Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software It's another Demon's Souls thread god damnit

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Funny: I got invaded in 1-3. Almost beat the invader but lost. No biggie since it was extremely close to the beginning.

I put down my summon sign so I can regain my humanity and guess who summons me? The guy that invaded me. We kick the shit out of Penetrator.

:love:

Hey, have you tried comparing BSS from DkS with the Penetrator's Sword? Do they both have extra dmg from thrusts compared to other straight swords?

Not sure, I can test later this week.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Now play without a shield or magic and only increasing STR.
Like a man.
Jasede, manliest player.

dunno lah

Arcane
Yeah, I too need to do this with DeS. I think my biggest reason for thinking DkS was harder was because of my low SL(80), longsword only playthrough. Whereas with DeS, I twinked like hell the first time and still died countless times.

DragoFireheart

I like to think that Dark Souls world is essentially world 6-X.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Some time ago Gibbed streamed Demon's Souls debug menu shenanigans, and more cut content was found. The cut content list can be found here.

The unused enemies are really strange, as they seem to have a more King's Field artstyle when compared to the rest of DeS.
Gibbed is my favourite autist. :love:The sheer breadth of games he finds/makes cool stuff in is astounding.

So beat it nearly twice and fooled around with a few characters. Compared to Dark Souls it definitely feels a bit stale but the one thing I really liked was that it felt finished unlike DkS after Anor Londo. Carry limit FTW, DkS feels lame when you can carry 100920182012 hollow armors in your pocket.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
So I'm playing demon's souls right now and I'm having a blast. Dark Souls improved on some things, but damn this game is fantastic nevertheless.

World tendency is a pretty flawed mechanic though. For once playing online fucks it up whatever you do and even offline it's pretty crappily implemented.

Also getting faintstones is bitch so far. I want to upgrade my weapon goddammit.

DragoFireheart

I am so glad they dropped World Tenancy completely. Most annoying and arbitrary game mechanic.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Blighttown or Valley of defilement which is worse and why ?

Discuss !

I think VOD is worse. Is there a ring, like the rusted iron ring in dark souls, that increases your speed in the swamp ? That damn red phantom that attacks you, is moving at full speed.

DragoFireheart

Blighttown or Valley of defilement which is worse and why ?

Discuss !

I think VOD is worse. Is there a ring, like the rusted iron ring in dark souls, that increases your speed in the swamp ? That damn red phantom that attacks you, is moving at full speed.

5-2 is bad, but when you realize you can chug along in the swamp with regen items and bypass half the less it's much more tolerable.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
No, I don't have a PS3 or a TV at the moment.
(Or anything else for that matter, just a notebook and my clothes.)

dunno lah

Arcane
Why do they call VOD a valley? It looks more like it is underground or like an abyss. I remember playing in this world in front of my mother and she was kinda disturbed by it, likening it to hell...

Maybe it's an underground valley? ;)

For me, I find VoD much more disturbing than Blight town. It's also harder to get around in (partially because there's no rusty ring) and easier to become confused and lost. It took me awhile to locate just to locate the entrance to the boss area. The vendor is also creepier than the one(s) in Blight town.

DragoFireheart

No, I don't have a PS3 or a TV at the moment.
(Or anything else for that matter, just a notebook and my clothes.)

What if I told you Tomb of The Giants and Upper Blighttown had a child?

morpheus.png

Sure - VoD is more confusing at first but it really felt copypasted/filler to me after I finished it. Blighttown was full of awesome hand-placed annoyances which made it much more intense to get through. The bosses in VoD were just complete filler with no imagination or challenge. The only tough part for me was that island with useless loot surrounded by 4/5 giant infested dudes.

BobtheTree

Savant
Beat this recently. Yea, when compared to Dark Souls, it's not as well-designed, but it's still pretty damn great. I think there's some really great boss design here and there are moments where I wish Dark Souls took some cues from a couple of the bosses. The hub isn't as great as the open-ended nature of Dark Souls, but it serves a similar function.

Magic is also ridiculous OP in these games. I played as a Royal and it was kinda a cake walk for the first 10 or so hours. It ruins the game a bit.

DragoFireheart

Beat this recently. Yea, when compared to Dark Souls, it's not as well-designed, but it's still pretty damn great. I think there's some really great boss design here and there are moments where I wish Dark Souls took some cues from a couple of the bosses. The hub isn't as great as the open-ended nature of Dark Souls, but it serves a similar function.

Magic is also ridiculous OP in these games. I played as a Royal and it was kinda a cake walk for the first 10 or so hours. It ruins the game a bit.

If you like Demon's Souls you'll like Dark Souls 2. Dark Souls 2 is more like Demon's Souls than Dark Souls despite it LOOKING like Dark Souls.

BobtheTree

Savant
I've played the first 6 hour of Dark Souls 2 before I decided to wait for the PC port. It's good, but I had a lot of issues with it. Felt like a consolidation of Dark and Demon's design philosophies and not always for the best.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
While waiting for the release of DS2 PC and Lost Alpha I decided to make a new quality char and boy is this game immersive; I played for close to 6 hours before noticing I was hungry a few minutes ago. After going to Latria I finally got why I prefer thgis game to the others; the art design may not be as grandiose as the later Souls games but the lack of light and the overall ambiance is just magnificent. The feeling of oppresion and dread in Latria and the decay of the Valley of Defilement is simply superb. DS2 is a great game but its overall look is so much fantasy instead of dark fantasy
I love the Souls series but the original still feels so much fresher, complete and less...videogamey

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom