Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Isometric gameplay can't hold a candle to first person real-time

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Van Buren. Yes it looked very promising, but I know this will upset some old school types, but I am glad they Bethesda-ified it. Isometric gameplay cannot hold a candle to first person real-time. It's a far stronger & deeper core concept. And it doesn't have to mean it suddenly cannot have deep C&C, hardcore gameplay, survival elements and so on either.

Zboj Lamignat: Isometric fag :P

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Van Buren. Yes it looked very promising, but I know this will upset some old school types, but I am glad they Bethesda-ified it. Isometric gameplay cannot hold a candle to first person real-time. It's a far stronger & deeper core concept. And it doesn't have to mean it suddenly cannot have deep C&C, hardcore gameplay, survival elements and so on either.

Zboj Lamignat: Isometric fag :P
:nocountryforshitposters:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Isometric and first-person are both great for different reasons. Let's not out ourselves as truly insane and debate which is better.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
You disagree first person real-time gameplay is not a stronger core concept? Read on..

Last edited:
You are a retard. First person is not inherently better than isometric and that does not need to be explained.

Angthoron

Arcane
Cut the guy some slack, he's a refugee of a first-person game where jumping is impossible.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Cut the guy some slack, he's a refugee of a first-person game where jumping is impossible.

There is no slack to cut. It's a deeper core concept. It's not my fault some dinosaurs are oblivious to this.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There is no slack to cut. It's a deeper core concept. It's not my fault some dinosaurs are oblivious to this.
I know what you mean man. I was totally enjoying a game of Civ4, but then I got to a body of water and my spearman couldn't even jump over it or swim through it. Totally ruined my immersion and dropped the game as fast as I could.

No Great Name

Arcane
Yes, I have been a retard with my wording. It is not inherently better for all gametypes, such as strategy. For most types of cRPG or a shooter though I believe it is. But variety is nice of course.

It cannot be denied it results in superior interactivity though, and realistically superior immersion also.
RPGs value these things a lot, after all.
Yea you're right. Fallout 1 should've been in first person perspective.

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
Oh hey, another refugee! Hi, CyberP.

Edit: Ah, the good ol "I like this more because of personal taste, therefore you're a retard if you don't like it too" debate.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
It's kind of funny, but first person games, on average, are probably the least interactive, because of the presentation requirements. An isometric game, for instance, can easily have environmental destruction, because nobody's going to zoom in on a destroyed wall and wonder whether it looks good. This is why so few FPS have destructible environments beyond what is explicitly scripted.

Roguelikes on the other hand are, by far, the most interactive games, simply because they don't need to worry about presentation. If an action makes logical sense, they can allow it with little added effort.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
^On average perhaps. But Looking Glass' games and Bethesda's are a major exception.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
First person view -> no party+real time combat ->less depth. Also a true RPG isn't supposed to require twitch reflexes. Nothing wrong with SS2/Deus Ex/VTMB but the default RPG should be 2D/Isometric and have turn based combat and party creation or at least include recruitable party members

Realism/immersion arguments are retarded because real life is boring and games are games

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I think first-person might be better than third-person in all genres for me. I wish the Gothic and Risen games were first-person, for example. I think it works better (with mouse control anyway) for that kind of game.

However isometric or "top-down" perspectives are entirely different and equally valid.

No Great Name

Arcane
Some RPGs work better in first person, others don't. Objectively, one is not always superior to the other.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yes it is, shit head.

So you would argue that first person is not inherently better than behind the player third person also?
It most certainly is superior for realistic & deeper interactivity. Realistically for any sane person it's superior for immersion also.

Isometric, third person and first person are perspectives. They all fit their respective games. Tomb Raider wouldn't be Tomb Raider if it wasn't 3rd person. Thief wouldn't be Thief if it wasn't 1st person. Baldur's Gate wouldn't be Baldur's Gate if it wasn't isometric.

You wouldn't be retarded if you weren't an idiot.

Garrettt

Educated
My friend says you guys smell like poo so nuahh!

Honestly you're both retards quit going back and forth like a bunch of children.

Gentle Player

Arcane
Realistically for any sane person it's superior for immersion also.

Actually, sane people don't talk about immersion in regards to video games because it's nothing more than a marketing buzzword. The one (Oxford English) dictionary definition of "immersion", other than to immerse an object into liquid, is simply "Deep mental involvement in something". Therefore it's entirely subjective - I could be fully immersed in exploring the contents of my nose with my finger, yet may struggle to keep interested in a first person game. That doesn't mean picking one's nose is inherently more "immersive" than playing New Vegas, rather it's dependent on the individual and his state of mind, and not the "something". Also of note is that the only definition of "immersive" that I could find is purely technical ("(Of a computer display or system) generating a three-dimensional image which appears to surround the user.") and makes no reference to any effect on one's emotions or whatever; I've also never seen it used in any other way except by marketing/PR dullards - hell, even the spell-checker is flagging it as a non-existent word as I type it.

As for interactivity, it depends entirely on the game and not the perspective - an FPS like Doom is typically less interactive than Fallout 1, and the top-down Ultima VII is just as interactive as any TES game, perhaps more so.

Divinity: Original Sin
Picking nose 3rd person view:

XNA_Lara_Picking_Nose_by_Ranock.jpg

Much more immersive picking nose from 1st person perpective.

screenshot_pc_prey018.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom