Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Isometric gameplay can't hold a candle to first person real-time

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
OP edited his post. :decline:

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
However, i's still just "click on this/execute command".

And what exactly would be gained by having you move your fingers accurately in a well-simulated animation-simulation through oculus rift rather than looking at a big screen and clicking the left mouse button?

As Lyric Suite said, simple motions like picking things up are done with little effort in real life. As little effort as clicking a button in a game takes. So having to do a complex movement for it is jarring, and it becomes a tedious gimmick after a while where you wish that the game had simple button-clicking rather than taking so much effort to just pick up a coin.

You're forgetting other senses that over time will be introduced: touch, smelll, and so on. Forgetting these additional senses, it's not just anims we are talking here. Imagine actual lockpicking, for example (though personally I'd prefer half of the picking relied on stats, but then again learning such a real world skill would be useful...).

"Actual content is what makes a game immersive, not the presentation as you falsely believe"

Both are just as important. I already said it's the cumulative whole.

OP edited his post. :decline:

:codexisfor:

RPG Codex has lost this one. I expect a formal apology from all of you that was rude, all of the horrible names you called me.
As I said, OP was poor wording. One of you was irresponsible and decided to make it into a textual brawl that would catch everyone's eye.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You're forgetting other senses that over time will be introduced: touch, smelll, and so on. Forgetting these additional senses, it's not just anims we are talking here. Imagine actual lockpicking, for example (though personally I'd prefer half of the picking relied on stats, but then again learning such a real world skill would be useful...).

Holy fucking shit, can you imagine the costs of creating such an experience? Animation budgets for something as shitty as Bioware underwear-sex are already through the roof, not to mention the full voice acting of every single NPC ever no matter the importance. A ton of money is blown on such things already, now imagine the costs of trying to accurately re-create the smell of every single in-game area, or even every single object if you want to go into detail. If anything, such an experience will actually lessen the immersion-level that would be attained by highly interactive content, because the costs for creating each piece of content would be so high that not much content can be created before it becomes too expensive. Short five-hour games with budgets in the million but content as shallow as a puddle would be the consequence - you know, kinda like those over-produced Call of Duty clones that look like movies with effects and animations and dramatic voice acting... and linear corridors of respawning enemies because they didn't have any budget left to implement any actual gameplay.

I have thought about good ways to make Elder Scrolls sized games with tons of good worthwile content and interactivity myself, and I see the solution in giving voice acting only to some NPCs, maybe 25%, those who feature heavily in the important story arcs, while giving all others simple text dialog windows like in Morrowind, because this is the only way to have a lot of text in the game without having the voice acting costs rise to ridiculous levels.

tl;dr: If you want a sufficiently complex and detailed game that is immersive through its content, you will have to reduce the costs of the game's presentation, be it by having less voice acting or by scrapping unneccessary animations. I have no idea how it will look like in 20 years, but nowadays AAA production values are already high as fuck and I don't see that changing anytime soon, especially if you want "detail" like every single fart of your character being animated.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Yes, it would be very costly. That's besides the point though.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
There is one or two mods here that are wholly irresponsible.

:nocountryforshitposters:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Welcome to rpgcodex CyberP :lol:

It's The most prestigious cRPG magazine and a place where moderators intervene only if you've gone too far, or ,mostly, if they want to fuck with you.

If you survive this baptism of fire you may become a long lasting member, if not...

:qwinn:
:drog:

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
I cannot be a functioning member without the ability to edit. As you've seen, sometimes I make mistakes.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Baptism of fire? For the most part I won this round. Why should I face the moderator's trolling? Why can't we have sensible discussion? Why can't the place be run with just a little more discipline?
Rules are necessary for a properly functioning institution, otherwise it's just anarchy.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
^I guess you missed the part where the mods made it into a drama? I'd prefer sensible discussion.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Yes. When I get called names I tend to return ball. That's why there is meant to be rules, to keep discussion on course instead of it turning into immature flaming and what have you...

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
But I guess that's how it's always been. Fair enough (or not), lock the thread and end this nonsense.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Okay, let's assume there is a good and immersive first person game, using a normal LCD screen and mouse+kb controls.
Keyboard and mouse are immersion breaking. You need waggle sticks and motion capture suit for a truly immersive game experience

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yes, it would be very costly. That's besides the point though.

No, it's not. Prohibitive costs in effects mean less budge left for actual content. It matters if you actually want to see a game, rather than just fap about the fantasy of one, because games actually cost money and devs want to eat and not sell their house, their car and their wife in order to finance your dream game with no chance to break even.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Sorry JarlFrank, we can no longer continue this discussion. I have been purged.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom