Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software It's another Demon's Souls thread god damnit

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Demon's Souls is brilliant. I personally think Dark Souls is still plenty oppressive and melancholy - and in that, eerily beautiful - but the sense of decay and abandonment in Demon's Souls is absolutely staggering. Latria 2 is basically the Robbing the Cradle of "atmospheric action RPG" level design. The sounds, too.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
By biggest complaint about Demon's Souls is that the ending was upbrupt and meh. I was expecting at least one big area and a boss from that last stone pillar and all I got was, basically, a cutscene.

I'm guessing it mostly comes down to what game you played first and DaS is very similar to DeS, but as a game I think DaS is better. It took everything good from DeS and improved both quantity and quality, in most cases. I found the seamless world os DaS much better than the fragmented worlds of DeS and generally exploration felt much better in DaS. DaS has a much bigger world with more variety and more breathtaking moments. For me in DeS only Latria an VoD felt special, while DaS had special moments in many parts and the way everything was interwoven and connected was superb design IMO. Also it did away with the crappy implementation of world tendency and the frustrating farming drops. Not to mention that it had more items weapons and armor, upgradeable armor, and they did a more thorough job all around (In DeS leggings and bracers had the exact same stats). DeS is a great game nevertheless and the fact that DaS feels sometimes like a remake of DeS, gives it even more merit.

Now I need a break before going into DaS2, let's see if the PC version will be any good.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah but the thing about Demons Souls is that you feel like you are in a human world where things have gone terribly bad, I men in Dark Souls you always feel like you are messing in the world of the gods where they do all sorts of godly shit but in Demons most of what is happening is beign caused by humans and ther ambition.
Just look around Latria; that huge prison (which we got only to experience half of apprently) is full of REAL shit we humans actualy did to each other. For all of Seathe's experiments he is an inhuman monster experimenting on others but most of the shit gone wrong in the world of Demons Souls is man made baby

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
By biggest complaint about Demon's Souls is that the ending was upbrupt and meh. I was expecting at least one big area and a boss from that last stone pillar and all I got was, basically, a cutscene.

The last archstone is Dark Souls (speculation).

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Yeah weird thing about that archstone, had it been developed by a american company that would have been a DLC for sure

praetor

Arcane
Yeah but the thing about Demons Souls is that you feel like you are in a human world where things have gone terribly bad, I men in Dark Souls you always feel like you are messing in the world of the gods where they do all sorts of godly shit but in Demons most of what is happening is beign caused by humans and ther ambition.
Just look around Latria; that huge prison (which we got only to experience half of apprently) is full of REAL shit we humans actualy did to each other. For all of Seathe's experiments he is an inhuman monster experimenting on others but most of the shit gone wrong in the world of Demons Souls is man made baby

damn, i never looked at it this way... really really cool

LivingOne

Savant
But that's also a problem in the context of this game.You've got this more low key set up mixed with some outlandish art design and they don't fit with each other,at times.For examlpe the 'flashier' armours belong to characters that are still normal,if famous and particularly skilled,knights(at least before they started to absorb souls like you).Armours like those usually belong to special characters close to some deity or the likes.

In short I'd say DeS occasionally felt like trying to mix GoT with Planescape.Yes it's an exaggeration and the inconsistencies aren't common but still...

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Yeah well it is a japanese game after all; cool looking armors with exotic designs have been their thing for 2000 years, in a narative where a character might have 3 lines to establish their personality or goals might not be enough but nothing says more than the image of a hulking armor to say badass or a creepy design like Yurt's to know who you are probably messing with.
I will never forget pushing Miralda down the well and going down to loot her body and finding the twin fang armor, I instantly knew she had killed him and his armor seemed pretty bad ass so it fit her beign even more badass.
Plus if you notice most of the designs are actualy pretty plain compared to the later Souls games, armor looks like armor from a museum as in it is historicaly acurate; I always found that pretty disturbing having so much real world stuff mixed in with the grotesque it makes it stand out even more.
Plus it is amazing how the light mechanic makes the game look better than DS2; most of the walls and arquitecture are rather plain when seen up close but looks just right with the poor lighting

praetor

Arcane
man, i wish there was boss armours in DeS... and special R2 attacks. and different movesets between weapons in the same class. dear god the sequels brought in so many mechanical and fashionable improvements

DragoFireheart

man, i wish there was boss armours in DeS... and special R2 attacks. and different movesets between weapons in the same class. dear god the sequels brought in so many mechanical and fashionable improvements

But the sequels don't have Blueblood Sword, Dragonbone Smasher, or Scraping Spear. Therefore they are inferior.

But the sequels don't have Blueblood Sword, Dragonbone Smasher, or Scraping Spear. Therefore they are inferior.
but they have blue flame sword, Crypt Black Sword or Santiers Spear. Therefore you can stop masturbating to DBS and use some of those ridicules ultras from DS2.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
I'm not doing this just yet but I was going to get a collector's edition of Demon's Souls when I get the money. Should I get the US one by Atlus or go for the UK/Black Phantom one by Namco?

DragoFireheart

I'm not doing this just yet but I was going to get a collector's edition of Demon's Souls when I get the money. Should I get the US one by Atlus or go for the UK/Black Phantom one by Namco?

Just get the game however you can play.

My PSN account name is Dragofireheart.

80Maxwell08

Arcane

Just get the game however you can play.

My PSN account name is Dragofireheart.
Well I used to own it but like an idiot I sold it. When I get it again I want to get one of the collector's editions since I really liked it.

praetor

Arcane
from what i could see from a quick google search, apparently they're both basically identical except supposedly the EU/UK CE has a better artbook

80Maxwell08

Arcane
from what i could see from a quick google search, apparently they're both basically identical except supposedly the EU/UK CE has a better artbook
Cool thanks. Was just wondering if anyone here knew about the quality of either. That helps a bit.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I went to my friend's house yesterday. We felt bored and I played a bit of DeS.

Now I think I hear a voice coming from my own PS3. It's the game calling - "Come play me".

How do I fight temptation:negative:

DragoFireheart

Now I think I hear a voice coming from my own PS3. It's the game calling - "Come play me".

Purchase Demon's Souls?

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron

Purchase Demon's Souls?
I already have it. But I'm sure it will turn out really time consuming. Besides I started playing Mask of the Betrayer.

...damned addictive souls gameplay.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
So, bros... I couldn't stand and started my slow and lazy walkthrough.

I have a question about good weapons for STR build. What are the best?

And also is the weapon upgrade system any different from DaS?

And maybe any general tips (or significant distinctions between DeS and DaS).

The things I figured out right now are word tendency system and lower health when killed.

BTW the beginning of the game seems kinda boring compared to DaS.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
This is gonna be some bad information but I felt like posting anyway.

The Zweihander or Claymore is fantastic, can't remember which. I used that from the beginning until the end and never felt a need to use anything else. (2-Handed, of course, because I rule.)

Yes, the weapon upgrade system is sort of different. There's an assload of ores. You should probably read a guide, or experiment.

There are no significant differences in how the game plays that I noted.

I didn't think the beginning was boring myself, but maybe you'd say the same thing about the Undead Burg if you had played DeS first. (Not sure, I played DaS first and thought the 'slowness' of DeS added to the mood and general atmosphere.)

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
The Zweihander or Claymore is fantastic, can't remember which. I used that from the beginning until the end and never felt a need to use anything else. (2-Handed, of course, because I rule.)
all right, I'll search for them

Yes, the weapon upgrade system is sort of different. There's an assload of ores. You should probably read a guide, or experiment.
I've read some stuff, but got some shallow understanding.

There are no significant differences in how the game plays that I noted.
Oh, forgot the item burden and no jumping attacks(

I didn't think the beginning was boring myself, but maybe you'd say the same thing about the Undead Burg if you had played DeS first. (Not sure, I played DaS first and thought the 'slowness' of DeS added to the mood and general atmosphere.)
Maybe, but you know, in DaS I had the feeling of a big adventure and mystery since the very beginning (Northern Undead Asylum and Firelink Shrine) and in DeS you pretty much get all the info from the beginning, go to Nexus and and to Boletarian Palace, which is pretty bland: just a castle with knights and dragons. Another thing that bothers me - most of the bosses were remade for DaS as far as I see. Otherwise the moody atmosphere and nice visuals (the game came out 5 years ago, but still looks great) keep me playing, besides it has that same addicitive kind of gameplay. Won't rush the playthrough as long as I also play MotB on PC.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
In DeS it's much more difficult to farm upgrade materials, so it's best to have a clear idea what weapons you want to use for your build. IIRC the meat cleaver is also a good weapon for strength builds. Executioner's axe is also a pretty good all around weapon.

If you're playing for the first time and you want to see white or black tendency events you should play offline because online you get the server tendency no matter what you do.

Faith upgrades add hp regeneration, magic weapons add mp regeneration or more magic power (iirc) Other upgrades are mostly about damage.

You should reallh check all these things at the das wiki at some point.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
In DeS it's much more difficult to farm upgrade materials, so it's best to have a clear idea what weapons you want to use for your build. IIRC the meat cleaver is also a good weapon for strength builds. Executioner's axe is also a pretty good all around weapon.

If you're playing for the first time and you want to see white or black tendency events you should play offline because online you get the server tendency no matter what you do.

Faith upgrades add hp regeneration, magic weapons add mp regeneration or more magic power (iirc) Other upgrades are mostly about damage.

You should reallh check all these things at the das wiki at some point.
Yup, I'll definitely read the wiki, I just wanted to know some basics before going deep into the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom