Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software It's another Demon's Souls thread god damnit

CrimHead

Scholar
Wanna fight about it? *come at me bro.jpg*

Before we proceed, let's take a look at how weeaboo this shit is, because this really just sets a whole new standard for japfaggotry. (nb4 1eyedking)

demons_soul_profilelarge.jpg

demonsouls1-thumb-640xauto-9121.jpg

ss-010.jpg

demonssoulsscreen1.jpg

4506241aaa.jpg

demons-souls-best_1790497b.jpg

Wow. That's like, totally kawaii desu and stuffs. How about a video showcasing the level design?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDkebqWdHhQ

ololol linear corridor bullshit. Typical japs. Shit's so casual.

Now if you haven't discovered I'm being sarcastic by now, please vacate the thread and/or go fuck yourself immediately.

In a move that will assuredly surprise absolutely no one on this forum due to lack of interest, I recently purchased a Playstation 3. Why you might ask? Ps3 has no gaems! Well, that is apart from Demon's Souls.

I've played about 25 hours so far (no life syndrome :() and I must confess, this game is a fuckin' masterpiece. The level design is fantastic hearkening back to the early days of FPSes, with tons of secret areas, branching paths, optional encounters, and cool places to explore. There's an amazing amount of variation in elevation and environment, and the fantastic art direction and minimalist soundtrack gives the game a wonderfully grim "you're on your own, faggot" feeling.

But one of the coolest and most innovative things about this game is *you're not on your own*. The game has awesomely unique multiplayer (the first of it's kind really) that, rather than standing apart from the game as a novelty or distraction, is integral to the experience and ties in with the story, helping with world immersion. When you die, you lose your body and become a soul. When in soul form your health is drastically lowered, so you obviously want to be in body form as much as possible. Now, to regain your form, you can either use a rare item, help a random player by defeating a boss in his world, or invade another player's world and kill him. You can even become a boss in another player's world! It's all very awesome.

The game rewards and encourages a very careful, methodical, thoughtful play style. You must master every enemy's unique timing, and learn to roll, parry, and block correctly. If you take things slow, outfit yourself appropriately, and have a solid build, you'll almost invariably live. There are no cheap shooting opponents here ala Ninja Gaiden. If you die, it's your fault, not the game's.

I'd heard alot about the game's difficulty before buying it, and let me tell you, this game does not disappoint in that department. This game is no joke. This game does NOT fuck around. Having trouble with that boss? How about we have another of the same boss come in to slap your shit just as you were about to win? This isn't ZOMG TEH HARDEST GAME OF ALL TIME, like many are claiming, but it's definitely one of the hardest action rpgs I've ever played.

Now, to counterbalance this difficulty, when a player on your server dies, it leaves a blood stain. By touching this blood stain, you can view how that player met his end, cautioning you as to the various hazards around the level. You can also leave messages for other players, though I would've preferred to see those expanded upon (you must choose from presets in a template).

All and all this is a great game with grim atmosphere, awesome art direction, innovative multiplayer, brutal difficulty, and, from the looks of it, a very long campaign and immense re-playability. Already I've had multiple experiences in this game that trump even some of my fondest "this is just too awesome" moments in gaming. Most notably an hour long fight with another player that included me chasing him down a long chasm lined with a crumbling boardwalk, and culminated with me slapping him with my meat cleaver (no homo) into a lava pit. P. badass.

So yeah, if you have a ps3, and haven't played this game, you should have your anus reamed by a gigantic nigger cock.

Now I've got to go put some more hours in, see you faggots later :thumbsup:

ZbojLamignat

Educated
This game's pretty good, but the way people get all agitated and butthurt about it is a typical example of ps3 user base consumer guilt and forced fanboyism.

"Omg, I bought a shit console with no good games, but it's the best because it is, omg, there is this one game that is actually pretty good, haha, suck it haters, you can't play it, I can, you suck, you are gay, best game ever!" etc.

CrimHead

Scholar
I haven't had much problem with black phantoms. If they come, I usually run back to the start of the level to look for soul signs so I can get 2 blue phantoms to help me out :smug:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
CrunchyHemorrhoids said:
I like the sober look of the characters/armor in those pics, but http://www.gametrailers.com/video/revie ... ouls/57297 shows that higher levels devolve into buster swords and typical rpg faggot fashion.
I watched my friend play, and while you can get stupidly large swords, they are actually appropriately cumbersome. As in, you get one swing and then you have to spend time getting ready to swing again.

CrimHead

Scholar
Yeah, the stupidly large swords are cool in this game. They're extremely slow. You have to learn how to keep your distance and time your attacks properly so you don't leave yourself open after you swing (animation between attacks takes fuckin' forever). Besides, don't act like they don't look cool as fuck.

In other news: I just got my shit slapped by p. much everything in 4-2. Since I'm stubborn and/or somewhat retarded, I tried it about... eh 20 times. Not happening. Gonna have to come back to that one.

Vagiel

Augur
You should check out kings field. Demon souls is much more streamlined and geared towards combat compared to it.

Ermm

Erudite
Not really that bad, but guy in third picture looks bad.

Actually this game can get away with big sword, since considering disadvantages of such equipment, and that you are not Cloud Strife or Mister.T from Final Fantasy VII

Tycn

Savant
I don't think so. Not being twelve is hardly sufficient justification for wielding something as ridiculous as a tombstone on a stick.

Castanova

Prophet
Game is indeed fucking awesome. And because it's made by the Japanese there is actually some remote hope that the sequel will also be fucking awesome.

New Game+ is where it really gets brutal, though. Enemy HP +40% and they do much more damage too. Even my Temple Knight "Paladin" who faceraped the entire game the first time around got "stuck" in New Game+ until I gave up for the time being.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Magic Users rape the fuck out of everything in this game. Super easy mode, but also fun. You actually do feel like a proper Wizard, and you aren't completely useless as soon as you create your character either. And you don't run out of mana after 3 spells.

CrimHead

Scholar
720p

sad_frog.jpg

Oh shit you changed my mind prosper dude

I hate this game now

Actually I haven't seen any of those weapons yet. Must be rare and/or very high level.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The first 2 can be found under special circumstances. The third can be made iirc. But actually wielding it in one hand like in the pic wouldn't actually happen unless you had some retarded strength focused build, and even then weapons are slower and more awkward in one hand than 2, which is especially noticeable on an already slow and awkward weapon like those things.

I also wouldn't really say 2 handers are where the game shifts to at high levels either. Assuming you're even a melee fucker, halberds are pretty sick for the whole game due to their range, speed, and attack variety (You can use a halberd in a narrow hallway or doorway, you can't use a bigass sword without getting massive recoil from wall hits and being fucked. But the polearms also have wide area attacks.)

Shields are also an important factor, and a good one will be heavy, heavy enough that it + a heavy sword is pushing your encumbrance even before you get into armor. And encumbrance runs off a separate stat than weapon weight limits, so if you're strong enough to hold a fucking two hander in one hand, you're probably lacks the stamina to swing it more than twice before resting, or the endurance to move around like a fighter instead of a broken marionette.

If your fighting style focuses on counter attacks or backstabbing, daggers do as much damage as a claymore anyways. There's also a few real badass one handers like Blind that require crazy dex instead of strength to use properly.

My personal style when I beat the game was to use the halberd + shield mostly, and swap out for my giant sword (Just a plain giant sword forged to add magic damage, none of the fancy ones pictured there) vs enemies whose guard I wanted to break down. Or to be more precise, the weapon was so fucking massive when I hit a humanoid that wasn't guarding, he'd go flying like he got hit by a car and I could pound him as he tried to get back up. But I had to run around in rags without a shield to use that thing and retain mobility. There's no way the guy with the club-sword can actually run or dodge roll if it's a pic taken from a normal playthrough. Of those 3 weapons, only the 2nd one is one you're really meant to use, and (surprise) it's not actually that heavy, since it doesn't have a normal blade.

Ermm

Erudite
I actually have thought about buying PS3, but how goes with piracy scene with it?
For me it is like in that Martini commercial.

No piracy = No party

Seriously, most nowaday games are just so painful boring to replay that I mostly do not play them, because only for 5% nowadays have interesting replay value, and mostly games seems as a waster some time. After some regrettable games I bought, I jumped aboard into the big pirate ship, that is nicknamed as Bittorent.

And I agree it was FAIL when they did not release this on PC.
Square Enix 2-3 years ago released some high budget japshit, but as I heard Boilerplate loved it on PC, so I don't know how in reality it turned out.

DefJam101

Arcane
Damn shame. This shit would get played to death on the PC and everyone would excuse the copy protection (due to the game's multiplayer features).

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Demon's Souls is great. It's nice to see a console game that encourages good play and punishes mistakes (brutally, usually). This is the best action-RPG since Morrowind, at least.

Sure, a few of the weapons and armor look retarded, but the game's visuals are pretty amazing overall.

Rasputin said:
And I agree it was FAIL when they did not release this on PC.

You complain about the game not coming out on PC, while bragging about pirating games? Pretty lame, bro. Demon's Souls would fall in your 5% with good replay, because different character builds have different styles of play. Magic is definitely easy-mode, though.

Basically any kind of ranged attack is easy mode. Halberd-types are easy mode as well (two-handed). Atmosphere is superb though. Area design is absolutely top notch. Areas like 3-1/3-2/5-2 are some of the most well designed I've seen in a long time in their combination of environment and enemy types. Outside of the godmode weapons the game is pretty reasonably balanced. 90% of bosses take absolutely no skill to beat sadly, the real difficulty is in the normal enemies and not getting overconfident. Being a black phantom is pretty fun, though I wish there was more incentive to PvP.

I wouldn't really say there is much replay value, though. Assuming you didn't go easy-mode on your first playthrough there really isn't much to do on later ones unless you obsess over finding loot or really want to examine the finer points of playing dagger vs sword builds. Playing an actually different character archetype won't be fun because that just puts the game on easy mode. 95% of the game's fun is about exploring the areas and enemy types anyways; once you have finished the game replaying it just feels like a hollow experience to me. It's one of those games in which artificially induced amnesia would help a lot.

CrimHead

Scholar
Overweight Manatee said:
Being a black phantom is pretty fun, though I wish there was more incentive to PvP.

What's the incentive to play multiplayer in any game? It's all about fun, mang. Nothing like invading someone's world, chasing them down, finding out you're outnumbered 3 to 1, and ultimately coming out on top by using the environment against them (pushing them off cliffs, luring them into a mob).

I'm almost done with it, and I'm definitely going to NG+. Supposedly it gets a hell of a lot harder.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom