Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software It's another Demon's Souls thread god damnit

Exhuminator

Arcane
Another thing with regards to difficulty is that much of the difficulty of KF and Shadow Tower can be alleviated through online guides
Very true. When I played through all the KFs and STs, I did not use guides. Yes that made the games much harder, but also more fulfilling. In the past I've found that guides can spoil surprises and suck all the mystique out of an experience. I tend to not touch a guide unless I'm absolutely ridiculously stuck. And then only for that one instance. Anyway my point is, definitely don't go into KF or ST with a guide in tow. Rely on yourself and the experiences will be more rewarding and more exciting.

sullynathan

Arcane
So I started a third playthrough even after I said I wouldn't play the game and the game still fucked me. I got red phantom garl vinland this time but his stupid sister doesn't spawn in game. Another flaw is the way difficulty with NG+ is handled, it ridiculously ups the health of certain bosses like the storm beasts, and drags the fight far longer than necessary.

So I started a third playthrough even after I said I wouldn't play the game and the game still fucked me. I got red phantom garl vinland this time but his stupid sister doesn't spawn in game. Another flaw is the way difficulty with NG+ is handled, it ridiculously ups the health of certain bosses like the storm beasts, and drags the fight far longer than necessary.

Why the fuck are you still playing this game if you didn't like it? :lol:

sullynathan

Arcane

Why the fuck are you still playing this game if you didn't like it? :lol:
I haven't played it in a 3 weeks now, that was the last straw for me to be honest. And the bullshit upgrade system is a drag, so I said fuck it Demons Souls is shit.

sullynathan

Arcane
Yeah, 3 weeks ago

Nigga i love Demon's Souls and it took me about 2 years to do 3 playthroughs, you're doing in it in like 2 months despite hating the game, you're a true hero :salute:
I'm pretty good at these games and demons souls is really short. You can beat a world in 30 minutes - 1 hour. Since northern regalia is so op and nearly all bosses are weak against magic, it's easy to run through but I'm frustrated by how broken it is

I'm pretty good at these games and demons souls is really short. You can beat a world in 30 minutes - 1 hour. Since northern regalia is so op and nearly all bosses are weak against magic, it's easy to run through but I'm frustrated by how broken it is

Still doesn't make sense to me, but whatever.

Villagkouras

Arcane
I borrowed a friend's PS3 and started the game. I had to play DeS. I beat 1-1 easily, but 1-2 is kicking my ass (fucking dogs). Also, Phalanx was a very strange choice for first boss, aside the one that fucked me in the tutorial without even seeing its name.

I'm really impressed by how good this game looks considering it its age and obligatory 720p. I expected it to be much worse.

Also, I hate the PS3 controller. It is really small. How on earth do people play with them?

But the thing that puzzles me is that when I try to restart the game after a break, my TV simply refused to change resolution other than 576p, when at first everything was fine. A lot of people seem to have this problem, but there are no final solutions. I did the 2 beeps startup of the console, but didn't work. Does anyone know what to do?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hah, I hated the XBOX 360 controller, so used to the PS3 one! But now I have used one for the PC for a few months and find it hard to go back to the PS3. All a matter of getting used to it. (And not having freakishly large/small hands...)

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
3-1(Tower of Latria) is my favorite place in this whole series, I really wish there was more places with that creepy atmospheric world.
Dude the screams of the prisoners, the song of the former royal, and those Cthulhu guards.

It's a gud level.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's the best world. But I also like the part with the walkways and the horrible swamp at the bottom, 3-2 I think? It was so dark and weird.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
tumblr_ob37slq7AY1tt3wuco1_500.gif

tumblr_nz2yl75oPs1unxlj8o5_r1_500.png

tumblr_mfnhviQNI51r7lz5wo1_500.gif

tumblr_mfnhviQNI51r7lz5wo2_500.gif

tumblr_n6jma5IsYb1qep3h6o6_500.gif

Tower of Latria as a whole is the best area in any Souls game.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Pff, I always loved DeS. Still hoping for DeS 2... it'd be so nice. First, the Soulsborne gameplay never gets old, and second I liked the strange atmosphere in DeS a lot, and the 'world-stage' arcade structure, too.

Edit: that was a good video. Relevant:

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
You know, coming back to that Demon's Souls stuff, it's actually embarrassing for someone on the Codex not to like at least DeS. Some common arguments (on the Codex)

1) It's too anime. (What?)
2) It's too twitch-focused. (What? It's one of the slowest action RPGs in the world; the focus is on tactics.)
3) It's on a console. (That's like saying Chinese food is worse because you eat it with chopsticks.)

DeS and DS are shining examples what the Codex is supposed to love: innovative, interesting games with non-standard lore, a pleasant aesthetic and no handholding or dumbing down, made with no consideration for the mass market at time of inception. If anything I am surprised it didn't rank higher in our Top Ten of all time RPGs, but I suppose that's still good enough, considering the amount of people who never played it, but rated it 0.

You know, coming back to that Demon's Souls stuff, it's actually embarrassing for someone on the Codex not to like at least DeS. Some common arguments (on the Codex)

DeS and DS are shining examples what the Codex is supposed to love: innovative, interesting games with non-standard lore, a pleasant aesthetic and no handholding or dumbing down, made with no consideration for the mass market at time of inception. If anything I am surprised it didn't rank higher in our Top Ten of all time RPGs, but I suppose that's still good enough, considering the amount of people who never played it, but rated it 0.

but its console action game with huge animu swords so its weeb shit
:shitposting:

Villagkouras

Arcane
I think it's too dumb to judge the game by 2017 standards and after 4 successors. Of course it has its flaws that make me throw the controller and smash the TV, but I appreciate everything it has to offer and it's a lot.

It's like saying that the first Black Sabbath or Metallica or Iron Maiden album is trash because it has worse production than the others.

Anyway, I tackled world 2, 3-2 and 5-1. In every world I see things that were copied into other souls games like mobs, bosses and entire levels. I seem to find that DS2 had the least influences by DeS, all other games touched by Miyazaki have the same ideas at least once.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom