I would believe that, if not for those same folks selling games like Hitman 5 at $50 on Steam and such with no retail disk available.

But anyway, in terms of art alone, isometric is a better way to go for games. It doesn't have as bad a pop-in problem as textures do on games like RAGE and such.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom